Moms and Sleep

mcjule

So I'm 25 days into my first Whole 30 and I'm not noticing that I'm waking up much more refreshed than I used to.  I'm guessing this is due, at least in part, to having two small kids who sometimes wake me up in the middle of the night or earlier in the morning than I would like to wake up.  So the only thing I definitely have control over is my bedtime.  Have any of you found good strategies for ensuring that you get enough sleep?  I tend to go to bed around 11 pm and wake up around 7 am but there are times when I am up part of the night or earlier in the morning.  I know I need about 8 hours of sleep to be at my peak function for the following day.  I think maybe I should try to go to bed earlier, but I'm not sure.  Would love ideas!

I can't imagine going to bed that late...and I'm only 28 without kids yet! My husband and I make sleep a huge priority (since we don't like doing caffeine unless it's an emergency. So, since we get up at 5:30 during the week, we go to bed no later than 9 in the evening. That way we're IN BED for 8.5 hours, if not asleep.

I guess it depends on why you are awake till 11.  If it's because you are trying to get stuff done (laundry, dishes) ask your husband to help out.  Sometimes I feel like as mothers, our jobs are 24/7.  We have no down time unless we specifically ask for help.

If you are up watching tv.  Stop and just go to sleep.  :)

I am totally with you on this.  I was really stressing about how much sleep I was (not) getting.  My girls are 4 and 8, and one of them wakes me in the night 95% of the time.  Last night it was my cat!  GRR!

I don't have any answers, but I do want to commiserate.  My kids aren't out of my hair until at least 9:00 (asleep in their beds), after which is my ONLY time in the day to myself.  I love sleep, but having a couple of hours to myself, watching TV, playing on my phone, or reading, almost seems like a necessity.  I am a stay at home mom and I literally have no break from the kids until that point in the day.

I went to see Melissa give a seminar last weekend and the topic of sleep was big.  If something is preventing you from getting a good night's sleep (such as a new baby, kids that wake up, etc), you have to make sure that your food choices are particularly on point.  Also, that your stress level is being managed as much as possible.

Just do the best you can!  I personally think 11-7 is great! 

I love sleep, but having a couple of hours to myself ... seems like a necessity.

As a mom of 4, ranging in age from 10 - 3, I can't agree with this enough. I tend to overcompensate, though, and often only sleep 2 am - 7 am.

I also have a crazy work schedule of 9 am - 1 pm and 6 pm - 10 pm daily though, and if I want housework done I usually have to just do it myself. I generally try to squeeze a nap in between 2 and 5.

I know I should be going to bed by 11 at the latest, but it feels awful to get home at 10:30 pm and skip all of my alone recreational time in favor of sleep. It's also practically impossible for me to get to sleep unless I'm exhausted when I fall into bed, which makes me feel like I'm wasting time when I get in bed then just lay there for 2-3 hours.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed. By the time I get my kids asleep and the kitchen cleaned up I'm wiped. I should go to bed then, around 9:30, but I usually sit down w my husband.

The tonight he started gabbing and I didn't have the heart to stop him bc he's been working insane hours and tomorrow is his birthday.

It was way easier when he was getting up at 5 for a few weeks and passing out as soon as he came home from work. :( Of course my cortisol was prob through the roof bc I was on my own w the kids all day.

And Clabby I hard you on the cat! My older dog has been waking me up nightly at 1 and/or 3 to pee and walking around all night long on the hardwood floors with her little tapping nails. Making me nuts! Feel like I have a newborn again.

Oh, I am right there with you! I think it sounds lovely to make sleep a priority and to really be in bed for over 8 hours every night. But my reality is that in order to spend 8.5 hours in bed I need to be in bed by 8:50 pm. Most days my husband and I are done with putting the kids to bed at 8:30 pm. After getting my clothes ready for the morning, packing breakfast and finishing up the last things in the kitchen it is my bedtime - NO time to do anything for myself. No reading, no keeping in contact with friends, no talking to my husband, no time to think without interruption, nothing. Living that way I would be rested, but I would be darn lonely and frustrated over never having a moment to myself!

I am also woken up 2-3 times per night by my youngest, so even when I do go to bed at 8-5:20 I am sometimes not getting my 8 hours. I just have no control over it myself. 

I know I need more sleep than I am getting. But with small kids I think I have to prioritize many things, and sleep sometimes take the back seat. Sad, but true. And no kids stay small forever - they all grow up and then we will get more sleep!

(And at least I eat my vegetables!)

Oh, and a special shout out to you SAHMs - when I was with my children all day during (the rather long Swedish) maternity leave I really, really needed some child-free time at the end of the day. With kids there are just no breaks. Now that I am working I can at least sit down to eat lunch or go to the bathroom in peace and quiet. ;)

Lol. I always say that to my husband: at least you can PEE BY YOURSELF!

I think it's important to focus on the quality of sleep. Last week I was drinking caffeine too late in the day and it was destroying my sleep. I was blaming it on the dog but yesterday I only had coffee in the am and slept pretty hard. At least until 5!

I've been reading a lot (Paleo Mom, Chris Kessler) this week about how food is only one part of this WOE. Which we know from ISWF and elsewhere. But good to be reminded. Especially if, like me, you're dealing with an autoimmune issue.

I do think that no screens before bed and using a sleep mask helps a lot. I had a wicked pre bed iPhone habit before my w30. We still sometimes watch TV but I feel like that's less bad than the phone in the bed. (?)

Archived