McJule's Post-Whole 30

mcjule

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back from my mini vacation.  It was the BEST and I feel very refreshed.  Little did we know we'd be escaping on the coldest weekend so far this year.  I got tons of sleep and spent time outside.  My eating was pretty good . . . I had a little dessert two of the nights and some corn/rice, but nothing crazy.  No candy or anything really bad.  I'm back and ready to start Lent.  Other than giving up sugar, which I do every year, I'm not sure what else I want to give up food-wise.  Last year I did my Whole 30 during Lent and I suppose I could that again but I'm not really feeling up for it.  So I'm still thinking about what to do.

So I braved the scale today and was actually surprised that it was down a smidge.  Still about three pounds above where I was at Christmas but I will get working on that.  This week is kind of survival mode for us because we've gotten a lot of snow and it's freezing cold, which meant that the stores were completely sold out of everything.  I want to get back to no grains during the week but this week is going to have to be an exception!

NS Day 4 (started a few days ahead of Lent!)

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover chicken pad see ew, apple

Dinner:  roasted chicken breasts w/potatoes, salad

Workout:  none

So my goal for the weekend is to figure out what to do with my CSA food.  I have turnips and rutabagas (thinking of using those in a stew or pot roast) and also bok choy.  My exercise has been abysmal this week but I'm SO exhausted.  The trip was wonderfully relaxing but we got back so late due to flight delays that I got almost no sleep and just haven't caught up.

Breakfast:  kale w/eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  egg salad

Dinner:  fish w/onions and capers, salad

Workout:  yoga (braved the cold!)

We are going to a dinner party and I don't know what will be served.  I am feeling a little calmer about these social events, which is good.  I'll be able to find something!  

Weight is up a little but I'm trying not to obsess about it.  I think I have to eat less plain and simple. I've cut the worst stuff from my diet (dairy, gluten, most processed foods) so I know it's not what I'm eating and therefore it must be quantity.  I'm 10 pounds above goal, 5 pounds above comfortable weight.  Something's gotta change!

NS Day 6

Breakfast:  three eggs scrambled w/leftover fish and onions, small sweet potato w/ghee and almonds, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover pad see ew, some of my kids' popcorn 

Dinner:  party got canceled so I had to pull some stuff out of the freezer, had chicken marsala, some rice, and some wine

Workout:  probably none (we're getting hit with another batch of snow and I'm home alone with the kids)

Party is rescheduled for tonight.  

NS Day 7

Breakfast:  three eggs scrambled w/kale, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover chicken marsala and rice (I don't think I can freeze this again!)

Dinner:  party

Workout:  weights

Party was a blast . . . overdid it a tad on the champagne/wine and ate popcorn at home because it made me hungry.  Live and learn.  Could have been worse!  The desserts looked AMAZING, but I resisted.

NS Day 8

Breakfast:  three eggs scrambled w/kale and bacon, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover chicken marsala

Dinner: carrots w/baba ganoush, spaghetti squash w/sausage and tomato sauce, salad

NS Day 9

Lunch:  leftover spaghetti squash w/sausage and tomato sauce

Dinner:  Thai basil beef and green beans, rice, wine

So I'm definitely overdoing it on the non-gluten grains.  I've had rice several times this past week and I know I need to cut back if I want to lose weight.  It doesn't seem to affect my stomach, but I need to limit it to the weekends.  I'm off the scale for a while with AF, but trying to figure what works and what doesn't for weight loss.  My weight seems to be stuck about three pounds above where it was at Xmas and about 10 pounds above my goal.

NS Day 10

Breakfast:  three eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover Thai beef basil and green beans

Dinner:  chicken, asparagus

Fell AGAIN on the ice and banged up my leg badly so working out did to work out so to speak . . . 

On the plus side I am really doing just fine with the no sugar.  Suddenly I don't really crave it at all.  The only temptation was the party on Sunday where I was looking at all these yummy desserts, but on a day-to-day basis I don't miss it.  The next thing I want to tackle, besides my overall attempt to eat less to lose weight, is the rice.  It's really the only non-Whole 30 food I have regularly and I feel like it went from about once a week on the weekend to several times a week.  It doesn't upset my stomach, but if I'm looking to slim down I think I should cut it.

NS Day 11

Breakfast:  three eggs scrambled w/bacon and spinach, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover Thai beef basil and green beans, Lara bar

Snack:  vegetarian pizza topping (no crust)

Dinner:  leftover spaghetti squash w/tomato sauce and sausage, salad

I got into a rice eating thing last summer. It was nice to have it occasionally after not for so long and I didnt bug my stomach or skin or mood at all. But yeah, I think it can puff you up a little. It is so convenient and I tend to fill up on it versus meat or veg if I have it around.

Bravo on the no desserts at the party--even after champagne and wine.

So yesterday I was starving.  Hunger is funny.  I had a larger breakfast than I had the day before (two slices of bacon and spinach in addition to my eggs and sweet potato) and the exact same lunch.  Yet, but 1:30 pm I was starving, like REALLY starving.  So I had a Lara bar, which helped but I was still hungry. Then early evening I was at an event that served pizza.  Obviously couldn't have that but I was so hungry that I ate the toppings off a veggie slice!  The cheese upset my stomach a bit, but I didn't have the crust.  I think it must be related to AF being here.  Tends to increase my hunger.  

Beets, yeah, the rice is great, but I need to cut it down, maybe even cut it out for awhile.  It's also hard because I make it for my husband and then of course I want to eat some.  

NS Day 12

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk, two clementines

Lunch:  not sure yet, I'm having lunch with a client and not sure what the options will be

Dinner: shrimp creole

Workout:  will try to do weights, my leg is still hurting from the fall

Weekend went fairly well.  Had a glass of wine one night, but got in some weights and eating was pretty good.  Still too many non-gluten grains (i.e. rice) but everything else is good.  At home with a kid whose school is closed . . . feeling ready for spring!

NS Day 15

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs w/spinach, sweet potato w/ghee and almonds, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover spaghetti squash w/sausage and tomato sauce

Dinner:  Nom Nom Paleo Yankee Pot Roast

Workout:  none (lots of walking though)

Weight is still not budging, but at least it's not going up!  I'm trying to cut way back on the non-gluten grains so maybe that will help.  I have also avoided nut butter during Lent.  I've had some slivered almonds on a salad and my sweet potato a few times, but avoiding the nut butters has been good.

NS Day 16

Lunch:  leftover Yankee pot roast

Dinner:  chicken and broccoli w/turnips and rutabagas

Workout: yoga 

NS Day 17

Lunch:  leftover chicken w/turnips and rutabagas, avocado

Dinner:  spaghetti squash w/prosciutto, salad

Sara, nuts and nut butters are sometimes, but not always food without brakes for me.  It's funny.  Like using nuts as a salad addition or topping on my sweet potato is fine.  Having nuts in my office for when I get hungry is not.  Right now my house is full of nut butters -- pecan, almond, sunflower, and for my kids peanut.  Most of the time avoiding them is no problem but sometimes if I'm really hungry and I decide just to have a spoonful things get out of control!

Another snow day for me and the kids so we'll be at home all day.  Hope we don't go too stir crazy!

NS Day 18

Breakfast:  three eggs scrambled w/asparagus and a slice of gruyere (I usually avoid cheese but a little bit of hard cheese doesn't upset my stomach and tastes so good!), turnips and beets, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover Yankee Pot Roast

Dinner:  leftover spaghetti squash w/sausage tomato sauce, salad

Workout:  weights

Archived