Brewer5: First Whole 30

Brewer5

{Whew, went into a bit of a panic last night when I could not get on the forums to log my food!}  :D

Day 9

M1:  scrambled eggs (2) in pastured bacon grease

M2:  grass-fed beef & veggie mix leftover, sweet potato slices, 12 oz. coffee

M3:  palm-sized pork chop, org gala apple, org baby carrots, homemade sunflower butter

M4:  grass-fed bison brat from Grass-Fed Traditions, green bell pepper & onion cooked in coconut oil, org baby carrots & homemade sunflower butter, whole avocado

This was a gym day, which is always heavy lifting.  (I don't "do cardio").  Plus walking, plus being out at the ball diamond again like we have been almost every night.  I'm getting pretty good at throwing some things into one of those Ziploc divided containers and taking it out the door with me.  Actually, I am quite enjoying it.  Proud of myself.  I know every family is different, but in this family I have realized I really do set the example.  If I am eating better, we all eat better.  If I give in to cravings for junk, we ALL eat junk.  It's not my kids.  It's not my husband.  It all comes down to me.  They pretty much go along with whatever I say.  That, my friends, is a blessing and a curse.  LOL  Talk about pressure to do things right.....  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 10

M1:  grass-fed beef & chopped veggie mix leftover, 12 oz. coffee

M2:  scrambled eggs (3) cooked w/ lots of kale & green onion in bacon grease, org apple, carrots, homemade sunflower butter

M3:  pastured Italian-seasoned ground pork, green onion, diced bell pepper & zucchini, TJ's unsweetened marinara, whole avocado

M4:  carrots & homemade sunflower butter

Having to edit this day now.  Stayed up LATE with my oldest son and watched a movie last night.  I was still feeling hungry after supper, could have definitely eaten another bowl of my new creation with the marinara sauce.  However, the kids were loving having something new, too, and so I quiety let them chow it down.

If I had gone to bed at a normal time, I could have gotten through the evening without eating again.

But I didn't.

I am aware that my choice is a snack, and here I am, owning it.  

Would I have eaten steamed fish and broccoli, if it had been made for me?  Absolutely.

{That, my friends, is a blessing and a curse.  LOL  Talk about pressure to do things right.....  

The blessing (and curse) of being a parent.  I was realizing this same thing over the last week or so as I was feeding my kids from the things in my house that I couldnt eat!  I rationalize it that it isn't sooo bad :)  But even the kids have noticed that what I eat isn't that bad!

The blessing (and curse) of being a parent.  I was realizing this same thing over the last week or so as I was feeding my kids from the things in my house that I couldnt eat!  I rationalize it that it isn't sooo bad :)  But even the kids have noticed that what I eat isn't that bad!

Our family has been "eating Paleo" for about 1.5 years.  We sort of de-railed on a recent vacation (2 weeks in Florida), but we have managed to keep it mostly gluten-free.  Maybe a trace of gluten used in a sauce on chicken or something, but otherwise -- no bread, pizza, etc. etc.  No one here misses those things.  What I'm talking about is when we've gone out for ice cream, or I've been stressed out for supper and we just ordered mexican food...  You know, those times -- it's all about me and my cravings, my stress level.  My husband very rarely suggests things like that.  He'll go along with it, sure.  :D  As will my kids.  But thankfully they go right along with eating really clean, too.

Kmlynne, I have been thinking about your problems with coconut.  I can't remember what you said about it or how you narrowed it down to that, but I just wanted to throw this out there -- just in case.  Did you know that there are entire books written about the healing powers of coconut oil?  (Check out Amazon).  It can be pretty potent stuff!  It is anti-viral, anti-microbial... I mean, the list goes on.  Where I'm going with this, is that MANY (most?) people have to start with a tiny amount of coconut oil and work their way up to tolerate more.  I don't remember if they talk about that in ISWF, but to me it is just a fact I have known for many years.  I would never, ever recommend that people who are new to coconut oil would just dive in and start eating multiple tablespoons per day!  I would tell people to start with a teaspoon and work their way up from there.  Are you familiar with Candida/yeast issues?  Coconut oil can actually help get rid of these nasty little buggers, and that can cause die-off symptoms -- especially digestive distress.  Anyway, let me know if you need any more info.  If not, I will shut up.   :D

I know that MCT oil is made from coconut oil, also.  I suggested it because I thought you may do better with it.  But I really don't remember what you said (or if you said) what your problem was with the coconut oil.  FWIW, I just heard Chris Kresser answer a question on a podcast yesterday (I love him.  If you don't know about him, definitely worth a look-up) -- anyway, it was someone asking specifically about eating ghee when they react to dairy and eating coconut oil when they react to coconut, and his response that there really should be no problem with these because almost 100% of the proteins that cause a reaction have been removed.  That is what made me start thinking about you yesterday, while I was listening to that podcast.   ;)

Brewer5

Thank you so much for thinking about me!  I have to say this has been quite an adventure!

I think that I have talked a little bit more about my coconut issues on my whole30 log more than in other posts.  I have been Eating fairly well for many years now (even ate vegetarian for a few years), but with some relapses into "junk food" when life just seems to get out of hand.  One thing that I learned is that even if you are "vegetarian" or follow some other kind of "calorie restricted diet", you can still eat mostly junk and be "compliant".  In 2009, in spite of trying to eat "better" and diet, I was not losing weight, and had a number of different gut issues.  I was sure I had IBS or Krohn's, or something along those lines.  When I started having trouble swallowing, I finally went to my doctor.  Afte much blood work and other tests, I was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis.  A big fancy word for "you entire gut is inflamed".  This sent me off to have allergy testing done.  Although I didn't have a life threatening reaction to soy, it was a big enough reaction to make the doctor very concerned.  I also had a flare up with tree nuts.  The way the doctor described it was:  never eat soy.  You may be able to tolerate small amount of tree nuts with minor problems on occassion. 

I know from the past that I do feel better when I stay away from soy.  Living in a processed world makes staying away from soy a challenge.  Sure, its healthier to make your own salad dressing, but it is much easier to walk into a store and buy some.  No matter what you get, it often has (hydrolized) soy protein or soy lecithin, it not straight out soybean oil.  Trying to stay vegetarian and avoid all soy was also a problem.  I found that as long as I stayed away from "most" of it, I felt better - and tolerated minor GI upsets most of my life.  That's the thing with this type of allergy - it is not seen as quickly as reactions such as hives, or difficulty breathing.  When that is your reaction, you have much greater incentive to stay away. 

Being on the whole30 and eating clean, healthy, whole foods has made me realize how much soy I was really getting in my diet.  I think that even the small amounts that I had before was masking my reactions to nuts.  So, when I started eating more coconut (ie tree nut), I began to have bloating, gut tenderness, and general not feeling well reactions.  Perhaps I noticed them more when I reintroduced coconut as a trial because I was looking for them.

After some initial weeping and wailing and "why me", I have come to realize that it is not the end all, be all of life to give up coconut.  At first, I was ready to give away everything that I had in my house pertaining to coconut.  Now, I am realizing that maybe, someday, I might be able to have some small amounts of coconut here and there - especially when I want to quickly sear some vegetables on high heat. 

You are right that when the natural balance of good and bad bacteria in our gut can cause problems.  I am hoping that as I take better care of myself and can restore that natural balance, I might be able to tolerate more.  I am still using my coconut oil/baking soda toothpaste with no difficulties - maybe because I am spitting most of it out :)  I will look into the MCT oil some more - I am now not totally ruling it out.  Perhaps, because it is more refined, I will tolerate it better since the refining process removes the proteins that cause the reactions.  I am going to try to find a very small jar of it to start with. 

Thank you so much for all your help in trying to trouble shoot my problems!  I am going to listen to some of those podcasts, too!

Kmlynne, so glad to hear you have found the Whole 30!  I believe in the power of meat, for sure.  :)  And soy IMO is just bad, bad news.  I learned years ago that I don't do well with it.  If I started eating soy protein bars like Clif or Luna bars, I would start spotting between periods which had never happened before.  When I stopped the soy, it stopped.  And I tested this theory multiple times.  The hormonal effects alone that soy can have are scary.  Not to mention digestive issues.  And we see all these products at the store made from soy, not resembling real, whole food in any way...  Well, it is sad to me.  Robb Wolf is the first Paleo podcast I started listening to, after I read his book, and he was a Vegan for years and it almost killed him.  He was in bad shape.  That's how a lot of these people end up with such a voice in the Paleo community -- because they've had their own serious health issues and figured out how to turn things around and heal themselves through nutrition.  I love it.

I'm sorry you had to type out so much of your story when I could have just went and looked for your food log.  Duh.   :rolleyes:   I will go check it out sometime.  And no, I am certainly not saying that you must have coconut oil to be happy & healthy!  Just wanted to point out that it can affect everyone in the beginning, and that maybe you are not actually having an allergic reaction to it but more of a die-off sort of thing.  In that case, it would be a good thing, but you would have to manage your dose to where it does not cause you uncomfortable symptoms.  

Day 11

M1:  scrambled eggs (3) w/ lots of kale & onion in pastured bacon grease, sliced roma tomato, 12 oz. coffee

M2:  ground grass-fed bison w/ diced onion, one large carrot, apple w/ homemade sunflower butter

M3:  ground grass-fed bison w/ diced onion, zucchini, broccolette, carrots, yellow bell pepper, ghee, a few carrots with homemade sunflower butter

Walked 3 miles today on our local walking trail.  Weather was perfect.  

The amount of time spent in the kitchen is starting to stress me out, I admit it...  Even though my meals are fairly simple and I am not messing with any complicated recipes, it is still a lot of time in the kitchen to feed my family of 5 the best I can.  There were many other things I wanted to get done today, but so many vegetables and fruits here screaming "Wash me!  Cut me up!"  haha  At one point I thought, "This right here is why it is so easy to say screw it and go to a restaurant."  ...But we didn't, as you can see.  ;)

I just wanted to let you know - in case you wanted to try it - I checked into the duck fat that I had been buying and it was from "fattened, grain fed ducks".  I checked out amazon and couldn't find any pasture or grass fed ducks, so went on a google search.  There is a company from Oregon - Fatworks -that sells pastured duck fat, leaf lard and tallow.  Right now, their duck fat is sold out, but I am watching for them to get some in stock.  For now, I am going to try the tallow.  

Have a good day!

Day 12

M2:  1/2 sweet potato, scrambled eggs (3) w/ lots of kale & onion, 12 oz. coffee

M3:  can of Polar tuna, 1/2 large organic gala apple, homemade sunflower butter

M4:  grass-fed beef, cauliflower, zucchini, yellow bell pepper, onion, coconut oil, carrots w/ sunflower butter

Sometimes I wonder if I am gaining weight on the Whole 30.  lol  If so, that is okay, but I don't think it is actually happening.  Just seems like a lot of food when I type it all out.

I've decided this is officially what my workout days are going to look like -- 4 "meals".  I get up earlier on these days, I am working harder, and we've always got to be out at the ball park for game(s) or practice, so that usually means eating a smaller something that I pack and take along (or eat right before we go out the door) -- and having a real supper pretty late, when we all get home.  Hey, I haven't eaten one single thing from the concession stand (nor have I been tempted), so I'll take it.   ;)

Kmlynne -- thanks for the tip on the duck fat!  I will have to check it out.  Sounds like a good one to add to my options.

Day 13

M1:  scrambled eggs (3) w/ small amount of leftover beef/veggie mixture from last night, whole avocado, 12 oz. coffee

M2:  can of Polar tuna, lots of organic carrots w/ homemade sunflower butter

M3:  grass-fed ground bison, yellow & green bell peppers, onion, zucchini, coc. oil, TJ's marinara

Since we actually did not have to be at the ball park tonight, we had dinner earlier.  Hoping I can make it through till breakfast without getting hungry.

It was rainy here today and we did not get a walk in.  I am feeling it.  Looking forward to the gym tomorrow.

Day 14

M2:  baked sweet potato, can of Polar tuna

M3:  leftover bison/veggie mix from last night (not enough), hard-boiled egg, sliced roma tomatoes, several carrots with a Wholly guacamole pack

M4:  organic gala apple w/ unsweetened almond butter

M5:  TJ's canned chicken breast w/ diced bell peppers, homemade taco seasoning, whole avocado

Well, this is a first -- having to list 5 meals on a workout day.   :rolleyes:   I need to think ahead better... need to have more things cooked ahead.  Today it caught up with me, and I was hodge-podging my lunch together (it wasn't enough, and I knew it at the time).  Then we needed to go to the big city (hour away) to stock up at Costco and Trader Joe's again.  The rest of my family ate bun-less burgers at Five Guys, and I got through with the apple & almond buttter until I got home and could throw together a real dinner for myself.

I really just can't believe how much better I feel.  I mean, I believe it, but WOW it makes me want to go back and kick my own ass for letting myself be in a cloud as much as I have been lately.  My workouts have been better, my mood...  I mean, really.  I won't go on and on.  But these big trips to the stores with all three kids used to just be daunting and mentally exhausting.  I absolutely "had" to have a cup of coffee.  Not tonight!  I thought about it, well you know because it is part of the ritual, right?  Part of the routine.  But my very next thought was "You can't drink coffee at 6:30 at night, you big dummy!"  haha  And I'm glad I didn't, because here I sit at 11:30 at night with plenty of energy and mental clarity.

Day 15

M1:  scrambled eggs (3) in ghee, carrots & almond butter, 11 oz. coffee

M2:  ground turkey, orange & green bell pepper, leek, TJ's marinara, carrots & almond butter

M3:  same as M2 -- apple instead of carrots

Probably enjoying my new (unsweetened) almond butter from Costco a bit much.  I have been making my own nut & seed butters at home for awhile now, and they never turn out this creamy.  I will reign it in soon... because the jar will be gone.  haha

Another cold, damp day here today and it's getting old.  It's May.  Come on.

Day 16

M1:  scrambled eggs (2) in ghee

M2:  baked sweet potato, leftover turkey/veg mix from yesterday

M3:  scrambled eggs (3) w/ kale & onion in ghee, carrots & almond butter

M4:  grilled chicken breast, Wholly guacamole cup, broccoli, onion, red bell pepper, coc. oil & ghee, tomato slices, carrots & almond butter

Day 17

M1:  grass-fed bison sausage, green bell pepper & onion, 11 oz. coffee

M2:  chicken breast, yellow bell pepper, onion, coc. oil, tomato, Wholly guacamole cup

M3:  carrots & almond butter

M4:  ground turkey burger, coc. oil, baked sweet potato, dry roasted salted cashews

I woke up today feeling hungover, and not sure why.  Weather is cold and dreary, as it has been all week.  Struggling with almond butter that I shouldn't have bought at Costco -- so after my "M3" snack today that I felt I "needed", I mixed the rest of it up with a very ripe banana and put it in the freezer for the kids.  I think PMS is beginning, and that is a whole 'nother ballgame.  :(

Day 18

M1:  scrambled eggs (3) with kale & onions, cooked in ghee, 10 oz. coffee

M2:  pulled pork & green beans

M3:  ground turkey burger, coc. oil, apple, carrots, homemade sunflower butter

M4:  chicken breast, tomato, Wholly guacamole cup

Today was not a workout day, but I did push-mow (almost) the entire yard with our new NOT self-propelled mower.   :D   That is a workout.

We also had a cookout we were invited to that we had to attend today.  The food was catered, I believe... we did not bring anything.  I wasn't planning on eating there, but after seeing all the food I decided to just go ahead and eat with my family.  That is M2, the green beans & pulled pork.  There was no BBQ sauce on the pork -- it was on the side, optional.  The green beans did have little chunks of ham in them, and I decided that was fine.

I have some moments when I think I could go on Whole 30-style forever and ever, and I have moments where I know there will be things I will want to eat again occasionally.  Since we've been Paleo so long, my "cheat" list probably doesn't look so bad.  For example, popcorn at the movie theater is not something I am going to go without for the rest of my life.  I choose to be unhealthy on that one, as it is a rare treat with my kids, and I super-enjoy it.  I also will not go forever without a glass of wine.  I haven't felt like I "need" it like I used to sometimes, but I think there will be evenings with my husband where yes, I choose to go ahead and have it, consequences be damned.  ;)  

Day 19

M1:  scrambled eggs (2) w/ ghee

M2:  baked sweet potato, can of Polar tuna, 10 oz. coffee

M3:  grass-fed bison, onion, broccoli, apple & carrots with homemade sun. butter

M4:  TJ's canned chicken breast, diced yellow & red bell pepper, homemade taco seasoning, diced avocado, tomatoes, carrots & sun. butter, a few cashews

Met with my trainer today to discuss maybe being in a competition someday.  He had to weigh me and do 7-point skinfold analysis --  which has no impact on how I am eating or behaving on this Whole 30.  It was just informational for him.  Body fat is great at this point, I would just need to really work on packing on some more muscle.  I hope to be able to do that following Paleo as closely as possible.  We will meet again in 2 weeks when I am done with my Whole 30, to do measurements again and talk more about nutrition for my goals.  I am going to take him the food list & meal template sheet and see what we can figure out.   :)

What kind of competition are you contemplating Brewer? 

Either bikini or figure, depending on what my hypothetical body looks like someday.   :D

ETA:  Probably holding out for figure if I can ever achieve it, since the posing requirements for bikini are turning out to be...... not my thing.

Either bikini or figure, depending on what my hypothetical body looks like someday.   :D

ok. let me just say this: proceed with caution.  :)  I get that there can be a really amazing sense of empowerment and accomplishment from being in this sort of competition, but I'm afraid the "winning" body is not a healthy body for many or even most women. It takes hard work and dedication to get there, but many times it also means sacrificing health (in the short-term or the long term). A lot of competitors struggle with hormonal balance, metabolism issues, energy issues, hair-loss, etc. Seriously. Competition prep can be brutal, and not everyone bounces back easily from it. so, I guess what I'm saying is: go into it with your eyes open and if you decide it's what you want to go, that's cool, just take care of yourself.

missmary, Physibeth, I want you to know I hear your concern & I totally get it.  :)

More than anything, I am intrigued by the process.  I want to know HOW these people put on that kind of muscle (and maintain it), and I wonder if I can do it while also adhering to my Paleo lifestyle.  

Overtraining, sleep deprivation, excessive cardio, obsessive tracking of calories, protein shakes filled with junk -- these will not be part of the picture for me.  And if, in the end, that means that I don't ever compete -- then so be it.  

But right now, I am in a place where I am really up for the challenge.  I want to have the goal.  I want to train and eat to build muscle, and I feel like I am in a better place to do that right now than I have ever been before.

My health comes first.  My family comes first.  I am so thankful to have a husband and children who are supportive of whatever I decide to do.  And if anything gets in the way of me being able to be the best I can be for them -- well, it won't be in the way for long, I can tell you that.  ;)  

I spent the first 34 years of my life not taking great care of my body or my soul.  Even when I thought I was taking pretty good care of myself, I now know I was not.  I've spent the last 1.5 years on a personal Paleo journey, a transformation, that I won't write a book about here today.  But I have come too far and learned too much to just throw it all out the window.  It's not happening.  :)

Day 20

M1:  scrambled eggs (4) with kale & onion, ghee, coffee

M2:  pork cutlets, baked sweet potato, mashed cauliflower, ghee

m3:  ground grass-fed beef & pastured pork, zucchini, red & green bell peppers, onion, coc. oil, TJ marinara, carrots & homemade sun. butter

I went for four eggs for breakfast today for the first time & felt awesome.  Got out in the yard trimming trees & stacking things up on the burn pile.  Lots of energy & stayed satisfied for quite awhile.  Feeling great since the weather is nice again, too.  Got a mile walk in at the ball park tonight -- feels good to be back at it after a week of no walking.  Crazy how much the cloudy, rainy weather can slow me down!

Day 21

M1:  scrambled eggs (2) in ghee

M2:  baked sweet potato, can of Polar tuna

M3:  grass-fed angus burger, diced tomato, green beans, ghee

M4:  org apple w/ sun. butter

M5:  hard-boiled eggs (2) w/ Wholly guacamole cup (yuck! I do not recommend this), a few bites of leftover angus burger, brussels sprouts, coc. oil

Today was a big workout day, plus we had a late baseball game... hence, the five "meals".  I grabbed the apple & sunflower butter on our way out the door when I realized it would be 3 more hours until I could have dinner, and I was already starting to feel hungry.

We haven't had brussels sprouts roasted in the oven in coconut oil & salt for a long time.  I forgot how filling they were!  I really wasn't hungry for anything else, but made myself come up with the egg/guacamole concoction.  Not a fan.   :wacko:

Archived