Whole30 DIY Jerky

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going in search of flank steak tomorrow. My dehydrator arrived today and I'm looking forward to my first batch of beef jerky this weekend!

Good luck! I started making it a few weeks ago and cannot stop making it, seriously...especially when I find the right cuts of steak on sale :)

I have top round London broil thinly sliced marinating in the fridge. Tomorrow I'll load it all in my new dehydrator and make my first soy/sugar free jerky. Squee!

The marinade is a mixture of coco aminos, ACV, Dijon mustard, smoked chipotle powder, paprika and garlic salt.

The machine I bought was a real bargain! It turned over 3 pounds of meat into chewy delicious morsels of jerky in just 4 hours. I'll go heavier on the cayenne and smoked chipotle and lighter on the salt next time. The London broil cut of beef was perfecto.

This is the machine I bought...

Nesco American Harvest FD-37 400 Watt Food Dehydrator

This really is an ATL thread isn't it? I'm in East Cobb. :)

I have the Nesco Square dehydrator. A little more surface area to it. I love it. Dried apples and banana chips for the kids. Beef jerky and zucchini chips for me.

For jerky, I use London Broil (or flank steak), have it sliced by the butcher, and just coat it with coconut aminos (no marinating), then sprinkle with cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and a little cayenne or chili powder. It's subtle flavor but yummy. I cook it about 4 hours too. It's too moist to keep unrefrigerated for more than a day or two, but I like the chewy texture and just keep it in the fridge. I also cut it into small bite size pieces with kitchen shears when it is done so I can eat it more slowly. I buy the meat when it is on sale, and have the butcher cut and wrap it in one lb packages. That way I can make small batches of jerky whenever I want.

I bought my dehydrator for $59.94 in April, but now it is $70.99. Pricing on Amazon makes no sense sometimes, but I think it is worth every penny at either price. Here is the link...

http://www.amazon.co...uare+dehydrator

FYI - I bought an awesome apple corer/slicer/peeler. Makes it so easy to dry apples for the kids and I just used it to peel and slice sweet potatoes that I roasted for the family tonight. Also makes eating a plain apple a little bit more fun when it's peeled and spiral sliced like a slinky! :) There are other brands, but I have this one...

http://www.amazon.co...ds=apple+peeler

Hello, hello neighbors! I'm in Roswell/Alpharetta.I have not made jerky or even had any since Slim Jim's in elementary school.... is it *really* worth getting back into it? :)

No comparison between a Slim Jim and real beef jerky. Night and Day. Make some jerky. Such a great portable protein.

Great to see another Metro Atlanta person. Maybe I notice because I live here, but there seem to be more ATL people participating in the Whole9 forum than any other city. Would be cool for us all to meet up one day. Maybe we could have our own little Whole30 Holiday party later this year or meet for a hike since that would accommodate most fitness levels... :)

Archived