Approved protein powder?

jgolds2

So, I believe after little research I found a protein powder for all of those addicts on the go, that dont alwyas have those 1/2 extra meals with them for pre and post workout! This brand has a unflavored version, that is always unsweet! I have found others that would be approved except for the stevia addtion! This is great that you can get is unsweetened! NOTHING, not artificial anything!!!! Just beef protein and eggwhite protein and whole egg protein!!! If this isnt approved please let me know but from my readings this could be an alternative at times for when you dont have meals with you. I wouldnt rely on this after every workout (obviously because it wont satiate the same way and fill you up longer) but I thought this was interesting to post! Good luck! XOXO

http://paleoproproducts.com/paleo-protein-powder/

I think the plain Naked has no stevia....

Ah, I missed that, thank you.

The Plain Naked flavor would work, with the following proviso from the Whole30 Can I Have Guide: "Almost all protein powders (like whey, casein, soy, or pea) contain off-limit ingredients. Besides, anything you can get from protein powder (except maybe chemical extractives, added sweeteners and strange-sounding isolates) you can get from whole foods during your Whole30. In addition, formulated and processed meal-replacement shakes like Shakeology or Visalus are always off-limits. These products don't even come close to our definition of real, whole food—and they're packed with off-plan ingredients like pea protein and stevia.

However, protein powder from approved ingredients like crickets (in Chapul bars) or 100% egg white are allowed on the Whole30, provided they contain no sweeteners. As always, though, liquid food is still not encouraged. Got it?

Tip: We want you to spend a month learning to appreciate real food, how it tastes, the work it takes to prepare, and how it works in your body. You can have your shaker cup back in 30 days; for now, focus on starchy veggies and lean protein after a workout. Hard-boiled eggs, compliant deli meat, smoked salmon, or tuna are easy, portable protein sources to take with you to the gym."

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.0VhwXt2A.dpuf

Also, smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30 (also in the Can I Have Guide).  The idea is to chew your food vs. drink it, as chewing is more satiating.

I thought I read you can have 100% hemp protein. I know smoothies are discouraged, but sometimes so I don't get bored of eggs for breakfast, I make a "green smoothie" Mostly green leafy veggies and one apple to offset the veggie taste. I also add a tablespoon of almond butter or cocunut butter. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Hemp is approved. And the ingredients are 100% organic hemp.

organic-hemp-protein-15g-16-oz-by-nutiva

no. just no. "bored" is not a good enough reason to have a smoothie instead of real breakfast.

yes, I guess you would be technically compliant, but don't you want to get the most out of the program you possibly can?

I know I used to think my hemp/pea/rice/green powder smoothies were "healthy" until I did a whole30 and found out how much better I could feel.

Missmary, I completely and respectfully understand what you're saying, but in my case....I need to do whatever I can to stay on this lifestyle for 30 days, and if I have to eat eggs everyday, I will go nuts. That's just me. Plus having three little ones to get ready in the morning doesn't always give me enough time to make a breakfast that requires time to cook/prep. Plus...there are many wonderful green veggies out there that I can not stand in any other form than pureed. Swiss chard, kale, mustard greens. But I find I love them in a smoothie, and I just make sure to limit my fruit contributions. I'm not suggesting this for anybody, but it works for me and I'm still eating/slurping Whole30 compliant foods. Finally, I feel really really good after a green smoothie. :)

You don't have to eat eggs for breakfast - or ever, really (people on the autoimmune protocol don't eat them ever, for instance).  The idea of Whole30 is to consider three meals a day as Meal 1, Meal 2, and Meal 3.  So Meal 1 can be leftovers from dinner or something else entirely.  If you do a search on the forums you can find several threads dedicated to the question of what to eat for breakfast.

Also, don't rule out the idea that certain foods may become more palatable over time.  I'm living proof.  If you look back at my threads (not that I imagine I'm interesting enough for anyone to actually do this :lol:  ) you'll see that I had a whole hand-wringing thread about how much I hate sweet potatoes.  I posted it just over a year ago, I think.  Now I eat sweet potatoes daily, and I lurv 'em.  Surprised the heck outa me when I realized I actually liked the dratted things. :o   I have realized that this way of eating is a process, and things I didn't think I liked (in my case, usually because they weren't sweet enough) I now find extremely tasty.

That said, I think the larger rule here is to ask the question of whether this or that compliant but iffy food item is pushing something healthier off your plate.  When I first started Whole30ing, I'd look at that bowl of strawberries with macadamia nuts on the side and think, "Um, no, this is pushing the large bag of Kettle barbecue chips off my plate, duh."  And I'd eat up.  Over time the palate changes and what we think we need changes.  So then we can more easily do more of what our Whole30 creators consider optimal.  (Also, we lose our taste for the barbecue chips - moment of silence please)

Happy Whole30 eating to all. :wub:

I regularly have things other than eggs for breakfast as well.  I love thick creamy vegetable soups (butternut squash, broccoli, cauliflower are all delicious) and add in a protein and a bit of fat.  This morning I had chicken breasts smothered in homemade mango salsa for breakfast.  One of my favorite soups in a butternut/parsnip ginger soup...it is slightly sweet without any added sweeteners and makes for a warm, satisfying breakfast option with a side of whatever protein I have on hand.

Break the idea that at breakfast you have to eat "breakfast foods" and you'll find there are tons of options beside eggs and bacon or sausage and veggies.

Have fun trying new things for your first meal of the day! 

Archived