Metamucil

Peg541

I've been taking Metamucil daily for a long time now. Recommended for cholesterol and just keeping things regular. I stopped it when I started the Whole30 but want to know is this allowed?

Ingredients psyllium husk. Nothing else

.post-43258-0-18048500-1397084525_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

I suggest you type into your search engine "does psyllium cause inflammation".  It is a seed which is not recommended in whole 30.  There are some indications that daily use may cause a sensitivity.  I have used it daily for years, but will try not using it on whole 30.  Will keep you posted on how I make out.

For the record: there are some versions of Metamucil which could be consumed during the whole30, although not required or recommended (psyllium can be very irritating to the colon, and that sort of fiber supplement shouldn't be needed if you each sufficient vegetables)...that said, many varieties of Metamucil contain sweeteners. Those would not be permitted.

• 2 years later...

I found this thread by doing a search about a question that I have.  I know that this is an old thread but I did not want to start a new one.

I am new to Whole30 and have a question about using psyllium - not as a source of fiber to counter constipation, but as a cholesterol-lowering agent.

I was using it on the advice of my doctor to lower my cholesterol, but stopped it during my recent Whole30.  I figured that I could stop it for 30 days because it was important to me to follow the program exactly as it was designed.  I plan to do another Whole30 soon, and would like to know if using the psyllium will interfere with the program.  I do use the Sugar-Free version of psyllium. Thanks.

• Moderators

When you stopped taking it for your previous Whole30, how was your cholesterol?

Even tho the thread is old, the advice still stands... it's not ideal for your colon, and with eating a variety of foods, you should not need it.  Dietary cholesterol is not what causes high cholesterol.  I'm personally not sure of how psyllium lowers cholesterol but eating whole, natural foods is always preferred if possible.

Archived