Another February 3rder

springbound

I've had a sick little girl keeping me up at nights, so no boundless energy for me. But I'm not knocked down the way I normally would be. I haven't been working out hard core but easily maintaining the cardio I had been doing.

I've also been mourning a bit. I went into this before reading the book (My book didn't arrive until 1 week in). I thought it would just jump start my diet and at the end, maybe I'd eat more veggies and fewer carbs, no big deal. But this has changed me inside. I can't go back to a modified version of what I was doing before Whole30. So I mourn because I've said goodbye to bingeing on those yummy food like substances that I engulfed before. This is a huge deal for me...

:-) thank you all for your posts. It feels good to know we are not alone in this journey.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am mou

I've had a sick little girl keeping me up at nights, so no boundless energy for me. But I'm not knocked down the way I normally would be. I haven't been working out hard core but easily maintaining the cardio I had been doing.

I've also been mourning a bit. I went into this before reading the book (My book didn't arrive until 1 week in). I thought it would just jump start my diet and at the end, maybe I'd eat more veggies and fewer carbs, no big deal. But this has changed me inside. I can't go back to a modified version of what I was doing before Whole30. So I mourn because I've said goodbye to bingeing on those yummy food like substances that I engulfed before. This is a huge deal for me...

:-) thank you all for your posts. It feels good to know we are not alone in this journey.

I am mourning with you!!

Started seeing some results.  I was able to put on a pair of slacks this morning that I hadn't been able to put on in about 6-7 months.  I actually got sick last night while eating at a friends house he had done some  BBQ'ing and when I went to eat the meat I could immediately tell there was Sugar used in the rub.  I had to set it aside and eat more salad but about 2 hours later I had a horrible pain in my stomach and out it came.  

I have been noticing the extra amounts of energy it is amazing but just like clockwork when its bedtime i'm able to just fall asleep and I haven't been waking up until my alarm goes off.  I have never been able to do this I usually would get up 2-3 times a night to use the bathroom or to adjust sleeping position or just wake up and not be able to go back to sleep.  

Keep up the great work February 3rders... 

This. Yes. Its only been two weeks and an imperfect two weeks at that and I'm already seeing that going back to what I used to do isn't really an option. I'm both scared that eventually I will slide back into my old habits and scared that I wont. I love the way I feel. Its like I have super powers. Do I really want to give up my super powers for a cupcake? A beer? A croissant? BUT I LOVE THOSE THINGS! :(

I'm not sure those cravings will ever go away. I think maybe it will just be the realization that the way I feel is more important to me than those cravings. I feel mourning is the right way to put it. I know its better this way and I'm better off without them, but its still a little sad to be breaking up with so many old friends. 

This. Yes. Its only been two weeks and an imperfect two weeks at that and I'm already seeing that going back to what I used to do isn't really an option. I'm both scared that eventually I will slide back into my old habits and scared that I wont. I love the way I feel. Its like I have super powers. Do I really want to give up my super powers for a cupcake? A beer? A croissant? BUT I LOVE THOSE THINGS! :(

I'm not sure those cravings will ever go away. I think maybe it will just be the realization that the way I feel is more important to me than those cravings. I feel mourning is the right way to put it. I know its better this way and I'm better off without them, but its still a little sad to be breaking up with so many old friends. 

I agree!  I do think that once done with the whole 30, I want to allow myself the occasional treat of something.  But, my husband and I were just talking about how much harder in some respects moderation is.  It's almost easier to be super strict with yourself rather than giving in a little bit because of the concern of NOT being able to moderate.

I finally got back to working out this morning.  I've been limited due to a recent surgery.  I took it easy, but it felt good to get active again.  My energy seems better also.  I might be noticing some difference in my body.  It is slight, but I think there's some changes to how much my belly sticks out.

Lastly, I'm on Tamoxifen after being diagnosed with breast cancer in late 2012.  Since being on it, I've struggled with joint stiffness and pain, especially in the mornings.  It suddenly occured to me yesterday that I'm not feeling nearly as stiff.  Could it be the way I'm eating or am I just adapting to the Tamoxifen?  I'm not sure, but I'm very happy to see that improving.

It's awesome that you all are experiencing such great results!  I want to experience such super powers!  But until I do, I will remain a skeptic.  Yes, I feel thinner, but giving up alcohol and dessert for two weeks would make me thinner regardless of what I was eating three times a day!  The structure and rules are good for me in terms of weight loss and keeping my eating habits in check, but so far I've definitely not experienced anything that would make me even considering giving up beer or chocolate for the long term!  

Are others experiencing "boundless energy"?  I most certainly am not.  In fact, I've still been exhausted and weak/short of breath during workouts.  I'm quite sure I'm eating enough carbs and fats... having a good portion of each in every meal.  Hope this improve soon!

I definitely don't have boundless energy! But I don't feel drained all the time like I normally do. Maybe this is what it feels like to be normal! My sleep is so much better. I was having some insomnia problems before I started this (hard time falling asleep, waking up throughout the night, wake up in the morning feeling like I was run over by a truck). Now I sleep through the night and actually wake up feeling rested!

My taste buds still crave sweets. I want to never want candy again. I just don't see that happening, though. And I can't wait to have cheesecake on March 5th. :-)

Happy Day 15!!!!  It's our Whole 30 Hump Day - ha!  I have to say I'm feeling pretty spectacular.  I don't think I'm quite at tiger blood status either but feeling energetic and like everything is humming along smoothly.  I made it through my travels this weekend and had 2 meals out.  The 1st one was a breeze because it was breakfast.  The lunch was a little more tricky.  I ended up with a pretty tasteless salad but I was compliant and pretty proud of that.  I spent most of yesterday cooking ahead again - I get a little over ambitious though and spent ALL day in the kitchen instead of working on a few other things that needed my attention.  Whoooooops......Out of everything I made, the Cauliflower Rice from WellFed was heavenly - like true comfort food on a cold night.  We also had teriyaki chicken marinated with coconut aminos for the soy sauce and sweetened with a little prune juice.  My family couldn't tell the difference and it was a big hit.  The more dishes we are eating together the better!  And, thanks so much for the travel tips - I definitely had a cooler bag with some healthy additions to round out the meal.  Have a great day!

KAE... You put the mourning into words better than I could. Totally agree.

My son has a severe nut allergy and that completely stops my ability to use any of the coconut milk/oil/flakes recipes. Anyone know of other substitutes? I'm just using olive oil with everything and just bought my first jar oh Ghee.

My son has a severe nut allergy and that completely stops my ability to use any of the coconut milk/oil/flakes recipes. Anyone know of other substitutes? I'm just using olive oil with everything and just bought my first jar oh Ghee.

I don't know of anything you can use to replace milk and flour other than coconut and almonds. Make sure you use the ghee to cook instead of the olive oil. Olive oil goes through an oxidation process (not sure if I am referring to it the right way but its bad for you lol) when heated to high temps. I used to cook with it a lot until I learned this. I use coconut oil or ghee. Ghee is just like butter so its perfect.

If you're looking for other cooking fats, duck fat, tallow and lard are also acceptable options. Fatworks is a popular source: http://fatworks.wazala.com/

Day 16 people!  Yay for us.  Over the halfway mark and going strong.

Yesterday I met some work colleagues for lunch at a mexican restaurant.  I had black coffee and water.  LOL.  I explained to them about my diet and that I didn't want to try to figure out what I could eat, so I just waited and ate back at my desk after I returned.  I will say it wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.  While I do love chips and salsa, it was really not tempting to eat any and I came back to a really yummy lunch I had prepared.  It was pretty empowering.

How's everybody else holding up?

Yesterday I was on fire, got all kinds of things done around the house and ran 5 miles.  Today, not so much.  I am dragging and just feel tired.

Yippee for day 16!  I am loving all my meals and last night my sweet (non-veggie) eating son ate a salad with me at dinner.  I am so proud!

Take care and let's finish strong!

Hello everyone! Seems like we have a range of responses. I was ticking along pretty well throughout he weekend, cooking, and getting reading for the week. This morning I had to have a blood test, so no breakfast until after 8:30. I brought get breakspfast with me and ate it t my desk, but I couldn't put together a coherent thought for the next hour or two. I went home (took a sick day) and then slept for four hours. I don't have the sniffles or a fever....don't know what is going on but I am discouraged.

I am a weak person and I did step on the scale. I know, I need to have it confiscated. I have lost a little weight,  about 5 or more pounds. Typically at this weight I am looking and feeling very slim, but looking in the mirror, I don't look any different, and my cloths don't fit any looser, and that unforgiving belt sits the same way it always does.

I promise I will hide the scale because that's not the point, but I am genuinely confused. What was lost? Everything looks and fits the same. I don't think its muscle, as workouts have been going well and I haven't lost any strength. But if it were fat or water I would see a noticeable difference. 5lbs of either of those are hard to hide. Even if it were a combo, I still don't understand how I can simply be less dense. Whats going on?

Hello everyone! Seems like we have a range of responses. I was ticking along pretty well throughout he weekend, cooking, and getting reading for the week. This morning I had to have a blood test, so no breakfast until after 8:30. I brought get breakspfast with me and ate it t my desk, but I couldn't put together a coherent thought for the next hour or two. I went home (took a sick day) and then slept for four hours. I don't have the sniffles or a fever....don't know what is going on but I am discouraged.

I've had definite moments of discouragment.  I'm still not feeling any great new energy and I'm getting tired of the work required to eat this way.  But, I've come this far and have no intention to turn back now.  I do know that regardless of how I'm feeling or if I lose weight that I'm eating healthier than I have in probably my entire life and that alone is worth it.  The cravings are definitely more under control and they were early on and I feel like I can really transition to a life of better eating and far less sugar and processed foods.  I just keep reminding myself of those things and it gets me through.  Hang in there!

I am a weak person and I did step on the scale. I know, I need to have it confiscated. I have lost a little weight,  about 5 or more pounds. Typically at this weight I am looking and feeling very slim, but looking in the mirror, I don't look any different, and my cloths don't fit any looser, and that unforgiving belt sits the same way it always does.

I promise I will hide the scale because that's not the point, but I am genuinely confused. What was lost? Everything looks and fits the same. I don't think its muscle, as workouts have been going well and I haven't lost any strength. But if it were fat or water I would see a noticeable difference. 5lbs of either of those are hard to hide. Even if it were a combo, I still don't understand how I can simply be less dense. Whats going on?

This kind of stressing out is why we ask you to not weigh yourself. There are so many factors that affect the number on the scale. I would encourage you to get the scale out of the house and spend some time focusing on the other benefits you have seen from the program thus far. If you feel like you are not seeing any benefits maybe shoot a post to the troubleshooting section including a few days or your food log, what you sleep and activity is like, and your average water intake and maybe we can help you adjust. The things I gained/lost from my W30 had little to do with the number on the scale (which for me went down 3 lbs) but have all been huge things for me in how a live my life in relationship with food and others and how I feel on a day to day basis which is so much more important than a number on the scale.

Wow. While I agree with the overall message from Physibeth, it really felt kind of harsh, as if KAE was getting scolded.

We have to remember that the program faces us to battle our food AND mental demons. KAE has been open enough to share that insecurity is one of her mental demons. That demon caused her to get on the scale and panic over the meaning.

KAE, you are doing your best. I encourage you not to give in to those insecurities. Each human body is a miracle and a mystery. The results will reveal themselves in time. Focus on health, not weight or miracle cures. Let yourself be proud of what you are doing. You are strong. You are beautiful. Have courage to believe in yourself and what you are doing.

We are here to support you.

Wow. While I agree with the overall message from Physibeth, it really felt kind of harsh, as if KAE was getting scolded.

We have to remember that the program faces us to battle our food AND mental demons. KAE has been open enough to share that insecurity is one of her mental demons. That demon caused her to get on the scale and panic over the meaning.

KAE, you are doing your best. I encourage you not to give in to those insecurities. Each human body is a miracle and a mystery. The results will reveal themselves in time. Focus on health, not weight or miracle cures. Let yourself be proud of what you are doing. You are strong. You are beautiful. Have courage to believe in yourself and what you are doing.

We are here to support you.

I apologize if my post came across as scolding or harsh. It wasn't intended that way at all. Tone gets easily lost on the internets. My desire is to encourage and help and sometimes that means a little tough love but know that my intention is never to be harsh or scolding.

I have been extremely tempted to hop on the scale myself.  And, I have to say as the honeymoon phase of the Whole30 wears off - even though I'm hanging with it - I'm having to truly face some of my "triggers" this week.  Yesterday, in particular, was a hard day.  I have a chronically ill daughter and even though she's in college now and 3 hours away from me, there are days when she's feeling really terrible and overwhelmed by her workload and illness and she needs to lean heavy on me.  She works herself into a deep spiraling depression and I feel helpless to help her.  I'm too far away to lay eyes on her and reassure her with a hug and some encouragement.  That scenario would ordinarily have sent me to a bottle of wine and some cheese and crackers while I was preparing dinner.  And believe me, the thought crossed my mind.  Instead, I talked her through most of it and did a tough work out.  By the time I had finished working out, she had also picked herself up enough to move on with her evening.  I felt like that was a small triumph in my "recovery" during this Whole30.  I didn't grab a bottle or mindlessly snack.  I realize as I broke up with my scale for 30 days that the number it gave me every morning affected my mood that day WAY too much.  In fact, I have felt so freed by not hopping on there everyday that I intend to keep it to a once a week kind of thing from now on.

As far as my daughter goes, I stumbled on Whole30 because of my tireless search for help for her.  I'm hoping when she's home for Spring Break that she will see that the food is good and that I'm feeling great and that she will want to try it as well.  I believe at least 75% of her health issues would be cured by following this type of lifestyle.  She has more serious issues than I do so it may not be 100% what she needs but I'm hopeful.  She's too young to be this sick. 

So, KAE8886, thank you for admitting your weakness here - we all have them and that took guts.  Hang with us, we want and need you here with us!  Hope all of you have a great day! 

Wow. First I want to thank you guys for the encouraging words. 

I completely agree that weight as in the number, is not the major point here nor is it a primary goal for my whole 30. I don't really need to loose any. I wouldn't mind, but at my current weight which has been pretty stable for as long as I can remember, its not the number one priority. (But yes, it is still an insecurity.) I was however honestly curious about the changes in my body though, not so much as why its "not working." I never said that, but because it doesn't correspond with something I can explain. The only time I have lost weight without changing sizes was my conversion from elite athlete to office worker where I was loosing muscle gaining a touch of sedentary softness. I don't feel that is what is happening here and so I wonder what changes ARE happening in my body. 

For those of you who are also tempted by the scale here are things that are a priority for me that have already started to improve:

Joint Pain. I have terrible knees and have struggled with running and sometimes even day to day activities like walking and sitting at my desk. I'm 24 and too young for this nonsense. While not completely gone, I have noticed an increased ability for my joints to recover from the strain of exercise.

Digestion: I have had terrible digestive problems since I was young that have only gotten worse with age. Like gas so painful I cant stand up. Not all the time obviously, but often enough for it to strike at some pretty important events for me. While I have had some intestinal distress and bloating earlier on in the Whole30 this seems to be getting better with time.

Energy. I still sometimes crash in the afternoon and am figuring out why, but for the most part, my energy is a lot better and stable throughout the day. 

Mood. This is the biggest one for me and not something I would have even listed at the start of this. Multiple times I would stop and realize with bewilderment that I was just generally feeling happy. I wouldn't have said I was depressed, I wasn't, though I am powerfully affected by the seasons. I usually dont feel this happy well in to March or April. For most of winter I just feel kind of muted and gray without really realizing it.

@Janie, I like what you said about the demons and facing them now that the honeymoon phase has worn off. Good for you for fending off temptation and using what you are learning to help your daughter! 

About the demons: Last night I bought dried dates at the store. I had one when I got home before making dinner and another one after I had finished making dinner. Two, I thought was way more than enough and I put the box away in the cabinet. Next thing I know I am doing the dishes and have fished the dates out of the cabinet and had one more. Realizing what I was doing I put the box away again. I thought about the dates ALL NIGHT. Writing this now I don't know what I expected would happen. I cant pretend the dates had any other purpose than a treat. I could pretend I got them to jazz up the Moroccan chicken I plan to make but thats just not true. 

Anyway, having safely identified the dates as an issue I was out walking at lunch today. On my way back to the office I turned in the direction of my home to grab a handful of blueberries before heading back. I stopped midway and turned around. I had lunch at the office. I did not need the blueberries. I just wanted them. If it hadn't been for the date issue I may not have noticed, but clearly I am still responding automatically to my sugar cravings. 

I just found this thread even though I also started on Feb 3!  Hello!  I also just found the Timeline which I thought was very helpful.  3 of 6 in the house are on the plan, so the other 3 just have to deal with what's for dinner.  I already cooked every day, but I sure am cooking and prepping a lot more and trying new things.  I have learned a lot and hope to learn more.  Right now (day 10) I think I'm already dealing with boredom of the food - especially salad for lunch every day.  I will be searching for new recipes to try.  It's fun finding good ones - I love the chicken tostadas rancheros with the plantain tostadas.  And the ranchero sauce is great on eggs too!  I think that will be our Saturday meal each week.  I felt like I was eating out at a Mexican restaurant.  I am having cravings - milk, sugar, etc. but they aren't horrible and eventually pass. I have already started thinking about post 30 days and wonder what type of bread might be good?  I heard Ezekial didn't taste good, but I don't want a lot of weird ingredients and preservatives.  I could make my own - is there a good place for recipes?

Everyone is being so honest, it is a comfort to read things that I am feeling as well.  Let's keep encouraging each other and to remember we all make mistakes.  It is what we do after that makes the difference!  I used to be the "since I had pancakes for breakfast, lets have chicken fingers, pizza and ice cream for lunch/dinner" mentality.  I do not have a happy medium, it is all or nothing.  I'm hoping that I can change that and find the balance.  

Take care!

I'm so glad everyone else in hanging in there and sharing their experiences here. I did weigh myself and got chastised by an admin. :-) Oh well.

Some of the difficulties I'm having:

I think my cravings are the worst they've been yet. I really, really, really miss coffee. I know I don't have to give it up entirely, but if I can't sweeten it, I don't want it. Also, I was having some hypoglycemia problems in the mornings after eating breakfast and drinking coffee. I haven't had one problem with low blood sugar since starting Whole30. :-) I also really miss candy. I don't want to miss it.

I'm getting sick of the food. I've never been much of a cook before, so I think I've cooked more this past 16 days than in the past 2 years. I tend to cook a big batch of something then eat it for the next 3 or 4 meals. That's growing old.

That brings me to my next problem.....all this standing in the kitchen cooking is making my back hurt really, REALLY badly. I'm going to have to find a chiropractor. II've had to cut back on my cooking because I can't stand for long periods of time.

Positives:

I've definitely had more energy!! (Not tiger blood status yet) My sleep is much better! I think my allergies and asthma are better.

Archived