Do I have iodine deficiency?

HI everyone, 

I'm on day 22 of whole 30 and feeling pretty great overall. One funny thing happened though, I got lots of stress in my neck last Thursday and a knot in the back just wouldn't go out, I felt like I wanted to just pull it out. That's when I noticed that the front of my neck was feeling a little swollen by my Adam's apple. And I started googling and learned about iodine in table salt. Since I started whole 30, I've only been having sea salt. I may have been getting a bit of iodine in items like hard boiled eggs. Then I re-read through it starts with food and it said to alternate table salt and sea salt. Then I googled more and it said sore/neck muscles is a symptom of not having enough iodine as well as worse breathing. I was like holy crap, every time I've ran and got to high intensity my asthma was much worse than normal. So yesterday I slammed 2 tsp in water of Morton's table salt and put it in my dinner too. Now today my thyoid/adam's apple is actually sore, like my throat is sore, the neck pain in the back feels better though and my head feels puffy. What should I do? Do you think a couple days of just a tsp of table salt will whip me into shape? Should I have this or Himalayan pink salt instead? I shouldn't need to go to the doctor right since it's only been 21 days on this and I've gotten a big through diet. I've been eating all organic veggies and meats from grass fed animal with no antibiotics/pesticides.

I guess your body will always tell you when you need something , and mine is in a major way. It must be confused by suddenly having the nutrient again and on overdrive. Oh my! Any advice would be helpful. I Hope I didn't screw my body up. 

Laura 

I am not an expert but you could be coming down with something. The flu is going around now. I would evaluate how I am feeling and if you feel bad then you may want to go to the doctor. I can't believe that 21 days without iodized salt could cause these problems but I am not a doctor. Also, did you check to see if your Mortons salt has iodine? I thought mine did but I bought one without it. Hope you feel better soon.

You can take iodine supplements. I don't use table salt because I have thyroid issues and I avoid iodine. Plus table salt is  ultra processed and has a lot of additives.

But honestly, it sounds like you have a sore throat from a cold. I've had that for a few days. Gargling with warm salt water (with or without iodine) will help.

Hi all, 

Thanks for replying.  It feels like right by my adam's apple it's enlarged, when I have a sore throat I don't usually see that, just feel it.  It's not huge or anything mind you and maybe I'm imagining it, but don't think I am.  Yes, my morton salt does have iodine in it. So now I've had some today and yesterday and hoping that it helps :) Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks!

Laura

I don't use table salt. It usually has dextrose in it and has some dangerous anti-caking agents, and has been stripped of all other beneficial minerals. The potassium iodide added to it is not bioavailable, as the rate of iodine deficiency has actually increased since it's been added to table salt. 

I use Himalayan pink salt, as it contains all 84 necessary trace minerals required for healthy functioning of the human body and has been shown to actually improve heart health and the conduction of electrical impulses through neurons. 

I also take a liquid iodine supplement. It is a liquid kelp decoction and the dose is 4 drops, which contains 150mcg of iodine, which is the amount the average person's thyroid requires to function each day. 

Here's some info on salt http://wellnessmama.com/3745/is-salt-healthy/

I would go and see the doctor.

You could always go half & half with your salts and see if it makes a difference, but if you're sick, it's not going to help.

I wouldn't take an iodine supplement unless a doctor recommends it (from seeing that you're deficient in a test), too much iodine can also cause problems, as well as not enough.

As well as thyroid, there are lymph nodes around there which can get swollen when you are sick.

I get those same symptoms with sinus problems, which are entirely unrelated to iodine :)

Thanks all, I'm feeling better already. Because I don't want to take a iodine supplement I got some "real salt" that has 10% of your daily need in a 1/4 tsp. I figure if I eat a tsp of that a day and some pink himalayan salt too I'll be good and can then alternate with sea salt sometimes. I can ditch the mortons with all it's crap in it. Finally, I ordered some seaweed snacks which melissa seems to approve of. they had dried seaweed, olive oil and sea salt. That has tons of iodine in it, so with eating that sometimes and these changes and a whole diet, I should be just fine! Yeah, knowledge is power, thanks for all the inisight!

Ok...PLEASE go to the doctor.  I have been on Whole30 off and on (mostly on since April 2013).  Since June 2013, I have had the same problem as you.  I was diagnosed incorrectly a ton of times (H. Pylori and reflux).  Had my thyroid checked and it was slightly high.  They did further tests and they told me all was normal.  Randomly, an urgent care doctor requested for me to do an ultrasound of my neck last week.  My thyroid is VERY inflamed!!!!  I am going to the endocrinologist today.  When I went to pick up my blood work (blood taken in Dec 2013) from my MD, they read my blood work wrong and my TSH was a 5.4.  Not within normal range. Green beans and strawberries are high in iodine.  Which is why I can feel my thyroid go down after eating these.  I have stopped using sea salt and only use iodized salt.  Make sure to replace your iodized salt often!  It loses all iodine within 4 weeks of opening.  You probably have had thyroid issues before the Whole30.  I know I did, but was boarderline and never took meds.  I don't want you to be in pain for as long as I have!  It's been a disaster!

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to update my situation.  My iodine test came back low iodine.  I tested at a 46.  Normal is above 75.  During my 24 hour test, I even ate a lot of foods with iodine in them, so my levels are probably lower than what my test showed.  Doctor is having me switch to a different multi-vitamin with 220 mcg of iodine (it's a prenatal vitamin).  He will retest me and then add additional supplements if needed.  I know this is due to whole30 since my thyroid pain goes away when I go off the whole30.  I am staying eating clean though since I see the benefits of it.  But, it did open up a whole set of issues for me.  I would suggest you get your iodine tested if you stay on this long term. 

I know this is due to whole30 since my thyroid pain goes away when I go off the whole30.  I am staying eating clean though since I see the benefits of it.  But, it did open up a whole set of issues for me.  I would suggest you get your iodine tested if you stay on this long term. 

So glad to hear that you got things figured out!  Hopefully you and your doctor can work together to find something that works for you.

I will point out, though, for other readers:  There is nothing inherently iodine-deficient about the Whole30 program.  Iodine is prevalent in fish, sea vegetables, eggs and even iodized salt (which we don't ask you to exclude, necessarily).  Like every other aspect of our food-lives, we have to take responsibility for making sure we consume enough nutrition to fuel our bodies.  

Archived