Wyoming 30-something goes Whole30

sepurdy

I'm a 34 yr old mother of two kids - 4.5 yo girl and an almost 2 yo boy. Married to my high school sweetheart for almost 12 years now. I've been doing Crossfit for about 7 months and absolutely love it.

Why I'm here:

- I eat relatively healthy. Cut out soda about 6 months ago, no fast food, healthy snacks. My weakness are chocolate, red wine and carbs (pita chips, bread, baked goods). I know that my hard work in the gym is being negated by the cheat food I'm eating.

- I want to eat more veggies and protein. I struggle to do this and instead fill up on unnecessary carbs.

- My C-Reactive Protein levels have been high for years. Doctor usually waves them off as no big deal, but seriously? It's a sign of inflammation around the heart, an indicator of possible heart disease - which is what killed my father and grandfather, and mine are double to triple the recommended max. That scares me!

- My scale hasn't really changed much in the 7 months I've been doing Crossfit, although I know I've gained a lot of muscle. I'd like to see some other numbers change!

This morning, day 1, I started the day with a weigh in, body comp and blood draw. Then, in 30 days, I'll go back and do it all again. I'd love to see the weight change but I'd be happy if any of the numbers move a positive direction. I'm looking forward to more energy, sleeping better, and seeing stronger results in the gym.

Concerns/fears:

- I'm doing this alone. Everyone in my house will still be eating their normal stuff. That's going to be challenging.

- Time. Prep will be key for me and I'm going to need to make myself - and this challenge - a priority.

- Cravings. Again, since all of the cheat foods will still be around me, handling cravings will be a challenge.

All in all, I'm super excited to be starting this and am looking forward to the changes!

Thanks for your support!

Good for you!  Welcome and I wish you a good whole 30!

Time and prep is key.  Weekend cookups are a big help. 

I am making the assumption that you will be making a meal for yourself + one for your family.  Try to make it easy for yourself - For instance if you are making spaghetti with meatballs - you can have the sauce + meatballs over Spaghetti squash.  So basically look for a common ingriedient - another example - BBQ Chicken thighs that you can serve 2 different sides with.

I don't have any kidlets, but my BF wasn't on board at all.  I never disallowed him anything - bread was still being bought, cereal, milk, cheese, pasta.  I made this my choice.  Now the longer I have been eating this way - the cleaner our refridgerator has become.  There is 1 box of cereal that hasn't been touched in months.  Bread is an infrequent visitor, and cheese is a rarity.  But none of these things even appeal to me anymore.  I just don't want them. 

Thanks for the ideas Carlaccini! I'm definitely going to try to only make one meal with different options.

Day 1 is in the bag!

~ Breakfast: 3 eggs cooked in ghee, broccoli, guac ...and black coffee...gulp. :blink: I'll get used to it, right?! ;)

~ Lunch: Asian slaw salad with tuna, peppers, slivered almonds and olive oil, tsp of coconut butter (Hello new stuff!)

~ Snack: Hard boiled egg, cashew butter (MMmmm!)

~Dinner: Chicken, sweet potato, avocado, olive oil, mandarin orange

All day I've felt very content and no cravings!

I'm on Spring Break and the kids went to daycare - what a treat! I spent the day grocery shopping, doing food prep and lots of Whole 30 blog/message board reading. It was nice to be able to spend the day working on my plan and a great way to start off the challenge.

Today I prepped:

- baked sweet potatoes, roasted chicken, boiled up hardboiled eggs, chopped veggies and made a double batch of Primal Palate's meatballs. (Really yummy! They were a little wet from the onions so next time I'll squeeze out onion water before mixing, add a little almond flour, and try not to forget Coconut Alminos...doh!)

My kitchen is stocked and I'm excited for Day 2!

hi there! It looks like you are off to a great start.

One tweak, though, is to eliminate the snack. If you feel like you need one, we take it as a sign that you are not eating enough at meals...it is best for hormone regulation to eat three larger meals vs. three smaller meals + snacks. Of course, on cross-fit days that is another story. :)  Let us know if you need any suggestions on pre- and post- WO food.

Thanks for the input MissMary. I'll work on bigger meals to eliminate the snack.

Day 2:  Today was a Crossfit day - I go at 5:30am.

~PreWO: 6-8 almonds

~Breakfast: Sweet potato, scrambled eggs (w/coconut oil), avocado, strawberries

~Lunch: Big ole spinach salad with paleo meatballs, tomatoes, pecans, 1 hard boiled egg, olive oil as dressing

~Snack: We had a really late dinner so I had 1/2 apple & 1 Tbsp coconut butter and some cashews to keep me from nomming on the kids' Goldfish crackers.

~Dinner: Green curry with chicken, peppers, onions & brocolli (cooked in coconut oil)

Struggles:

Friday nights are going to be tough. Friday night is the beginning of the Jewish sabbath, which in our house means challah bread and wine along with the meal.  I was hard, though, sitting across the table from my husband as he enjoyed his piece of challah and drank wine. Whomp whomp. That's ok, it's only 30 days, right?

Another day crossed off! I'm feeling great - no headaches or signs of withdraw, lots of energy and steady moods. I'm also getting used to - and almost enjoying - my black coffee in the morning.

Day 3

~Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, 1/2 sweet potato, 1/2 avocado, black coffee

~Lunch: I sure do love a big 'ole salad! Spinach, meatballs, 1 hb egg, 1/2 apple, a few strawberries, slivered almonds, olive oil for dressing

~Dinner: grilled chicken with a quick paleo balsamic marinade, zucchini sauteed in coconut oil, steamed brocolli drizzled with olive oil

No snack needed today!

This evening, since it's a mellow Saturday night,  I'm craving a little dessert or glass of wine but I think I'm just going to drink a glass of water and catch up on a few Hulu episodes.

Day 4:

I'll post my food later tonight but I wanted to share a major win for me today. My family and I attending a child's birthday party this afternoon. In preparation, knowing there'd be pizza and cake, I came up with a few strategies. #1: Have a snack before. On the way over, I had a few paleo breakfast sausage meatballs and a packet of pecan butter. I was satiated and content. #2: Stay away from the food! Duh. As in, don't hang out in the kitchen or near the snack table. #3: Drink water. I always had a water bottle in my hand, which gave me something to do during those awkward moments of small talk. #4: Let the husband take over kid duties. He served the kids pizza and cake and managed their messy faces. At one point, my son got some frosting on my finger and I had to consiously talk myself through it. "Don't lick your finger. It isn't worth it. All those chemicals and sugar will give you a huge headache. And it's not even homemade frosting. It's not worth it. You've come so far! You feel so much better! Don't. Do. it."

And, it all worked! We were there about two hours and I didn't touch any of the junk food. I had assumed they'd at least have veggies or fruit there, but nope. Chips, cake, pizza, beer, juice. It was a mine field of off limits food but I did it!

The most eye opening part of the whole thing - no one noticed that I didn't eat cake. I can remember so many times I ate food in the past I didn't actually want or like just because I thought if I didn't, I'd be hurting someone's feelings. Nope. No one noticed and no one cared. That was really freeing for me to realize.

So, almost through with Day 4 and I'm feeling really good about the whole process. Yay me!

Another day down and feeling great!

Day #4:

~ Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, 2 breakfast sausages (made with beef), 1/2 sweet potato, 1/2 avocado, a few strawberries.

~ Lunch: Broken up into two mini meals before and after the birthday party - 4 breakfast sausages, 1 Tb of pecan butter, 1 Tb almond butter. Didn't have a quick veg available.

~ Dinner: Made dinner for the whole family and then just tweaked it to fit my needs. Worked really well! Chicken, peppers and onion fajitas with a paleo fajita seasoning. Family had it with beans and tortilla, I had mine on top of a 1/2 sweet potato with avocado and black olives. So good and so full!

Tomorow's going to be my first day trying to juggle this and working. I spent a few hours prepping food and I feel ready to go!

This evening, since it's a mellow Saturday night,  I'm craving a little dessert or glass of wine but I think I'm just going to drink a glass of water and catch up on a few Hulu episodes.

Treat yo'self to sipping something from a wine glass, which I think makes any beverage taste more indulgent, adult and special. I replaced my Friday night glass of wine with a wine glass full of kombucha or a mocktail made with crushed fruit and sparkling water during Whole 30.

Treat yo'self to sipping something from a wine glass, which I think makes any beverage taste more indulgent, adult and special. I replaced my Friday night glass of wine with a wine glass full of kombucha or a mocktail made with crushed fruit and sparkling water during Whole 30.

Ditto! My special drink is sparkling water with the juice from half of a grapefruit. And I always put it in a special glass!

Oooh! I'm going to have to try that mocktail idea! Yum!

Day 5:

~Breakfast: 2 hb eggs, a few meatballs, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 banana

~Lunch: Spinach salad with chicken, apple, tomato, pecan, olive oil

~Dinner: "Pasta" night! Spaghetti squash, compliant sauce, brocolli, meatballs, cashews on the side

Today was my first day back to work and I definitely noticed that my blood sugar stayed stable throughout the day. Usually I get home from teaching and I'm starving, have a headache and want to shove anything salty/sweet/processed in my face. Not so today. I felt strong and focused. I'm also noticing my pants fitting better, my stomach seems flatter and I've been sleeping like a log! Yahoo!

Day 6: Boom Shaka Laka!

~PreWO: almonds

~Breakfast: 1/2 sweet potato, 3 hb eggs, 1/2 avocado

~Lunch: Spinach salad with apple, meatballs, nuts, olive oil

~Dinner: Chocolate chili with sweet potato, avocado and olives

Feeling awesome! The chili was a huge hit. My husband's a big Mexican mole fan and he said the chili tasted a lot like mole. I made beans on the side for the kids and hubby to have in the chili. (They don't like sweet potato.) We usually cook with ground turkey but I used grass fed ground beef for this since I'm trying to add more variety. I think the beef gave it a much richer, deeper flavor than the turkey would have. All in all, a great day!

Day 7

~PreWO: Almonds

~Breakfast: 3 hb eggs, sweet potato, avocado

~Lunch: Spinach salad, chicken, apple, pecan, olive oil

~Dinner: "Brinner" with the kids (breakfast for dinner) - 3 scrambled eggs, sweet potato, meatballs, avocado

Feeling good although, after today, a bit burned out on eggs! Ha! I didn't feel like eating any of my leftovers for dinner so I just had Brinner with the kids, resulting in basically a repeat of breakfast. I'm going to make a point of eating some of my tasty leftovers tomorrow and then this weekend cook up a meaty frittata or something to crack (egg pun - ha!) the egg monotony. Feeling great although super tired tonight. I've had less than 6 hrs sleep the last two nights plus two days of CF back to back. Off to bed now in the hopes of logging about 7.5hrs.

Day 8:

~preWO: almonds

~breakfast: sweet potato, 2 hb eggs, 2 leftover sausage patties, 1/2 avocado

~lunch: leftover chicken curry with peppers, onions and coconut milk. Served over sweet potato. 1 Tbsp almond butter

~dinner: spinach salad with chicken, apple, strawberries, pecans and olive oil

Digestive tract seems to be rearranging itself. I'll spare you the details. I have had good energy and I'm noticing physical changes. My stomach is flatter. My backfat (sexy!) has noticably decreased. My cheekbones seem more prominent. My fridge is quickly becoming bare! Glad tomorrow's Friday because it's time to restock.

Day 9:

~ Breakfast: 3 hb eggs, sweet potato, avocado

~Lunch: Spinach salad with meatballs, apple, pecans and olive oil

~ PM snack: Dinner was late tonight so I had 1/2 apple with coconut butter

~Dinner: Grilled steak, spaghetti squash, green beans, olive oil drizzle

Friday nights are when the red wine calls the loudest! Arg! Tonight I tried the "mocktail" suggested to me in an early post. I mixed some juice with sparkling water in a wine glass. After only drinking water and coffee for the last 9 days, it was certainly a taste bud sensation!

I've been feeling pretty tired today but I think it's a combination of factors - stressful week of work with lots of hours, back to back CF days, not getting enough sleep along with the Whole30. Planning to get a full night's sleep tonight.

Day 8:

~breakfast: sweet potato, 2 hb eggs, 2 leftover sausage patties, 1/2 avocado

~lunch: leftover chicken curry with peppers, onions and coconut milk. Served over sweet potato. 1 Tbsp almond butter

~dinner: spinach salad with chicken, apple, strawberries, pecans and olive oil

Digestive tract seems to be rearranging itself. I'll spare you the details. I have had good energy and I'm noticing physical changes. My stomach is flatter. My backfat (sexy!) has noticably decreased. My cheekbones seem more prominent. My fridge is quickly becoming bare! Glad tomorrow's Friday because it's time to restock.

Great job! It is always so nice to see physical changes that help keep you motivated!

I noticed that your pre workout snack was almonds. I believe the pre workout should be protein and fat. Also are you eating a post workout meal? It should be protein and carbs (no fat or fruit). I don't see one listed above so I am not sure. 

Nuts can irritate your gut so you may want to avoid them for a few days and see if you feel better. Congratulations on your progress!

Thanks for the comment Tina!

I go to a 5:30am Crossfit class in the morning and a small snack is about all I can handle before all that intensity. I usually try to make sure I have a pretty protein and carb heavy meal the night before so there's plenty of energy stored up. When I get home at 6:30-7am, I just have breakfast so that's my postWO meal.

I think my gut irritation is stemming from adding beef back into my diet. Prior to the Whole30, I ate beef maybe 3 times a year. Partly because of the cattle industry, partly because of the expense for quality, humanely raised beef but mostly because I just don't love the taste and prefer lighter meats like ground turkey, fish or chicken in most situations. So, I've added about 2-3 meals with beef this week and that seems to be when my gut says, "Whoa!" It's better now though.

Day 10:

~Breakfast: veggie fritatta with 3 eggs, brocolli, zucchini, tomatoes, onions and garlic in coconut oil, sweet potato and guac on the side

~PostWO: 2 baby apples (forgot my nut butter! Arg)

~Lunch: Spinach salad with fridge leftovers - some steak, some hb egg, some sweet potato, olive oil dressing

~Dinner: My first Whole 30 dinner at a restaurant! Garden salad w/balsamic vinegrette on the side, grilled salmon with squeeze of lemon, sauteed veggies. Skipped the bread and the wine - very tough!

Had a good day - did a big fundraising WOD at our CF gym and afterwards there was sandwiches, cookies and chips. I skipped all that and just grabbed some cute little apples. Had planned to bring a post-WOD nut butter packet but left it in the car. Still, did well and didn't even crave the cookies or chips. I ate breakfast late enough that I wasn't super hungry after the WOD so I just came home and ate lunch.

Day 11!

More than 1/3 down and almost to the 1/2 way point!

We hosted a brunch so breakfast was small:

~Breakfast: meatballs and olives as I prepped brunch

Brunch was breakfast burritos and mimosas...for them anyway!

~Brunch: scrambled egg, sweet potato, guac, olives, tomatoes, peppers, onions, pineapple, sparkling water with a splash of OJ

Because brunch was earlier than I usually eat, I did have a snack today.

~Snack: 1/2 apple with almond butter

And an awesome dinner:

~Dinner: Grilled chicken, baked sweet potato, green beans, 1/2 avocado

Another positive social experience! Nobody noticed that I didn't have a tortilla...or chips...or rice and beans. No one said anything about me skipping the alcohol...either they didn't notice or now they suspect I'm pregnant! Ha!

I've really noticed my mindset around food changing. I've taken a lot of food "off the pedestal" - cheese, chocolate, creamer, yogurt, red wine - the "I can't live withouts!" and now just see my food as high quality fuel for the athlete I am. That's pretty awesome.

Sunday prep: turkey meatballs, hb eggs, grilled chicken, roasted sweet potato. Fridge is stocked! Ready for another week!

Day 12:

Evidently the grumpies have set in, according to my husband. I've been less patient than usual and have snapped at him a bit. In the gym this morning I felt sluggish and weak. Is it the Whole 30 or just a funk? When does that tiger blood kick in, man?

~breakfast: 3 hb eggs, 1/2 sweet potato, 1/2 avocado

~lunch: spinach salad with steak, apple, pecans, olive oil

~snack: macadamia nuts

~dinner: stir fry with ground beef, brocolli slaw, spaghetti squash in coconut oil with a sprinkle of cashews

Hi!

I just read your whole log, great job!!!  I'm impressed and find your journey inspiring.  I'm struggling with Days #8 and #9 (today), but I'm holding strong.

I too didn't each much meat before tackling the whole30 challenge, its been an adjustment for sure.  I've always loved seafood so I'm trying to add more.

Keep it up!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Newbie!

Day 13:

~Breakfast: meatballs, sweet potato, avocado

~Lunch: spinach salad with chicken, apple, pecan, sweet potato and olive oil

~Dinner: salmon, broccoli, green beans, olive oil drizzle, macadamia nuts

Today was a bit better than yesterday. I'm feeling less grumpy but still not the same energy I had during the first week. Just kind of ho-hum, medicore kind of mood. When's that tiger blood gonna kick in?! :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Newbie!

Day 13:

~Breakfast: meatballs, sweet potato, avocado

~Lunch: spinach salad with chicken, apple, pecan, sweet potato and olive oil

~Dinner: salmon, broccoli, green beans, olive oil drizzle, macadamia nuts

Today was a bit better than yesterday. I'm feeling less grumpy but still not the same energy I had during the first week. Just kind of ho-hum, medicore kind of mood. When's that tiger blood gonna kick in?! :)

According to the timeline http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/. tiger blood doesn't hit until day 16 or so. I never experienced tiger blood during my whole30. Remember this is a whole30 so keep going. Good Luck!

Archived