Day 16, feeling so tired - advice please!

Hi all, - would love some help to tweak my food intake please!!

I'm on day 16, and so far everything has been going pretty well - I'm enjoying the food immensely, and managing my emotions around food better than I thought I would. I'm also loving not eating mindlessly. I'm even coping with black coffee.  :)

BUT I'm still so tired every day. I had a brief burst of energy on day 13 and thought things were finally turning, but the last two days and today I feel like I'm underwater again. I can't run properly, I get about 40 minutes into a run and I'm dead on my feet (normally this is where I hit my stride).

I used to sleep 6-7 hours a night, I've upped it to 7-8 hours (we are at the end of summer here in Australia, and this feels like a lot). It feels like I am eating MASSES - more than I would normally eat at any meal, but I've lost  probably about 3.5kg (almost 8lb) - I'm not weighing, but I know my body pretty well - which is a lot for me.  

My meals over the past two days look like this:

Day 14

Pre-workout snack - handful of turkey plus a spoonful of tahini

Run 75 minutes.

Meal 1 - (straight after my run) - 1 sausage, 1 fried egg, mushrooms, tomato, rocket, black coffee.

Meal 2 - Salad of rocket, tomato and apple. Cabbage, shallots and capsicum fried in leftover stock/fat from the night before. Mashed 1/2 sweet potato.

Snack - Cashews and a nectarine

Meal 3 - Chorizo sausage fried with cabbage. Steamed carrots, sweet potato, green beans. 

Snack - frozen mixed berries

Day 15

No exercise

Meal 1 - Two boiled eggs, sweet potato mashed with coconut milk, rocket with chia seeds.

Meal 2 - Roast pumpkin, sweet potato and rocket salad with smoked salmon. Snow peas with tahini dip. A nectarine. 

Snack 3pm - still starving, bought "trail mix" of cashews, goji berries, dried blueberries and cacao nibs - about 3 handfuls of this.

Meal 3 - Sweet potato and coconut milk mash, steak, capsicum and onion stirfry. Nectarine.

Fiendish snack an hour later - handful of mixed berries mixed with 1 tsp coconut butter, cocoa, almond meal. I cooked this up in the microwave for a little and it was the most satisfying thing I had eaten all day. I finally felt sated as well as full.

Actually, looking back at this, it seems like the fat is what's missing. I've been assuming what I'm cooking in (normally olive oil) or the fat in my protein (like salmon) is enough, and have been adding carb-dense veggies like sweet potato when I'm feeling low in energy, but maybe I need to add more fat??

Any advice very welcome, as I am loving the other benefits of this thing - great skin, no mood swings, big drop in PMT symptoms, etc, but just need more energy!!

Thanks,

K

Yes I would increase the fat. Also you might need more protein. For meat you should be eating 1 - 2 palm size portions, for eggs it is how many you can hold in your hand (I bet you can hold at least 3). You might want to change your carb/starchy veg from sweet potato to squash, beets, or carrots or maybe only have it once a day. I think sweet potatoes awaken my sugar dragon.

Yes I would increase the fat. Also you might need more protein. For meat you should be eating 1 - 2 palm size portions, for eggs it is how many you can hold in your hand (I bet you can hold at least 3). You might want to change your carb/starchy veg from sweet potato to squash, beets, or carrots or maybe only have it once a day. I think sweet potatoes awaken my sugar dragon.

Ok yes, more protein also. Writing it down makes it a bit clearer. Thanks for that. I don't think I could do three eggs in a sitting, but could definitely have had more steak last night. 

I will try varying my starchy veg, happy with pumpkin, beetroot or carrots also. 

Thanks for your response! K

In addition, the recommended snack is a mini-meal containing a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

OK good point.

I realise I am not planning my snacks, just going hunting for what I can find. I may need to plan to have an emergency protein/fat, maybe have some cold meat plus cashews in the afternoon if I'm going to be eating late... 

Thanks.

MOAR FOOD :)

Your first day (above) was sorely lacking in protein (there was none at lunch!). Make sure each meal meets the suggestion of the template and make sure your post-run meal includes carbs and protein, but not fat.  THEN have meal 1 about an hour later.  I think that will do the trick!

Boil 14 eggs every Sunday...2 eggs a day in midafternoon and a handful of nuts or a big spoon of almond butter, and your snack is taken care of for the entire week.  If you eat other things for your snack a few times, then you have some boiled eggs for breakfasts as well.  

Thanks Robin and namtrag! I think I have not been eating enough as a hangover from "dieting" days - even though I don't want to lose weight, I have a little person on my shoulder saying "don't eat too much...!" I'll keep logging my food from now on, it helps to see it laid out like that.

This morning I had some turkey for my pre-workout and a meatball plus sweet potato post-workout. Then had meal 1 later - the most delicious sausage ever with a fried egg, more sweet potato and tomato & rocket salad with chia seeds and olive oil. I felt quite full, and very happy.

I am definitely feeling better today after managing yesterday's protein/fat better - I wouldn't say my sprints went brilliantly, but I felt like I could cope with them, as opposed to Sunday when I just felt dead in the water. Hoping the renewed attention to my meal composition will continue to make a difference to my energy levels from here on in.

Thanks for your responses!

K

I am on Day 10, and have had no "symptoms".  I have probably eaten too many cashews, but they don't seem to give me any issues.  But I know I eat plenty of fat.  At least 3 mornings so far, I have had 3-4 boiled eggs, and half an avocado, along with a vegetable, for breakfast.  My wife cooks everything we have fried, including our eggs, in plenty of ghee or coconut oil.  Overall I am probably averaging 5-6 eggs a day, every single day.  

I am convinced the fat intake I am getting has helped prevent some of the symptoms many people get in the first week or two...but who knows?

Archived