2nd whole 30 and still tired in the afternoon.

So this is my second whole 30 and I have had amazing results in every area except ENERGY! I'm killing my WODS at crossfit and feel very strong but I have yet to experience this feeling of being energized. To the contrary, I'm still tired every day after lunch. I get at least 8 hrs of sleep and still need to nap in the afternoon. Could it be an age thing? Wish I could find something that will pick me up in the afternoon. Coffee doesn't even work for me. I'm taking Iron (12 mg) and Vit B hoping those would help but to no avail!

I hate having to nap! It's such a waste of time but when I can, I feel like I have to! Ugh!

• 4 weeks later...

This is crap! This is supposed to be fun. Now I have to be accurate at what time I eat? When I ate pasta I was heavier but I had energy. I never had to worry about what time and how much I'm eating. I'm very active. I'm a 40 y male 6ft 211 and athletic. I've competed in CrossFit and mountain bike regularly. I was hoping this time I might feel energy from eating the whole30 way but at day 23 I still feel weak. Trust me I eat plenty. I have plenty of eggs, sweet potatoe, dates, meat, coconut water, etc.... Still no energy. I'm really starting to sought that this wY of eating is really for hardcore athletes. It does make you lose weight but I want to feel better not worse than I did when I was eating bread, pasta, etc... If someone can please confirm that they are a hardcore athlet and they feel better eating this way I'd appreciate it because I'm still not feeling that energy thing. Sorry if I sound angry it's just frustating when u go mountain biking and your friend that eats pizza all the time is killing you on the trails and you are eating super healthy.

Trust me I eat plenty of olive oil, avocado, sweet potatoe, meat, etc... I eat a lot!!! Is it that maybe I haven't gotten used to it. I've done Paleo for 6 months and another time for a month in the past but I wasn't as radical has the whole 30. Last time I did Paleo for a month I felt terrible just like now. The time I did it for 6 months I think I felt a little better but can't quit remember.

Folks, I think It's natural to be tired in the afternoon. This is our bodily rhythm, just masked by all the caffeine and sugar we moderns ingest. This is why in virtually all cultures except the go-go-go West, things slow down in the afternoon (as in, for example, the tradition of siestas in Spanish and Latin-influenced cultures and the fact that napping at work in Japan is so accepted they have a name for it: Inemuri).

Chrisgordillo, if I may suggest: start a new thread, so people can respond to you without getting mixed up with whyte68's situation. I promise you, people will offer their insights and suggestions.

This is crap! This is supposed to be fun. Now I have to be accurate at what time I eat? When I ate pasta I was heavier but I had energy. I never had to worry about what time and how much I'm eating. I'm very active. I'm a 40 y male 6ft 211 and athletic. I've competed in CrossFit and mountain bike regularly. I was hoping this time I might feel energy from eating the whole30 way but at day 23 I still feel weak. Trust me I eat plenty. I have plenty of eggs, sweet potatoe, dates, meat, coconut water, etc.... Still no energy. I'm really starting to sought that this wY of eating is really for hardcore athletes. It does make you lose weight but I want to feel better not worse than I did when I was eating bread, pasta, etc... If someone can please confirm that they are a hardcore athlet and they feel better eating this way I'd appreciate it because I'm still not feeling that energy thing. Sorry if I sound angry it's just frustating when u go mountain biking and your friend that eats pizza all the time is killing you on the trails and you are eating super healthy.

Trust me I eat plenty of olive oil, avocado, sweet potatoe, meat, etc... I eat a lot!!! Is it that maybe I haven't gotten used to it. I've done Paleo for 6 months and another time for a month in the past but I wasn't as radical has the whole 30. Last time I did Paleo for a month I felt terrible just like now. The time I did it for 6 months I think I felt a little better but can't quit remember.

Sorry you're frustrated.

Are you following the recommended meal template for all your meals, and having a pre and post workout snacks on days that you workout that follow those recommendations?

On the coconut water, be sure you're only using that for rehydration after workouts and not as a regular beverage in lieu of water, per the Can I Have Guide

Easy on the dates: the recommendation on dried fruit is to only use it in limited quantities.

Are you drinking at least 100 oz of water daily?  Getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep nightly?

You can also visit the Whole30 for Athletes forum to see how others in your situation have done. 

Archived