Does your body's reaction to foods change after multiple Whole30's

CRCBN

I finished my 2nd Whole30 on Wednesday and reintroduced dairy yesterday. It seemed odd to me that I didn't have any physical reaction to dairy this time because last year when I completed my 1st Whole30 dairy caused a physical reaction (bloated, gassy, brain foggy)

The only reaction I found this time was that cheddar cheese is a food without brakes -------- an ounce sprinkled on my morning eggs left me feeling like I could eat the whole block. The whole butter and sour cream that I ate yesterday didn't seem to phase me at all.

Is it normal to have different reactions after your second Whole30?

Sometimes if you are sensitive to certain foods, if you go long enough without eating them, your body "forgets" it's sensitivity. Sometimes it takes months, sometimes years depending on how severe the sensitivity is.

• Moderators

Your gut may be healthier than it was before, so it may be handling things better than it did before. Of course, if you want things to go back to how they were, all you have to do is eat off-plan foods steadily and things will revert. :)

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is a bit old, but from all that I've been reading about food intolerances, they often occur after the gut has been compromised to a certain degree, and that once the gut heals, it's quite possible to reintroduce previous trigger foods without any issues.

Of course, there would be exceptions to this, and some people should leave certain foods out long term. Plus, in some cases, it could be foods that are causing the issues in the first place, so why introduce them at all...but in your case, it sounds like your gut is in better shape so it would be no surprise that you have no trouble with dairy this time around.

If you've healed your gut by removing inflammatory triggers and eating healing foods like bone broth, its entirely possible to re intro something to which you were previously sensitive. There are many success stories of people healing themselves on the Auto Immune Protocol (AIP) and after 6-8 months being able to eat things that they never thought possible, like nightshades. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing a "Slow Roll" Reintro.  It will soon be 2 months.   I've been adding one item a day and observing all reactions.

I have not added fast sugars, refined grains and frankenfoods.  All of my numbers are stable.  I'm planning on several months of the Slow Roll.   It is my maintenance protocol and important to me as the Whole 30.

Archived