McJule's Post-Whole 30

mcjule

Phyisbeth, they actually did try but there was nothing gluten-free to be found.  We were in the rural midwest so the options were limited.  My husband looked all over for something I could eat.  I ended up saying that they should get a regular cake because my kids were looking forward to it and it was ok that I couldn't eat it.  My husband and I did find some chocolate to have for dessert after dinner out.  

My mom is aware of my eating restrictions and tried to be helpful but we're talking a very big family -- over 20 people -- so it was impossible to make everything for me and I get that.  My mom got me almond milk for my coffee and lots of eggs and sweet potatoes but obviously every meal couldn't be made especially for me.  

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like you did fairly well.  It's so hard to be away from home and away from your routine and regular food options.  Next time, pick up a GF cake mix and bring it with you! :)  Although, not eating cake was probably good...

I came home and looked at the supermarket for gluten-free cake mix and it definitely exists!  So next time I will do that. I guess I assumed that it wouldn't be that hard to come by, but I was wrong!  

So I am still sick and actually feeling worse today.  Yuck!  I cannot seem to get enough sleep and work is super crazy busy.

Breakfast:  eggs w/one slice of bacon and kale, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  work luncheon . . . not sure what will be served

Dinner:  chicken and veggie stir-fry (we had leftovers last night so this is on for tonight)

Still super sick which led to me eating a small breakfast and then needing a Lara bar after lunch.  So sick of feeling this crappy!

Breakfast:  two hard-boiled eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover chicken and veggie stir-fry, Lara bar

Dinner:  leftover tomato and sausage sauce, large salad

I was so tired last night that I couldn't make dinner (or do anything else).  So I had leftovers and today I will have to go out to lunch.  I'm feeling a little better, which is good, but I still have a ways to go.  Can't wait for the weekend!

Breakfast:  sauteed bacon and kale w/3 scrambled eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  probably a salad . . . will update

Dinner:  if I am up to it we'll have the Thai green beans and beef or else we'll order

Hey all. Well the cold is not gone but it's getting there.  I have never had such a prolonged and brutal cold!  My weekend felt like a waste.  I rested but that meant I did nothing fun and nothing productive.  We got so low on food that on Sunday I had macadamia nuts for lunch!  We have a second vacation -- this one at the beach -- coming up in three weeks and I was going to clean up my diet (i.e., no sugar, no non-gluten grains, no alcohol, maybe no sweet potatoes . . . ) but I can't do that when I'm feeling so sick.  While I'm not having alcohol of course while feeling sick I need the comfort of my sweet potatoes and occasional rice.  Plus I can't work out at all.  Hope this is gone soon.  Oh, and AF is here today!!  Ah!!

Breakfast:  three eggs w/sauteed kale and bacon, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond milk

Lunch:  work lunch, I'm having a kale salad w/grilled chicken

Dinner:  grilled chicken and veggie kabobs, basmati rice, salad, two squares of dark chocolate

And still have the cold!  Day 14.  It is getting better . . . SLOWLY.  What a huge pain.  And AF is making me SO yucky and bloated.  I hate that.

Breakfast:  three eggs w/sauteed kale and bacon, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond milk

Lunch:  went out to a restaurant, had deviled eggs and a chicken salad (it's a farm to table place so hopefully ingredients were pretty good -- it sure tasted good!)

Dinner:  carrots w/baba ganoush, spaghetti squash w/sausage and tomato sauce, salad, two squares of dark chocolate

Feeling a bit better today and I'm down to my last sweet potato so I guess tomorrow I start trying a more strict diet (basically the Whole 30 without nuts or potatoes, but not going to worry if I get a tiny bit of added sugar or something small like that).  Although we have hosting friends on Saturday for a BBQ and planning to serve fresh corn and I'll probably have some wine if I am feeling good so that will be a cheat meal, but otherwise should be on track until vacation.

Breakfast:  three eggs w/sauteed kale, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond milk

Lunch:  leftover spaghetti squash w/sausage and tomato sauce (I swear I have this weekly -- such an easy meal!)

Dinner:   Thai beef w/green beans, basmati rice, two squares dark chococlate

So today was going to be the start of my no-starch two weeks but I forgot that I put rice in my lunch so we'll hold off on that!  But I do have a non-sweet potato breakfast.

Breakfast:  three eggs w/sauteed kale, two chicken sausages, coffee w/almond milk

Lunch:  leftover Thai green beans and beef w/rice

Dinner:  no idea

So sickness is almost gone and I had a really fun weekend -- social and active!  I got on the scale today since AF is gone and was not upset with the number.  Below where I started my Whole 30 so that was nice.  Hoping to stay focused this week but dropping my morning sweet potato has just made me starving all day.  I'm not sure what to do anymore about losing weight.  I just to just starve myself and I know that is stupid but I'm feeling lost now . . . 

Breakfast:  sausage, three egg, and kale scramble, coffee w/almond milk

Lunch:  leftover chicken breast and salad, baby carrots w/guacamole

Dinner:  burger (tomato and lettuce bun), roasted green beans, few tortilla chips

I'm sorry you feel lost.  I've been there.  If I remember, you don't have a lot to lose, either.  For me, I just had to accept that I'm almost 40, I've had 2 kids, I'm not willing to starve or exercise more than I do, so I will be the weight I will be.  It's taken a while to get here, but mentally, it's a much better place and I hope to stay here.  I'd rather be mentally calm than 5 lbs thinner.  There's nothing wrong with tweaking and experimenting, though, as long as it doesn't make you crazy.  Hang in there!

Jen, I may need to start accepting my weight.  The weight I aspire to is one I had before I was married, before I had kids, when I was in my 20s and lived alone where I worked out daily and ate "perfectly."

It's 11:30 am and I'm absolutely starving -- my breakfasts are just not big enough.  And I'm worried because my lunch is kind of small too -- I'll need to find something to supplement.

Breakfast:  sausage, three egg, and kale scramble, coffee w/almond milk

Lunch:  Thai green beans w/beef, two chocolates

Dinner:  grilled chicken breasts, salad, tortilla chips

So yesterday I had two chocolates at work (though none after dinner so that's a win right?)  ;)   Then I had some leftover tortilla chips as we were waiting for dinner (we ate at 9:30 pm!).  Not great, but as I look back two chocolates and a handful of organic non-GMO tortilla chips is NOT the worst thing I could eat.  

Breakfast:  sausage, three egg, and kale scramble, coffee w/almond milk and coconut milk

Lunch:  was supposed to meet a friend but she had something come up so I'll pick up something . . . probably a salad -- that is what I always do!  Edited:  did have a salad w/chicken and avocado

Dinner:  oh no!  I just realized I forgot to thaw the fish.  Guess I can do that in the microwave.  Going to do fish and a salad.  Went out to dinner and had the insides (not the shells) of fish tacos and some chips and salsa

Workout:  did 2/3 of my weight workout for the first time in forever.  Felt GREAT!

So last night was kind of a mess.  I ended up spontaneously going out to eat with a friend and our kids.  It was a Mexican place and there was nothing really "good" on the menu so I had some chips and salsa and ate the insides of fish tacos.  I guess it could have been worse.  I am not really a spontaneous person and I don't like going to restaurants without knowing the menu ahead of time but the kids had a blast so I guess worth it for them!

Breakfast: sausage, three egg, and kale scramble, coffee w/almond milk and coconut milk

Lunch:  salad w/chicken, few bites of a risotto ball

Dinner:  I'm trying a new recipe for a shrimp and rice noodle dish.  Yes, this violates my "no non-gluten grains" for two weeks but I seem to be failing at that anyway!  It looks really yummy so we'll see how it goes.

I think chips and salsa and the insides of fish tacos is a good choice for a Mexican restaurant, assuming corn agrees with you.  When I can plan ahead, I bring carrots, celery and plantain chips to dip in the salsa and guac, but I've been known to occasionally indulge in tortilla chips, too. :)  Your meal sounds much better than mine at the Chinese buffet, which was also for the kids. 

I don't seem to have problems with either corn or rice and I try to eat organic non-GMO versions of them when I do eat them but overall I think I could cut back.  I probably average twice a week for rice and less for corn but lately I've been having more corn than usual.  The farmers market corn on the cob doesn't make me feel guilty but the chips do and I had them twice this week!  

Yeah, I wouldn't ever buy them just for me but we've been entertaining a lot and they make for an easy appetizer.  Plus selfishly I'm choosing an appetizer I can eat -- I used to do cheese and crackers but I can't have either of those.  Maybe I should do cheese and crackers to limit my own eating!

My stomach is a bit off today -- I'm trying to figure out what caused it.  I did have a couple bites of a risotto ball yesterday so maybe that was it.  Or maybe the rice noodles at dinner?  That would be a bummer.

Breakfast:  sausage, three egg, and kale scramble, coffee w/almond milk and coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover curried noodles w/shrimp

Dinner: probably more leftovers -- need to see what we have

I don't know if I would suggest putting out cheese and crackers.  Unless your will power s way better than mine.  I did google Paleo appetizers though and found all sorts of ideas.  If your main need though is fast and easy maybe pick up some pre-cut raw veggies.  Toss them on a tray with some dip made from Paleo mayo and It's just as good and easy as chips and salsa.  I made the ranch dressing from www.theclothesmakethegirl.com and it was the best thing I ever ate.  The kids were licking it out of the bowl.

Archived