Spacing Meals

I usually eat meal 1 around 8:30, so I am not really very hungry by 12:00.  However, three days a week, I either have to eat meal 2 by 12:00 or wait until 3:30 when I am back from class.  Should I eat a mini-meal at 12:00, even though I'm not truly hungry?  (It would be difficult to eat an appropriate snack during the class). Another alternative would be to try to wake up earlier and eat breakfast by 7:00...but right now that sounds less than appealing.

Furthermore, to accommodate my husband's schedule, meal 3 has to be 6:00 or 6:30 (sometimes even 7:00), so that's a long wait from a 12:00 lunch.  Would an afternoon snack be okay?

I usually eat meal 1 around 8:30, so I am not really very hungry by 12:00.  However, three days a week, I either have to eat meal 2 by 12:00 or wait until 3:30 when I am back from class.  Should I eat a mini-meal at 12:00, even though I'm not truly hungry?  (It would be difficult to eat an appropriate snack during the class). Another alternative would be to try to wake up earlier and eat breakfast by 7:00...but right now that sounds less than appealing.

Furthermore, to accommodate my husband's schedule, meal 3 has to be 6:00 or 6:30 (sometimes even 7:00), so that's a long wait from a 12:00 lunch.  Would an afternoon snack be okay?

On your first question, I would vote for waking up earlier and having breakfast earlier (as long as you can get 7-8 hours of sleep). The idea with the Whole30 is to tune into your hunger cues, while you create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours. Eating a mini-meal when you're not truly hungry isn't consistent with paying attention to your hunger cues.

On your second question, yes, an afternoon snack is ok, only if you are truly hungry. For the purposes of the Whole30, hungry means you could eat steamed fish and broccoli.  If you are genuinely hungry between meals, that's when you have a mini-meal containing a protein and fat.

I *hate* eating when I'm not hungry (unless it's a hyper-palatable food, obvs), so my suggestion is to try waiting until 3:30 and seeing what happens.  If you start getting hangry, a mini meal is probably a good idea.  If you actually feel okay (just really hungry), why not?

If you're feeling dizzy, sick or crazy hungry at 3.30, you need the 12.00 meal, even if it's a mini-meal rather than a full meal (use the template). I would get up earlier and eat earlier, to give you a more regular schedule across all your days of the week.

If you have an alternating schedule, some of the "cue" tricks may need some adjustment. Regular meals are best, but if your schedule is odd, being as consistent as possible allows your body to adjust and give you proper cues. 

Don't be tempted by non-template snacks, they only make the spacing more confusing and mess with your cues :)

Archived