thetrainer

I'm curious and would like to get some feedback on plantains. I decided to give plantains a try and have really enjoyed them, but I have a question. I know that plantains are technically classified as a fruit but are starchy like a vegetable, so my question is, do they need to be limited or can I eat them at will? I ask because I know that they are carb dense but have read that they are pretty nutritious.

Thoughts?

• Moderators

Pan-fried plantains are too much like dessert for me to eat them more than occasionally. You have to consider their psychological effect as well as their use as a source of carbs. If they make you want more dessert, you might need to limit them. 

• 4 months later...

I Love plantains! I eat them cooked in red palm oil with eggs in lieu of toast or with egusi soup for lunch in lieu of rice.

What is Egusi Soup? It is a Nigerian dish that is inherently Whole 30 compliant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egusi

Search: Egusi Soup on Google to find the recipe that most suits you...We're already way out of our comfort zone, so why not keep going and try some new recipes?

Happy Exploring!

Archived