questions about meal planning beyond the template

danifive

We are on day 28, and things are going pretty well. I have learned a few things along the way. For example adding a starchy vegetable to breakfast has really helped me stay full until lunch. Some days I add coconut oil to my second cup of coffee after breakfast if I haven't had starch or if I just feel the need for more shortly after breakfast. 

Now I wonder if I am over doing it on the starchy carbs? Is there a good guideline for how many per day?

Also, a little confused about fats. I don't want to over do, so I generally stick to the template, but a lot of the time more fat seems to be the answer in the forum for hunger between meals. 

I also learned early on that I had to quit nuts and dried fruits. Just no brakes, and funny enough the only time I indulged it was when I hadn't been eating enough or soon enough. Seems obvious, but I had to look back to see the trend. 

I have also been limiting the fruit, but I am unsure about when it's good to have. I am trying to incorporate it into meals, but I am reading some conflicting ideas about when to have it. Some say not for breakfast and others say not at night. 

Does it seem to be best to have fruit at lunch?

We decided to do an extra week before any reintroductions, and I want to use paleofied treats and maybe a glass of wine, but I am over dairy! No interest and I am not really looking forward to anything else. My love of fluffy white bread is not pulling me, but i dream of carmel and sweet coffee, so approaching with caution. 

Thanks for any thoughts anybody has, 

dani

We are on day 28, and things are going pretty well. I have learned a few things along the way. For example adding a starchy vegetable to breakfast has really helped me stay full until lunch. Some days I add coconut oil to my second cup of coffee after breakfast if I haven't had starch or if I just feel the need for more shortly after breakfast. 

Now I wonder if I am over doing it on the starchy carbs? Is there a good guideline for how many per day?

Also, a little confused about fats. I don't want to over do, so I generally stick to the template, but a lot of the time more fat seems to be the answer in the forum for hunger between meals. 

I also learned early on that I had to quit nuts and dried fruits. Just no brakes, and funny enough the only time I indulged it was when I hadn't been eating enough or soon enough. Seems obvious, but I had to look back to see the trend. 

I have also been limiting the fruit, but I am unsure about when it's good to have. I am trying to incorporate it into meals, but I am reading some conflicting ideas about when to have it. Some say not for breakfast and others say not at night. 

Does it seem to be best to have fruit at lunch?

We decided to do an extra week before any reintroductions, and I want to use paleofied treats and maybe a glass of wine, but I am over dairy! No interest and I am not really looking forward to anything else. My love of fluffy white bread is not pulling me, but i dream of carmel and sweet coffee, so approaching with caution. 

Thanks for any thoughts anybody has, 

dani

I am not a moderator but I think you can have starchy carbs 1 or 2 times a day without any problem. Listen to your body and if you want more then eat more. Also the fat guideline in the meal template is the minimum you can have, if you want more fat then go for it. Again listen to your body, if eating 1/2 and avocado with sweet potato, veggies and eggs at breakfast keeps you full then do it. For fruit the goal is to eat fruit with your meal and not alone and only 1 - 2 servings a day. The fruit should not push the veggies off the plate. If meal 1 is 3 eggs, 1 cup of sweet potatoes, 1/2 and avocado and 1 cup of grapes then it does not fit the template. You should add 1 more cup of vegetables to this meal. Does that make sense? Also listen to your body, if eating fruit in the morning awakens your sugar dragon then eat fruit later. If not then eat fruit with your first meal. I hope that helps. Congratulations on making it to day 28!

Tina's post is pretty spot on! For starchy carbs and fruit your mileage may vary. This is a place where people's needs vary greatly and where you get to experiment on yourself. We usually recommend increase in starchy carbs if your energy levels seem very low (on adequate rest). If you are working out hard you need more starchy carbs as well. What Tina said about fruit is also true. I tend to eat fruit when I feel like it after a meal and that varies for me. Usually with my first or second meal. I try to avoid starchy carbs and fruits within an hour of a workout so I don't become dependent on those carbs for workout fuel.

• Moderators

The Whole30 teaches you to experiment on yourself. We give you basic guidelines in the meal template and the rules about what you cannot eat, but one of the big ideas is for you to continue experimenting with yourself. What happens when you eat fruit at breakfast? What happens when you eat fruit at supper? There are theories floating around that say you should only eat fruit at the end of the day or the beginning of the day, but those are theories and not important enough to define what you should do. Self-experimentation, however, can give you a solid answer. The same with starchy veggies and fats. Experiment. Pay attention to how things go for you. 

Archived