Pressure Cooker

Dominik

Hi guys. I've been thinking about getting a pressure cooker. I really want to make bone broth. Any suggestions as to the best pressure cookers out there that are easy to use for newbies like myself? Thanks! 

• Moderators

I love my Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Top Pressure Cooker 7.4-Quart that I ordered from Amazon.com. After reading a bunch of pressure cooker reviews, I decided to spend a little extra to get the one the New York Times described as the Mercedes-Benz of pressure cookers. Kuhn Rikon is a Swiss company. Pressure cookers are so popular in Switzerland that the average household has three!

Presto has been very reliable for me and my family (Mom still has one that must be over 60 years old).

I tried an electric pressure cooker and ended up returning it.  See Amazon for reviews before you buy.  There will always be SOMEONE who has something negative to say, but when there are a lot of negative comments about a product, it is wise to pay attention.

I love my Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Top Pressure Cooker 7.4-Quart that I ordered from Amazon.com. After reading a bunch of pressure cooker reviews, I decided to spend a little extra to get the one the New York Times described as the Mercedes-Benz of pressure cookers. Kuhn Rikon is a Swiss company. Pressure cookers are so popular in Switzerland that the average household has three!

Tom, I know very little about pressure cookers because I am scared to death of them.  Let's just say my sister had a freak accident with one.  What exactly are you cooking in them, aren't they suppose to cut the time of cooking down?  I would rather ask someone that is singing its praises than just to read something online....

Thanks!

• Moderators

The reason I like my pressure cooker is that it has multiple safety features. It would never blow up no matter what you did. The worst that could happen would be if you left it on the stove so long that it completely dried everything inside and eventually melted the bottom out of the pot. That would take staying on the stove on high overnight, not forgetting about it for an hour. 

In my pressure cooker, I cook 

a whole chicken in 30 minutes and save all the liquid in the pot as homemade broth

bone broth in 60 minutes

ground beef chili in 20 minutes (think Well Fed Chocolate Chili only super fast)

soup in 15 minutes (think Well Fed2 Golden Cauliflower Soup only faster)

collards and stew pork with onions in 20 minutes

etc. 

I have dozens of pressure cooker recipes on my site

I totally need a pressure cooker! That sounds awesome to be able to make what are normally slow long cook-all-day recipes in 30 minutes. I like to eat asap when I get home from work as I'm usually hungry right about the time I get off, so I'm always trying to find recipes that cook quickly, but a pressure cooker would mean I could make slow recipes cook faster!

Hi guys. I've been thinking about getting a pressure cooker. I really want to make bone broth. Any suggestions as to the best pressure cookers out there that are easy to use for newbies like myself? Thanks! 

For Dominick (and anyone else who is interested): there is a pressure cooker available that also has a slow cooker setting. I did a lot of research when I was looking into buying a pressure cooker and the abundance of choices was not making my decision any easier. Pressure cooker vs slow cooker. Teflon-lined vs non-Teflon-lined. Electronic vs stop-top. Ugh!

What I ended up buying (and have been using for almost 3 years now) is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=instant+pot

I have the LUX60. The LUX50 is still available but it's the previous model to the LUX60. The new model is the DUO60. You can pressure cook, slow cook, saute, and the newest model even has a function that allows you to make your own yoghurt and kefir! The model I have allows one to slow cook up to 10 hours (the newest model can be preset to 20 hours). If for whatever reason I want to make something that takes, let's say, 20 hours, I just use two back-to-back 10-hr cycles. The big advantage electronic pressure cookers have over stove-top ones is that you can just walk away from them. I can throw my ingredients in, set everything up, and leave the house for the whole day, and come home to ready-to-eat dinner. This particular brand also has a "keep warm" function that automatically kicks in after the cooking cycle is done and runs for a maximum of 8 hours (so the meal/food doesn't spoil).

I really don't have a single complaint about this particular pressure cooker and it has met *many* of my cooking needs. Michelle Tam from Nomnompaleo also got one very recently and loves it to bits as well.

I feel obligated to say that I am in no way affiliated with the company. I am just *very* happy with this product; there is so much junk out there waiting to be bought, and it is such a refreshing and welcome change when one comes across a product that is really well-designed, well-thought out, and does what it's supposed to!

I hope this helps! :)

Pressure cookers are fabulous!  (I'm not Swiss, but I have 3, too.  :) )

Make sure to get one that is a newer "generation" type - not the rocker top kind.  They're simpler, and you don't have to worry about misplacing the rocker.  (btdt)

They're easy-peasy to use, honest, and have safety features - don't worry!

If you only have one, get at least a 6 quart - you can put a small amount in a larger pot, but can't put more in a small pot.  :)

If I had to have only one, I'd probably keep my 8 quart over the 6 quart - even though I live alone. 

There are great recipes and website support out there - I can't wait to check out Tom's website - thanks Tom! - a new one to add to the list!

Check out Lorna Sass (though she's veg-leaning these days), "Miss Vicki" , hippressurecooking - lots of resources.

I've had an InstantPot on my Amazon wishlist for ages...  :)

Have fun!

I have this pressure cooker and love it. Lots of safety features. I've done turkey broth, chicken broth, beef broth, and vegetable broth. All of them have turned out pretty awesome and you know exactly what goes in. Looking for compliant broths in stores, I think I found 1 broth that was compliant and it was like $7 for 1 pack.

I've also done chicken breast in it, which turned out incredibly juicy. I've done pork tenderloins that come out very tender and still slightly pink in the middle. I've done beef roasts in there that you can cut with your fork.

I'd definitely highly recommend one.

Archived