Scared of how i'm feeling, please help

Hey all!

So today is day 12 for me. I'm loving the food, the way of life and I know this great for me but about a month ago I weaned off of my antidepressants for anxiety and depression (I was only on for about 6 months which I gained about 20 lbs on-ack!) and after exercising, meditation and a lot of self-help and support I happily was off of them and feeling great.

I also was excited about trying the W30 because I knew that can help me feel better as well. But everyday I feel my depression and weird disconnected just 'out of it' feelings coming back and it's scaring me. I'm trying to be positive but I'm hoping (PRAYING!) this is just 'part of the detox' and 'this too shall pass' - 

I'm not going to compare myself to others but I feel like by now I should be feeling better, not worse. 

I read somewhere there's a connection between low/no carbohydrates and low serotonin but i'm not sure. 

I'm sleeping well, drinking tons of water, not a ton of energy but managing.

Just some reassurance would help.

Thanks in advance!

I read somewhere there's a connection between low/no carbohydrates and low serotonin but i'm not sure. 

This. The whole30 isn't meant to be low carb, but sometimes people forget to include enough starchy carbohydrates in their meals. Make sure you are getting lots of starchy veggies and lots of good fats. Both of these can help. I would go for a whole sweet potato at each of the next few meals just in case.

I hope things get better soon. come back and let us know how you are doing.

Hey!! Actually i've gone through a lot of what u describe. I'm 90+ days strong on w30; i've been weaning myself over the last 45 days. I eat enough carbs/fats etc, drink water and sleep too. I have learned that once we are eating w30 for awhile our bodies/minds are more connected and can communicate a lot better. So before maybe u just couldn't recognize that disconnect beginning to happen. Now you can. That means you are empowered to maybe give yourself some extra space and maybe come up w/a strategy on what to do if you do have an anxiety attack etc. also i found that i rarely have symptoms anymore except during PMS. And just tracking that helps me understand what is going on with my head and address it appropriately. Also, give it time. I thought I'd be the golden picture of health after 30 days, but it's a process. This stuff doesn't happen as quickly as we want it to, but i can tell you from what i've gone through that i learn more everyday about my body and what is hurting and helping it.

I found that whole30 made my anxiety and depression worse. BUT. It was eye opening. It led me to realise just how much I use food as a distraction/band-aid for things going on in my life. Now I know what's going on, I can look to tackle the deeper root of the issues :)

Keep going! If you do the Whole30 properly (course correcting as necessary per missmary's advice), you will hit the stable blood sugar state that is one of the benefits of this program. Then, if you really are experiencing depression, at least it won't be exacerbated by the fluctuations of sugar highs and crashes.

Good luck!

FAT.  In my experience, I feel SO much better when I am getting more fat.  My anxiety does noticeably flare up on less fat.  Not ruling out carbs, too...  But really focus on a lot of quality fat, also, for a few days and see how that feels.  Good luck!

You might google the withdrawal symptoms for the medications you're weaning off of.  I've found that in getting off of these types of medications, the withdrawal symptoms were as wide-ranging and intense as the side effects.  There was one medication that I took for only two weeks and then the side effects were so strong that I felt it would be better to get off of it - and the withdrawal symptoms lasted for about two weeks.  With another medication that I took for several years, it took weeks for me to feel the withdrawal symptoms leaving my body.

That said, it can be tough to get off of medications when first starting Whole30.  Initially I found that my medications just worked better.  It wasn't until months later that I was able to get off of medications.  So if you find you need the medications to get through your day, go ahead and take them.  But look up withdrawal symptoms and see if that's what you're dealing with.

Hang in there.

Wow thank you for taking the time to write these notes of support! 

I am learning so much from this. I noticed I feel great in the morning and after dinner when I've had a sweet potato. I literally feel like my brain is starving for something.

I eat plenty of healthy fats and veggies and a couple of fruits a day. I'm debating about continuing this but adding in a grain in the morning. like some oatmeal. I know then i wouldn't be doing W30 obviously but doing it in every other way.  I feel I have to listen to my body but I want to keep continuing.

It's great to feel I'm not alone. I'm almost annoyed that I feel this way because i've been doing so great with eating! argh.

@foursimplewords: what are you doing now since W30 made your depression/anxiety worse?

Thanks Amy! I was off of my meds for at least a month before I started W30 and felt great. I weaned for a month and then was off completely for a month. I don't think it could be withdrawal, but maybe?

Archived