March 1st-ers post W30

EmayPA

I've figured out that I'm not a diary-keeping kind of person (my W30 journal languished pretty quickly), but like posting in group threads, so here's a place for us March 1 2014 W30-ers :wub:  (and anyone else!) to talk about our re-intros, on and off roading and all manner of things...

Well, let's see if this takes :) It's ok if it doesn't...

I'm SO suprised at how meh and unimpressed I was with my dairy indulgences yesterday.  I didn't feel awful (but did feel a little heavy/stuffed).  Hrmph. 

Next up in a couple of days is rice:  I've got a handful of arborio and basmati from the bulk bins and a box of brown rice pasta (can't seem to find white rice pasta, but I think it exists?).  I'm thinking risotto for breakfast, curry over basmati for lunch, and then a small handful of spaghetti (or whatever it was that bought) for dinner. 

I'm stuffed just thinking about it.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ended up starting my Whole 30 on March 2nd and finished it up yesterday. I'm starting off with dairy, just butter today. I will probably have wine later this week and try a hard cheese after that. I'll probably try white rice thereafter and beyond that there's not much that I really miss.

• Moderators

Thanks for getting us going, Emay. I'm still W30ing--no reintroductions for me. This ain't my first rodeo, and I don't feel the need to do the whole process. So, I'll probably just have a cocktail and maybe a restaurant meal this weekend then back to the template.

Good luck to the rest of you with reintroductions!

Hi!! Great idea for a thread on here I'll post on here in future. Good luck!

BTW I have just had a coffee made with a very generous amount of coconut milk and it was much nicer than the dairy milk coffee I had yesterday :)

I'm going to have to have another dairy day after I test some other things (rice, soy, potatoes, beans) since I realized I forgot to test cream cheese and ricotta (and ice cream?).  It's all good - there's no big rush! 

The soy test is strictly for knowledge (in case there are mystery restaurant ingredients) since I don't intend to ever eat soy intentionally .

Lots to be aware of...

Woohoo! The gang's back together!

Turns out dairy is a no-fly for me. The things that come out of me afterward are not fit for public conversation.  :wacko:

And today I feel bloated, gassy, and heavy. Ick.

I'm going to do more of dairy tho so I can pinpoint what exactly it is. Is butter ok but not cheese? What kind of cheese? Can I do goat or sheep cheese? I tried butter and cheese at the same meal, so I don't know if the butter or the cheese made me icky. I had more of the cheese, but I realize now that it was a mistake to do both.  

I'm more doing this in solidarity with my very best friend who's always had a milk protein allergy. I've always just eaten things and sorta made fun of her (she's my bestie in the whole world, it's ok), but now she's all, "What about this, or this?!" Haha, so I'm gonna be a scientist, like I am by trade (geologist), and really test these things out. Depending on what I can handle, she can tell me if its the milk protein or the lactose. I'm guessing it's the lactose. Her milk protein allergy is much more severe. 

For now, I'm glad to be back to Whole30. It's really easy to throw a meal together really quick when I'm not trying to separate food groups. 

I think I'm going to do gluten next. I was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance, but never knew whether it was the dairy or the gluten that got me. Now I know dairy does it, but I still should know about gluten. Plus, Megan misses her pancakes like WHOA.

Day 3 of reintro and no reactions to Monday's dairy (yogurt, milk and hard cheese). I shall probably add a little butter to tonight's supper instead of ghee to see how I get on with that. I am not expecting any problems so fingers crossed. Them something a bit more adventurous over the weekend - lentils!! I only eat these about 4 times a year, if that, but I do want to be able to make my favourite sausage and lentil casserole when I fancy it. 

Megalinity, sorry you reacted but I agree you probably need to test each one separately. I did AIP and reintroductions are very specific on that - for dairy, apparently the order of reintroductio. (Least problematic) : ghee (allowed on W30 but not AIP) then raw butter, then grass fed raw cream, then regular butter, homemade kefir, and only after that cheeses (type by type, although I suspect I'll do 1 goat cheese and 1 sheep and call it good for all, and then do the cow milk ones raw milk types then pasteurized etc).

I had butter, glorious grass fed raw milk butter yesterday. It was not as delicious an inclusion as I remembered, which itself was interesting. In the first 24 hours so far no reaction. And while I doubt I'll eat as much as before, I do think it will make cooking a lot easier (my husband hates coconut oil taste).

I reintroduced rice with supper last night and am doing ok so far. Not interested in pasta as I haven't eaten that in 3½years but rice occasionally is nice. My kedgeree was very tasty and so simple and quick to make. 

• Moderators

My kedgeree was very tasty and so simple and quick to make. 

I spell it "kitcharee," but that's something I eat weekly when I'm not W30ing. Glad it still agrees with you!

Made up some basmati rice this morning and had a few spoonfuls with my eggs for breakfast.  Boring, but ok otherwise so far... feeling a little sleepy, but I had disturbed sleep last night, so that could be it...

Will have some chicken cacciatore over a little more of the rice at lunchtime.  Planning a smidge of rice pasta at dinner (like, a 1/2 cup), and that will be that.

I'm so glad to read of all of your adventures - sorry about your dairy woes, megalinity! - good for you for trying to parse it all out for yourself!

Kedgeree/kitcharee - I'm intrigued!  (off to google...)

Have a lovely day, everyone!

I did gluten today. I had a couple pancakes with breakfast (which also included 2 eggs). Two lemon cookies (freshly baked from my local co-op! yum) with chicken, spinach, and veggie salad for lunch, and plan on having a little pasta with dinner. 

I'm not really reacting well to this either. I got super sleepy after I ate, and stomach cramps about an hour or two after that. I'll skip the pasta with dinner, actually. 

I'm not really surprised by my reaction, but I had hoped that it was limited to dairy. I LOVE pancakes and really missed them a lot. I'll try paleo pancakes with coconut flour, and other variations, after Whole30 completion.

I never thought I was going to wind up having such a picky body, and I'm really not a fan of it. I hate being the picky one at meals. It's not my nature to be difficult. Also, I just really love all kinds of food. *sigh* Oh well. These things are good to know. And there are so many delicious things that don't include dairy or gluten!

Next I'll try gluten-free grains. I don't eat a whole lot of them, but I'm sure I'll want to eat them sometime. I'll do basmati rice, quinoa, and  corn for sure. I love me some corn. (Please oh please let corn be ok. It's my favorite 'vegetable'.)

I've made coconut pancakes a few times, they are really eggy tasting though. If I was a big pancake fan (I'm not) I'd search for plantain or other recipes of pancakes, unless the idea of a very eggy pancake is appealing to you.

No signs of trouble from the butter so looks like I'm good to try my next item, black pepper.

And now that I've started reintroductions, my mind keeps wandering to all the things I've been avoiding and my slow careful approach is feeling like a big constraint. My latest fantasies are for coffee and red bell pepper, which I had t even scheduled in for April, but I'm considering dropping to a 4 day rotation instead of 5...

No reaction to the rice so that seems ok. I will make my sausage and lentil stew for tomorrow's supper and I am praying that will be ok. 

My eyes are finally starting to feel normal again after almost a week on antihistamine. They still water a lot in the sun and wind but I can live with that. At least I no longer look like an extra from a zombie apocalypse movie. 

@SarahinParis - are you on AIP?

I've made coconut pancakes a few times, they are really eggy tasting though. If I was a big pancake fan (I'm not) I'd search for plantain or other recipes of pancakes, unless the idea of a very eggy pancake is appealing to you.

Thanks! I'm probably going to try all the recipes I can find to find the one I like best. If I'm gonna have Sex With My Pants On, you better believe I'm gonna do it properly  :P  :lol:

I'm glad butter didn't hurt you. Butter is so good and it's in everything. 

I'm really gassy today after my gluten adventures yesterday. And as of yesterday, I was still dealing with the digestive troubles caused by dairy, and probably the gluten had a part in it as well. I haven't been that uncomfortable since I took Vicodin for my shattered ankle two years ago… Yeesh. And I had really strange and vivid dreams last night. 

It's time for me to be more adventurous in my cooking endeavors. I'm starting to get really sick of the vegetables prepared the same way over and over. I bought Well Fed, I'm just a really lazy cook. 

Starting sentences with "I" over and over again hurts me. I should really be more creative when it comes to writing these… My science writing background (I'm published a few times in scientific areas) should be helping me but it's not. Laziness again, I suppose. 

Rice was ok - so far, anyway.  I wound up not having any with dinner, though.  2 meals was enough!

Thinking of doing a couple of potatoes next, instead of soy.  I really don't want to eat soy, and it's not worth wasting my day on it.  I'll try corn after that.  I won't be adding it in my own cooking, but it might show up in meals at other folks' homes, and I'd like to be prepared.

Then back to a few different dairy products.  I want to see how ricotta and cream cheese work out...  I found a lovely grass-fed/organic ricotta that's scrumptious, and hope it's ok (or mostly ok).  :)

hugs all around...

:) 

I do wish Emmy would pop in and let us know how she's doing.  Even if she didn't finish and is feeling bad or something - she got us together as a group in the first place, and we love her, and would give her tons of support!  :wub:

I miss Emmy too. I sent her a message on here but got no reply :(

I am just about to eat my favourite cold weather meal of sausage and lentil casserole. Really simple, quick to make but it hits the spot. Let's hope it doesn't hit any weak spots this time around!! Hubby got up at 4am and has only just got home at 7pm, wet through tot he skin and cold after a 27 mile walk with a load of kids. The guy is either barking mad or deserves to become a saint. I am never sure which. 

I have done a load of walking this week - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. And met people from 10 countries. I do love my tour guiding. 

As the last three paragraphs all started with 'I' this one doesn't :P  Joy of joys my eyes are totally back to normal today. They did not water once during my tour and it was so good not to be continually dabbing them with a soggy tissue as I walked in front of my group. 

Onward buddies, Onward!! 

There y'all are!   I have missed you (though I was a latecomer).  Sharyn, I am so glad to hear about your eyes.  I've been worrying about you.  LadyM, I've been like you - not doing reintroductions yet.  EMayPa and others - I'm glad to hear about the rice.  I have been thinking that I am going want that occasionally - mostly because I developed a not-so-healthy adoration of paella when in Spain a few years ago and even bought the big pans and burner and got them through Customs, and I want to use them!  I know that lower-carb is best for me, but I also think that the "shock the system with a carb meal occasionally" theory seems to work very well for me, sometimes busting a plateau.  Megalinity - thank goodness for your stage name - enabled me to find the group!  

I think the things I am most wanting to do are some green drinks and occasional protein shakes, which the Founders of Our Feast seem take a pretty dim view of, but most other practitioners seems to endorse to one degree or another.  And I'm thinking the shakes will probably require a bit of stevia.  I don't know how "reintroducing" those would work - anybody have any thoughts about that?  I'm also thinking, as I mentioned earlier, that I might have some egg white or nightshade issues, as my digestion never really settled down, though everything else got a lot better. That might also be related to missing gallbladder, so I've ordered Chris Kresser/Rob Wolfe "paleologix" supplements to see if that helps.

Whole Foods is my new best friends.  I used to think they were exorbitantly expensive - and they pretty much are, but when you stop buying all processed food -and, regrettably, wine - it's withing reach.  Though it's mostly ground meat I'm getting these days. . . Also, I find I'm throwing out less untouched produce and meat, because I'm in the kitchen pretty much every day.  No pizza-zapping or instamatic pasta sauce, so it's harder for nice veggies and meats to hide in dark corners of the fridge.   Step by step .. . 

So glad to see you all!

Archived