Little g's W30 attempt

littleg

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Day 18

Moving on from yesterday.  Major GI upset this morning.  Way too much undigested food.  I was so happy to have normal poop for a few days (who says that?!) and now I seem to be back to where I started.  The nut OD last night could have played a role though, so no conclusions yet.  

So normally, after a binge, I restrict calories the next day.  Usually a 24 hour fast.  However, not today.  I messed up last night.  I ate too many nuts and too much dried fruit.  Probably something lots of people have done doing W30.  I'm thrilled that a) I was able to stop myself after just a few minutes and B) that this was really triggered by hunger (which I know is a trigger for me).  So I need to tinker with my meals a little.  I don't really know how to go about it though.  In the past it was all about calories.  But I have no idea how many calories I'm eating (and so far I haven't ballooned!  yeah!).  ISWF says to add fat but I've also seen posts about tinkering with starch.  So I'm not sure where to start.  On the one hand - those raisins tasted good last night, but raisins are tasty to a person who doesn't eat sugar :)  On the other hand if someone had given me a bowl of fatty ground pork and coconut milk last night *that* would have been perfect - I just really wanted to be full of calorically dense food.  So I'm thinking maybe I need more protein and fat? 

General plan for today (another sucky morning which I am determined to turn around in the afternoon, unlike yesterday):

7:30ish - 5 oz turkey sausage, 1/4 mel's squash,  1 cup of berries with a 1/2 of coconut milk for the fat

12ish - 1/3 beef stew with snap peas and few spoonfuls of leftover garlic spinach - forgot to pack anything else - full enough after this though

5 PM WOD - roast beef and sweet potato - I remember why I don't like the 5 WOD... I don't like dinner at 7:30!

7:30 - Munched on carrots while I heated up dinner.  1/3 Thai meatballs in 1/2 c coconut milk, 1/3 of the zucchini ginger soup, left over mango salsa with extra red pepper sliced in to make up for the complete mush it turned into and left over diced melon with 3 almost rotten strawberries.  Then an apple.  Pink Lady were on sale this week :)  A little fruit heavy but the salsa and the melon needed to be used up.  And Pink Lady apples are delicious :)  

Felt less hungry today but I was pretty bloated and uncomfortable all day - maybe a nut hangover though.  

I'm looking at this is thinking this is a HUGE amount of food.  Trying to resist the temptation to go type it all into cronometer...  The coconut milk is making me nervous I think.  I had a whole cup today.  I feel like that is too much for the full fat delicious kind I buy...  Ok.  I gave in and typed in breakfast.  650ish calories.  I know this shouldn't mean anything but, yikes.  Thats a lot. I'm not sure what to do with this information.  Probably I should just ignore it.  

Day 20 

Forum was down yesterday!  All was compliant but I forget the details.  We had fish tacos for dinner and mango salsa and cuali rice for dinner - I remember that :) And an apple.  

Today:

Had a fasting exam at the hospital so no breakfast until 9:30.  Or coffee.  Had 8 oz of kombucha and 2 mugs of coffee while cooking breakfast.  Felt much better.  

9:30 - 3 scrambled eggs, sauteed broccoli, blueberries and a few strawberries with 1/3 c coconut milk

12:30 - zucchini ginger soup with 1/3 Thai meatball recipe and left over mango salsa

3 PM WOD with roast beef and small sweet potato after (WOW 14.5 - that was hard), 16 oz kombucha on the way home

7 PM - slice of meatloaf, sauteed broccoli, 1/4 Mel's squash and big salad with some veggies, sliced almonds, 2 clementines and a drizzle of homemade vinaigrette, apple for dessert.  Tomorrow no dessert.  Don't want this to turn into "needing" dessert again.  Though I suppose an apple isn't the end of the world.  

The ketchup from the recipe wasn't my favorite.  I've made this before and think next time I'll go back to it.  

So all day today my stomach has been off.  I can not stop burping.  Literally - it started around breakfast with the old feeling I used to get of stomach bloating (vs intestinal bloating) and just got worse and worse all day.  I had stomach cramps during the WOD (I don't think that has ever happened, but it was only 2 hours after lunch).  I tried ginger kombucha - didn't help.  Since coming home and cooking dinner I'm burping once every 5 minutes or so.  I don't have any idea what is going on.  I sure hope its gone tomorrow.  

Day 21

When I got into bed last night I was still burping.  I tried to sleep sitting up a bit but didn't sleep well.  Got my period around midnight (28 days to the hour, as usual, so weird).  Took 1 Aleve and got the heating pad.  Cramps were much less than normal (none really).  Usually I take 2 Aleve so that was nice. I got very little sleep last night but the burping stopped.  Until this morning, when it started again before eating anything.  I had 1/2 Nalgene of water with apple cider vinegar and about 5 minutes later burped and literally all of the water came right back up.  I was caught totally off guard.  There was no abdominal muscle use like throwing up.  I am.so.tired.of.this.  Oh, an no bowel action this AM.  Worked today.  On my feet most of the day, no exercise though besides the 5 pull ups and 30 push ups hubs and I are doing each day for the month of April.  

8:30 - no appetite before this at all and kind of afraid to eat at work.  ~6oz turkey sausage, 1/4 Mel's squash and a grapefruit

1:30 - hungry.  Haricot verts and leftover meatloaf.  Blueberries and a few strawberries with 1/4 c coconut milk

6:00 - ginger Kombucha.  

7:00 - sort of hungry.  Big salad with 1/2 red pepper, carrot, mushrooms, 2 clementines, drizzle of vinaigrette and sprinkle of almonds. 3 slices flank steak, roasted broccoli and sauteed onions and peppers.  Big scoop of guacamole and some BBQ sauce for dipping.  Finished the strawberries (8 or so).

Still burping.  Its not quite as uncomfortable as yesterday.   Yesterday they kept getting "stuck" which was uncomfortable.  So far today I actually burp so it isn't as uncomfortable.  But burping all day long sucks.  I checked for HCl at the co-op and the only brand had some other stuff in it so I'm going to look online.  Maybe that will help.  

Day 22

Never really thought I'd make it this far... :)

7:30 - creamed spinach using 1/3 c coconut milk, 2 drumsticks with no skin and a grapefruit with some strawberries.  Really liked the spinach.  I think I'll start alternating this with Mel's squash for breakfast.

11 AM - 3.3 mile run, jumped into the middle of the 11 AM WOD and worked up to a heavy clean.  Got 110 twice, failed on 116 - my PR attempt for a power clean.  Then did DT @85 lbs.  Craptastic time 9:38 - 1 min off my PR.  Sort of surprised and bummed about that slow time.  Oh well.

2 slices roast beef and a very small sweet potato

1:30 - after grocery shopping (where I picked up some HCl + pepsin).  Left over flank steak over mango salsa and the last 1/3 of the zucchini ginger soup (HCl)

6:30 - Usual big salad - 1 red pepper, 1 carrot, mushrooms, 2 clementines over lettuce with a drizzle of vinaigrette and a sprinkle of almonds.  Homemade beef bolognese sauce over a mix of butternut squash, sweet potato and zucchini noodles.  This was the very first meal on the W30 where I really missed my old food... parmesan cheese.  Bolognese sauce just isn't quite the same without it.  I like the way it dries out the sauce a bit.  I've seen people sub almond meal for it but that seems dumb - I don't need to dump a bunch omega 6 on my healthy food just for texture.  The sauce was still very good (I'll definitely make it again) and hubs really liked the veggie noodles - so lose-win-win :)  Apple after and a few strawberries.  (HCl)

I took the HCl with lunch and dinner today.  I felt a little warmth (maybe?) after lunch, not so much after dinner.  Burping has gone down and I think I was slightly less bloated this afternoon than normal.  We will see how this evening unfolds.

Just read through your log. It's awesome how far you've come...just over a week left! I think it's really great that you are trying not to stress as much as you used to about calories, portion sizes, and restricting after you've felt like you ate too much (I've tried that in the past, and it always backfired). That sounds like good progress.

I just wanted to point out a few things I noticed with your food log, and I hope you don't mind. Nuts/nut butters...I don't see large portions of those mentioned, but many people say those lead to digestive issues. Have you considered cutting them out for a week or two to see if there are any changes?

Also...this isn't necessarily for your W30, but maybe just something to think about going forward...it seems like you include fruit with most meals. You also mention a dessert habit. Eating fruit, dried fruit, coconut flakes, etc...that's not going to do you any favors there. I used to "need" dessert after lunch and dinner on a regular basis. Then after I switched to this way of eating I "needed" fruit or coconut flakes. I had to finally stop buying them altogether, and it really helped cut back on carb cravings and reduce my appetite in general (not dramatically...but maybe just enough that I could make better decisions and feel a bit more in control). If you don't feel like you are having cravings, then it's a non-issue. I'm not trying to say fruit is bad, but it can definitely make giving up a dessert habit harder. 

JJB - thanks for the feedback :)  I've really made an effort to not eat many nuts besides coconut milk on this.  I often hear about coconut milk being viewed as "different" than other nuts in terms of gut healthy which is why I made that choice.  I've had maybe 1/4 of a cup of almond butter on my W30 (in one night... :/).  The almonds I use for salads and stuff is maybe a tbsp (sliced) at most.  I know that if one has a sensitivity that is enough to cause problems but for my first W30 I wanted to not do any "extreme" measures.  Just in case it was the sugar or the dairy or the soy (which was creeping in via my chocolate).  I'm not sure what I'll do about nuts going forward - I'll have to look into it more.  In terms of the dessert of fruit - what good timing - you probably wrote that while I was eating my apple... and then 3/4 of a cantaloupe last night.  Its only happened twice now where I've had that "I NEED DESSERT" feeling - once it turned into that "mini binge" and last night I ate that cantaloupe (which for a binge eater is troubling but for a normal person would probably be classified as "wow, this cantaloupe is tasty... oops, I ate too much".  So, tonight I'll go back to no fruit outside of my meal (e.g. mango salsa).  For some reason I never have the dessert issue after lunch.  Just dinner.  Thanks for reading - that makes two of us! :

Day 23

6:00 - 2 mile run with the dog - felt so much better muscle wise after taking my magnesium last night.  Cramping and tightness were gone! - 1 slice RB and slice off baked sweet potato (like a spoonful)

8:00 - grapefruit, 2 drumsticks with no skin, creamed spinach with 1/4 c coconut milk (I LOOOOVE this dish) - why have I been paleo for 3 years without making it...?!

12:30 - left over flank steak over mango salsa (few pieces of frozen mango, big piece of cucumber, 1 red pepper, few cherry tomatoes and 1/2 roma, cilantro and lime juice with 1/2 avocado)

3 PM - literally went to crossfit and left.  All I wanted to to do was go to sleep.  I'm not sure if it was my morning (to school at 8 AM to study, 1 hour very hard exam, 3 hours of lecture) or dehydration (I was very thirsty all day yesterday).  Either way, I bailed and came home.  And did dishes and cooked.  Shocking.  Did get a kombucha on my way home.  Better than a $3.00 bud light, right?

6:30 - munched on carrots while making: 5 oz bison burger (our grill isn't under a pile of snow anymore!  yeah!), roasted fennel, butternut squash, carrots and onions, sauteed broccoli and rutabaga fries.  This was a first for rutabaga fries.  I put coconut oil, salt, pepper and smoked paprika on them.  Pretty tasty.  I'd make them again.  I also made another batch of paleo ketchup and Mel's squash.  So much for my nap :)  Definitely had the too-hungry munchies yesterday.  Probably had close to a lb of carrots before dinner.  After dinner I had 2 small clementines, 1 apple (normal sized - not the size of my head like so many apples in the stores these days... and then too much of the cantaloupe I had cut up while food prepping... Ugh.  Wanted to take a dive into the almonds and raisins.  So small success there.  Didn't do that.  But I still need to work on compromising with the "addictive voice" (Rational Recovery if there ever is another binge eater reading this) by offering "healthy" fruit instead of a binge.  

Woke up today (day 24 OMG!) with crazy GI.  Pooping water.  Grumble.  I did take some magnesium last night so that might be part of it - time to dial back on the amount.  Definitely feeling bloated and bigger than I want to.  I've done some weight logging in the past to see the trends with my cycle (to help with the crazies that come every.single.month. when I truly believe I won't lose the random 4 lbs that I gain over night) and I seem to puff up after I get my period.  So, I'm hoping by the end of the week I de-puff a little.  

Day 24

Plan 7:30ish - 5 oz turkey sausage, 1/4 Mel's squash, creamed spinach and a grapefruit <-- added some starch carbs today to M1

M2 - 2 grilled TJ chicken tenderloins, big spoonful of BBQ sauce, 2 handfuls snap peas, small sweet potato and the grapefruit I didn't eat for breakfast

3 PM - 30 minute dog walk

4 PM - WOD with 2 slices roast beef and small piece of sweet potato

M3 - leftover 5 oz bison burger, left over roasted veggies (fennel, carrots, onions, butternut), sauteed zucchini.  Had a spoonful of homemade ketchup and BBQ sauce on the side.  Salad with some strawberries and a sprinkle of almonds with some vinaigrette too.  Few carrots while I cooked.  

Bloated most of the day.  It may have been the rutabaga - hubs (who never has problems) also had some GI upset.  I took the dogs for a walk around 3 and barely made it home in time.  Quite a bit of undigested food.  But I felt better after :)  

Day 25

Early day at the hospital.  Didn't have time to eat until 9:30.

M1 - 5 oz turkey sausage, 1/4 Mel's squash, creamed spinach

M2 - 1:15 - 2 sardine cakes (4 tins got me 7 cakes, so just about 1 tin's worth), snap peas, carrots and a few tomatoes with 2 c cantaloupe and a 1 oz bag of almonds

I've been taking the HCl + pepsin (1) with each meal.  After the afternoon expulsion yesterday through right now (just finished lunch) I've felt much better.  EDIT: about an hour later I didn't feel so good... Maybe it is the nuts?  And eggs?  Darn it.

3 PM - 40 minute dog walk

4 PM WOD - that was hard.  Barbell complex - high hang squat clean, hang sq cl, sq cl+push press, high hang squat clean, hang sq cl, sq cl+push jerk, high hang squat clean, hang sq cl, sq cl+split jerk.  Then you could put the bar down.  I went 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90.  Then 150 wall balls and 35 pushups.  With my 5 strict pull ups at the end.  Nice to have a good hard day.  

2 slices RB and SP after.

6:30ish - leftover butternut squash noodles with meat sauce, salad with 2 clementines and a handful of grapes and some chopped veggies.   As usual, I ate a bunch of carrots while I heated stuff up and did dishes.  Then a little too much of some delicious carrot/coconut butter concoction my husband came up with copied from a blog.  Forgot to take the HCl with dinner tonight... 

Totally a broken record here... bad GI morning.  

My husband tried to do the "Clean" diet a year or two ago and is currently toying with the idea of finishing his W30 (which is pretty close to the pre-cleanse phase) and then giving the cleanse a shot.  He has been re-reading the book and told me about this little gem this morning "trying to fix your gut bacteria while drinking coffee is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a tictac".  He may have been paraphrasing :) For his final week of the W30 he was going to try to go coffee free.  I was never as big of a coffee drinker as him (1-2 mugs in the morning - probably 12-16 oz total) for day and so I never felt like I needed to get rid of it.  I've heard that it can be bad for GI stuff but always kind of ignored it - because even though I don't "abuse" coffee I love waking up to the smell and enjoying my mug as I do the crossword (or for the last 25 days, log here).  Again, I'm going to finish my W30 as written and then in month 2 tinker with eliminations.  Maybe.  I'm not sure I have it in my to do a real AIP diet... I'll probably start with coffee since that would be the easiest.  I really don't even want to think about no FODMAPs, no nightshades, no nuts... ugh.  

Day 26

No appetite this morning.  Still felt stuffed from last night.  Its amazing that once one stops binge eating that even an extra 500 calories of dessert really causes some spill-over fullness the next day.  Its like my satiety signals are working... Crazy.

Ran 2 easy miles with the dog at 7:30.  

Didn't eat until 11ish because I had a 9 AM simulation at the hospital and couldn't face food before it.  2 sardine cakes, few handfuls of snap peas and some grape tomatoes.

12:30 - 5 oz turkey sausage, 1/4 Mel's squash and creamed spinach and a grapefruit

6:30 - meat sauce over zucchini and sweet potato noodles.  Salad with 2 clementines, peppers and carrots with a drizzle of vinaigrette and then 1/2 cubed avocado.  I missed the almonds a little but the avocado was good too.  Had an apple after dinner. I.need.to.stop.this.  That was totally a "I want to keep eating" apple - not an "I'm hungry" apple.  Trying to keep this in perspective though - it was an apple :)  

Day 27

Stupidly got on the scale and tried on the wretched skinny jeans this AM.  And cried.  

Didn't have an appetite this morning.  Ate M1 at 11.

Had coffee and 2 mugs of tea throughout the morning.

M1 - 1/2 prep of creamed spinach (1 lb bag of spinach, 1/2 c coconut milk and some chopped onion), 2 small drumsticks with no skin, 1 organic chicken sausage, 1/4 Mel's squash

Ended up at the 3 WOD so no lunch today.  Sorta crappy WOD - 30 snatches for time.  I went light (55) and did it in 2:15.  I don't even think I got sweaty.  Then there was a 10 min EMOM with 6 hand stand push ups on odds and 40 double unders on evens (I did 20 except for the last round because I'm scared to get inverted on tired arms - which 40 DUs gives me).  2 slices Applegate RB and small sweet potato. 

Munched on carrots while cooking and ate the whole bag (1 lb).  Dinner was: big salad with ~10 small strawberries, diced red pepper, a few of the carrots that didn't go straight into my mouth and some cherry tomatoes, 1/3 lb bison burger and the rest of the creamed spinach from this morning and some roasted broccoli.  

Drinking tea right now.  No fruit for dessert.  Hoping for fewer mental breakdowns tomorrow :)

Thanks!  Maybe today was a fluctuation - who knows.  I'll get some measurements on day 31 for my next round and next time I'm going to stay.off.the.scale.  

So my jeans which were lose were definitely tight today.  I think some weird fluid thing is going on.  At least I hope so.  Trying to just let it go until Tuesday when I will do an official weigh in and measurement for my next 30 days.  But when your pants feel tight all day it doesn't make it any easier to let it go.  

Our morning got a little messed up waiting for my coffee to work its magic before crossfit.  We were hoping to go to the 8 class but went to the 9:30 instead.  I had 1 skinless drumstick before going.  2 slices of RB and small SP after.  WOD went much better than I expected 33-15-33-15-33-15 Front squats, burpees, DL, burpees, KB swings @45, burpees.  Finished in 10:02.  I went 20/13 on the front squats at 105 lbs - couldn't believe it.  I didn't want to have to clean that more than twice though :)  Ran to TJ after.  M1 was around 11:30.

M1 Last skinless drumstick, 5 oz turkey sausage, 8 oz creamed spinach, grapefruit and some kombucha.

M2 3:30 - 3 sardine cakes, snap peas, few carrots and big handful cherry tomatoes and some kombucha.

2.5 mile walk to the library

Now its 5:40 and I'm not hungry for dinner.  

On the GI front... I'm still taking just the HCl - but I do forget sometimes.  However, it has been 3 days since I've had any nuts.  And I've switched from diarrhea to constipation.  However, my bloating is definitely way down.  I started thinking about this summer when I tried the whole Ray Peat thing - he is very anti Omega 6 fatty acids, so I ditched the nuts then too.  And was constipated.  I totally thought it was cutting the vegetables which caused the D to stop and switch to C... but now I'm thinking it was actually the nuts.  I'll pay more attention to this going forward.  I really don't want to give up coconut so I'm going to stick to no eggs and no non-coconut nuts for a while and see what happens.  

We just got some beef and pork from the cows and pigs from my in-laws farm.  Excited to have some quality pork around - it will be a nice change from so much beef.  On the agenda food prep wise for tomorrow:

- bake sweet potatoes

- quadruple batch of creamed spinach

- make beef stew

- make nomnom meatballs

- make sardine cakes

All of that with the ginger zucchini soup I made today and the pork butt (for carnitas, yeah!) we've got defrosting should keep us until Thursday or so.  

Ok, another 3 hours of cooking in the books :)  

Beef stew, sardine cakes, pan cooked fennel with carrots and onions, Asian meatballs, baked sweet potatoes and hubs made his breakfast bake thing.  Phew.  Off to crossfit in a few.  Never ate breakfast this morning.  Same as yesterday.  I don't like working out after eating and we keep getting sidetracked and missing the early crossfit class we mean to go to.  

Day 29

Pre WOD at 10:15 - 2 slices RB, spoonful of coconut milk

Ran 3 miles, WOD: work up to a heavy set of 3 hang cleans - got to 115.  For fun I tried to PR for the hang and got 122.5 - a 2.5 lb PR.  My goal since starting crossfit has been to clean 125 lbs.  I'm getting close.  Metcon was 5-10-15-10-5 OHS, hand stand pushups, power cleans.  I went light at 65 lbs and tried to get through as many of the HSPU as I could.  I think I went 5-5-4-4-3 and did regular push ups for the rest.  ~14 minutes.  

12:10 Post WOD - 2 slices RB, 1/2 small and very overcooked sweet potato.

M1 - 1:30 - 2 TJ tenderloins grilled, on a salad with the usual chopped veggies and 2 clementines and some vinaigrette.  Sides were creamed spinach and some left over sauteed fennel, onions, carrots and some of the broccoli hubs made.  

M2 - snack really - 1 spare rib (from the pig my in-laws just got) cooked in just S&P since my MIL is so nice, 1 big clementine and a bowl of chopped salad with a few pieces of avocado chunks and no dressing (nothing compliant there).  Kombucha on the way home.

M3 - fish tacos, mango salsa w/ 1/2 avocado, cauli rice.  Munched on carrots while we cooked.

Day 30.

Crazy.  

Wanted to go to the 8 crossfit.  Didn't make it.  Went to the 9.  So... late M1 again.

9 AM WOD - work up to heavy squat clean, front squat, jerk.  Got to 105.  Didn't feel bad.  But stopped because 105 is my PR and I'm scared to put more weight overhead.  WOD was 5 RFT 10 toes to bar, 8 thrusters, 12 barbell lunges and then a 200 m run.  Went RX with 65 lbs in 18 minutes.  Toes to bar felt really good today.  Overall I felt better than usual and have essentially PRed the last few days.  Which is nice.  1 slice RB and 1/2 sweet potato with a few of my "recovery jello shots" - 1 cup tart cherry juice, 1 cup water and 2 tbsp gelatin.  My legs were literally cramping up on me as I drove home today (without stretching since I was running late) so I *should* be sore tomorrow.  But maybe my jello shots are magical and I won't be :)

11 AM - M1 - 5 oz turkey sausage, creamed spinach, grapefruit

1:30 - M2 - 1/3 beef stew recipe, snap peas, 1/2 avocado

6:00 - M3 - starving.  Supper munchy cooking - ate 1/2 mango, and a few carrots.  Dinner was a small piece of steak, a small piece of tilapia and a whole bunch of sauteed veggies and a salad with a lot of fruit on it.  I am totally having a sweet craving right now and am drinking my magnesium and hoping to ride it out.  How ironic would it be to binge on day 30?  :)

Not looking forward to tomorrow morning.  This whole no-nuts thing has apparently but the brakes on my GI system... I feel fine (and can't imagine where all of this fiber is going since it isn't coming out) but I have a gut feeling (ha!) that when I don't go that does something to my fluid balance because I seem to always be a little bigger when the plumbing slows up.  In addition, my legs were brutalized today during the WOD so I know I'm going to be retaining some water from that tomorrow.  So, my clothes won't fit and the scale will be up :(  And I'll be sad all day.  Maybe I won't weigh in tomorrow.  I'll see.  

I'll be back tomorrow for day 1 again.

I've heard mixed things about gelatin post WOD.  I'm not taking much (I'll probably get 4 days worth out of 2 tbsp total) and I'm still eating my roast beef.  I have had that tub of gelatin since this summer when the paleo world seemed to all jump on that bandwagon at once :)  I figured recently I should try to use it up.  I added some to my beef stew too.  I don't know if this is W30 magic, gelatin or tart cherry juice (because I am a TERRIBLE scientist) - but I'm significantly less sore than I should be after my workouts the last few days!

Day 31. 

I made it.

I took a bath last night and did not give into the worst binge urges I've had since starting this (which really were not that bad - really just very munchy - probably from crappy meal timing the last few days more than anything else).

I got on the scale.  The number was lower (142.0) than when I started (~2 lbs) but also totally within the range of where I always hover (141-145).  So, who knows.  BUT my clothes definitely fit better.  I'm kicking myself for not taking measurements.  

I will write up more later.  

Archived