Too many carbs?

whatjosaid

Hi all, 

I'm 101 days into an on-going Whole 30. There are too many benefits to mention here, but I do have some concern over my energy/hunger levels. Most days I leave around four to five hours between meals but some days (like today) I am ready to eat my keyboard after two to three hours.

I CrossFit around five times a week and chuck in some Bikram when I have time (I do have one rest day). So I find myself eating sweet potatoes or butternut squash with every meal. Over the course of the past 101 days, my weight has gone up (muscle) and I can see my body changing and sculpting very slowly. I know this is a long game but I would like to speed up the results!

So am I overdoing the carbs? I have hypothyroidism and arthritis and I've been told that starchy veg help with these? Please can someone help with my confusion? 

Sometimes I feel like I am eating too much, but then I get SO hungry. Typical day below. 

Post work-out: half a large sweet potato and a boiled egg. 

Meal 1: one and a half pork chops, another half sweet potato, swiss chard, carrots, olive and olive oil. 

Meal 2: typically the same as meal 1 because I bulk cook food for work. 

Meal 3: steak, a large chunk of butternut squash, kale, courgettes, olives, olive oil 

Thank you!

• Moderators

Trying to speed up results often leads to halting results. Be patient. Your process is working. By doing more or less, you can stop your process from working. 

The one thing I see as an issue from your food report is that you are not eating a good post-workout meal. The problem is that a boiled egg is too much fat and too little protein after a workout. What you need is lean protein like chicken breast or egg whites. And more than comes with one egg. My favorite post-workout meal is a can of tuna packed in water. The carbs you are eating are okay, but I suspect you keep getting hungry because you need more protein. 

Honestly, that doesn't look like too much and certainly not too many carbs. You're eating 1 large sweet potato a day and don't mention any fruit. With your workout regimen that certainly would not be excessive. What exactly are your goals? 

To be honest my main goal was to reduce inflammation and therefore reduce the symptoms of my arthritis. Considering I've not touched painkillers for three months. I'd say something is working! But my other goal is to reduce body fat rather than lose weight.

As for fruit, I tend to avoid it as I don't want to tempt my palate with something too sweet!   

Trying to speed up results often leads to halting results. Be patient. Your process is working. By doing more or less, you can stop your process from working. 

The one thing I see as an issue from your food report is that you are not eating a good post-workout meal. The problem is that a boiled egg is too much fat and too little protein after a workout. What you need is lean protein like chicken breast or egg whites. And more than comes with one egg. My favorite post-workout meal is a can of tuna packed in water. The carbs you are eating are okay, but I suspect you keep getting hungry because you need more protein. 

Thank you Tom. Just to clarify, do you mean increase the protein in my post workout meal or in all other meals as well? 

Something that Dallas mentions in his Whole Athlete seminar (which I'd recommend highly) is eating AND training for your most primary goal.  See, many of us have multiple fitness goals (good performance in the WOD, fat loss, health), but sometimes the strategies for achieving those goals is contradictory. For example, the amount of carbs you need to support a 5x per week CrossFit habit and your thyroid may be counterproductive to fat loss. If you want fat loss, you may have to cut your metcons back or out, and opt for strength work which requires less carbohydrate.

I say all that to say that sometimes we can't have our cake and eat it too. We may need to make temporary (or permanent) sacrifices to achieve our goals.

• Moderators

Thank you Tom. Just to clarify, do you mean increase the protein in my post workout meal or in all other meals as well? 

Your post-workout meals. One and a half pork chops sounds about right to me for protein in an ordinary meal. 

Archived