Incredibly frustrated- whole 30 complete and discouraged

i will give the disclaimer- I know this isnt about weight loss BUT...

background- I did a ketogenic diet 2012 and went from 194 to 148. Took 5 months 20 lbs crept back by December even though I was living a very low carb lifestyle 2013 March did diet again to lose 25 lbs for wedding in June I did it. Continued pretty decent low carb diet but by January of this year I was up to 172. Only thing that stopped weight gain was my introduction of running. February I had hemi thyroidectomy (nodule removed). Began realizing I have disturbed my metabolism with these ketogenic diets. Started Whole 30 April 7th. Continued walks/runs and hitting highs on activity of 7-8 miles a day (walk/runs) per my awesome fit bit. Eating better and more healthy than ever.

Weighed in on day 31. Lost 4.5 pounds. Convinced my thyroid must be off- Nope, labs just came back normal.

I am almost 40. Doing more good things for me than I ever have in my life- diet, exercise and I don't understand why my weight won't budge. I have excluded everything medically (went to functional med doctor for full work up- cortisol, adrenals,etc).

Help? How do I get a decent metabolism? I am enjoying the Non scale victories- better sleep and energy but I can't get over how I can't see any downward movement on scale- as of this am I am even up 2 pounds. (I know it fluctuates day to day).

Advice?

• Moderators

Losing 4.5 pounds in 30 days is a good pace if you have fat to lose. Men sometimes lose weight faster than women and people who carry a large volume of fat can lose fast for a while, but 4.5 pounds is still a good rate of change. For reference, I never lost more than 2 pounds in a month when I adopted Whole30-style eating. I went from 215 to 185 in 15 months, losing 2 pounds per month each month. 

You have a history of losing weight with extreme diets and then gaining a lot of it back. Take a break from the roller coaster and do this the healthy way. You have been doing things right lately. Don't stop.

Did you take any before and after measurements?  Are your clothes fitting better?  Relying on the number on the scale can be a mistake, in my opinion.  I wish I could find it.  There is a post with before and after photos of a woman who weighed the same amount - 155 lbs - in both photos, but the transformation is amazing.  She looks much thinner, fitter, happier, younger, etc. in the after photo. 

Also, consider the fact that the quick weight-loss methods really haven't worked for you before - they only worked as temporary "fixes".  As Tom suggested, perhaps you'll have much better luck with permanent weight control by losing weight more slowly.

That's a great link.  I did take measurements. I lost 2 inches in waist, 1 inch in thighs and 1 inch in hips.  nothing to impact my clothes size or anything.  I am going to stay on track and take the stance of if it's slow to come off it better be slow to come back on.  I know I have done some damage to my metabolism.  Just wish I knew ways to jump start it.

Thesalty7, even though you are frustrated, I wanted you to know that I find your results inspiring. I'm coming to Whole30 from a very low carb diet and I've definitely gained weight so far. I'm on day 14. If I end up losing even 2 pounds, I will be thrilled. I so desperately want my clothes to fit again.

Congrats on your success!

Archived