The timing of meals

cdnj

I am a big grazer so that's been a huge change this first week of my Whole 30. I have meal 1 around 8, meal 2 around 12-1 and then it gets bad. I used to eat a ton in those afternoon hours. Endless snacking. Although I'm doing well with this, I am starving by 5. I really don't want to eat dinner that early as I don't go to bed until 10 or so and I was also an evening "picker". I prefer to eat dinner at 7 but I just can't go from 1 to 7 without eating. I understand that I should be having protein and fat if I must have a snack but the only protein I can eat on this is fish and eggs & I really don't want to eat yet another portion. Okay, I finally got to my question...is a salad with some avocado/olives added acceptable? 

I think the best thing for you to do would be to have 4 meals so that you're satiated and not prone to snacking on random things during those hungry hours. A salad would be acceptable but it should be made as per the meal template--so avocado/olives, lettuce, and PROTEIN should be included. Just incorporate another meal at perhaps 3:30 so that it is halfway between lunch and dinner. Over time maybe you can drop the 4th meal altogether. 

• Moderators

Why not try having a meal at 5 and see how you feel? Play with making it substantial enough to keep you satisfied until bed.

I've ended up with meals at 7, noon, and five, give or take half an hour to an hour, and I actually enjoy going to bed on an empty stomach. That might not work for you, but there's no harm in giving it a shot and if you're hungry, have a mini meal.

cdnj, I had to start with 4 meals as well...I was just *starving* trying to go 6 hours in between meals. The 4 meals were spaced 4 hours apart: 8AM - noon - 4PM - 8PM. I have since been able to go down to 3 meals/day eaten at 6AM - noon - 6PM. Consider eating 4 meals a day....

I would suggest trying to eat more at each meal to try to stay satisfied longer. On days I workout I eat 4 meals but on my rest days I have been able to get to the point where I can eat three meals, no snacking, not hungry between meals. Make sure you are following the meal template and eating enough. I lived by this when I was doing my Whole30 http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

You might want to post some of your meals for feedback.

Why not try having a meal at 5 and see how you feel? Play with making it substantial enough to keep you satisfied until bed.

I've ended up with meals at 7, noon, and five, give or take half an hour to an hour, and I actually enjoy going to bed on an empty stomach. That might not work for you, but there's no harm in giving it a shot and if you're hungry, have a mini meal.

Thanks for the advice. This Whole 30 is all about big changes and realizing that I can do what I thought was impossible. If I can do black coffee and like it, than I can do three meals!

I would suggest trying to eat more at each meal to try to stay satisfied longer. On days I workout I eat 4 meals but on my rest days I have been able to get to the point where I can eat three meals, no snacking, not hungry between meals. Make sure you are following the meal template and eating enough. I lived by this when I was doing my Whole30 http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

You might want to post some of your meals for feedback.

Thanks for the advice. Here are a few days of my log. It's not going to be exciting! My only protein source is fish and eggs...I'm a recovering vegetarian, lol! 

3/10/14

Few nuts b/f wo
1 egg after wo

8 am Frittata with kale and asparagus, ¼ avocado, salsa

12:30 Salad, ¼ avocado, ½ can tuna few nuts (hungry bf lunch) 

Coffee
Tea

5:00 Salad

Fish, veggies, coconut oil
Tea 
End of day was hardest. Good energy. Lots of water.

3/11/14

8 am Frittata, ¼ avocado, salsa

12:00 Salad, ¼ avocado, few nuts. forgot  eggs (was at work)

Tea

7:30 salad Fish, veggies, coconut oil
Tea 
Feeling good. Not as hungry as I thought I would be.

3/12/14

Few nuts b/f wo
1 egg after wo

12:30 Salad, ¼ avocado, ½ can tuna few nuts and strawberries

7:30 salad Fish, veggies, coconut oil 3 strawberries, nuts

Thanks for taking a look! 

Thanks for the advice. Here are a few days of my log. It's not going to be exciting! My only protein source is fish and eggs...I'm a recovering vegetarian, lol! 

3/10/14

Few nuts b/f wo
1 egg after wo

8 am Frittata with kale and asparagus, ¼ avocado, salsa

12:30 Salad, ¼ avocado, ½ can tuna few nuts (hungry bf lunch) 

Coffee
Tea

5:00 Salad

Fish, veggies, coconut oil
Tea 
End of day was hardest. Good energy. Lots of water.

3/11/14

12:00 Salad, ¼ avocado, few nuts. forgot  eggs (was at work)

Tea

7:30 salad Fish, veggies, coconut oil
Tea 
Feeling good. Not as hungry as I thought I would be.

3/12/14

Few nuts b/f wo
1 egg after wo

12:30 Salad, ¼ avocado, ½ can tuna few nuts and strawberries

7:30 salad Fish, veggies, coconut oil 3 strawberries, nuts

Thanks for taking a look! 

OK, in short, EAT MORE.  :)

Do you have a copy of the recommended meal template?  Look to that for guidance on portion sizes. 

Here are some opportunities I see for you:

- instead of 1/4 avocado, eat at least 1/2 the avocado

- instead of 1/2 a can of tuna, eat the whole can

- have some variety in your fish/seafood.  Robb Wolff's food matrix is great for brainstorming ideas.  

- preWO is protein and fat, postWO is protein and carb, no fat.  So, add an egg pre WO, and don't have a whole egg postWO, Have an egg white (no yolk) or lean seafood as your postWO protein. 

- it's not clear whether you're getting any carb-dense veggies. Those can help with satiety. Look to get at least one in per day. They include sweet potato, winter squash, beets, carrots, jicama, plantains, rutabaga and parsnips.

- be sure you're staying sufficiently hydrated. Aim for drinking water, in the amount of at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

Yes! Eat :) the only other suggestion I have is that you eat some higher calorie/fatty fish like salmon if you aren't already. We found that a lot of the lower fat white fish we ate in the past was too low calorie and fat to be satisfying at the portion sizes we felt like eating. Or of you do eat lower fat fish make sure you add your fats to you meals - We really like grilled tuna steaks with a big salad and an olive oil based dressing these days.

OK, in short, EAT MORE.  :)

Do you have a copy of the recommended meal template?  Look to that for guidance on portion sizes. 

Here are some opportunities I see for you:

- instead of 1/4 avocado, eat at least 1/2 the avocado

- instead of 1/2 a can of tuna, eat the whole can

- have some variety in your fish/seafood.  Robb Wolff's food matrix is great for brainstorming ideas.  

- preWO is protein and fat, postWO is protein and carb, no fat.  So, add an egg pre WO, and don't have a whole egg postWO, Have an egg white (no yolk) or lean seafood as your postWO protein. 

- it's not clear whether you're getting any carb-dense veggies. Those can help with satiety. Look to get at least one in per day. They include sweet potato, winter squash, beets, carrots, jicama, plantains, rutabaga and parsnips.

- be sure you're staying sufficiently hydrated. Aim for drinking water, in the amount of at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

Yeah, I still have that "diet" mentality somewhere deep down! I'll definitely up the avocado and fish and switch up the pre/post wo. I do have some carrots each day. I'll switch it up every few days with the other veg suggestions. Thank you so much for this. You are so sweet to take the time to analyze this for me!   

• Moderators

I second the "eat more" advice.

In my first Whole30 I actually had trouble finishing my meal sometimes. It seemed like a lot of food (and I am a big eater) but I stuck to the template. And it got me to the next meal.

I also made sure to get enough fat every meal.

If you workout, definitely get some sweet potatoes, beets, parsnips, butternut squash, rutabaga (my new favorite veggie!) in your salads. They all taste amazing tossed with some coconut oil and roasted.

Keep up the good work!

Archived