I'm on day 1 and I'm pretty sure I am addicted to 5 hour energy. I had a rude awakening when I went to run some errands on my lunch break today and ended up falling asleep while listening to a podcast in a parking lot in between stops. After 3.5 years working at a Starbucks in my early college days, coffee doesn't do it for me anymore. I know the Whole30 is supposed to help me derive energy from better sources and a more optimally running body, but for now, I need to not fall asleep in the middle of my work day. I usually start off my day with a 5-hour and have another mid-afternoon. What can I do instead so that I'm not passing out on the job, or worse, while I'm on the road?

For context: I have been drinking plenty of water (~60 oz before lunch) and I am well hydrated and I had an egg muffin (with bacon, cilantro, lime, salt, and pepper) with a banana for breakfast). I did go to bed fairly late last night, but that's not out of the ordinary for me...in fact, in a surprise twist, this NON morning person popped up out of bed at 6:30 today (I usually get up at 7 am), ready to take on day 1 with gusto!

Oh boy.  

As you know, the 5-hour energy has to go.  You are going to have to get by with some coffee -- and they don't recommend that past noon.

You are going to have to sleep.  I mean really, sleep.  Even if it is "normal" for you to go to bed late and get up early -- this program is all about finding a new normal.  Your body needs rest, and the more you push it without giving it what it needs, the more it is going to catch up with you.  Trust me.  BTDT.

Lastly, I will throw this out there since you'd like to call this day "Day 1" -- your breakfast does not really follow the meal template.  Is the bacon uncured and sugar-free?  (If you bought it in a regular store, the answer is probably no.)  Also, there are no vegetables (you should have 1-3 cups per meal).  How many eggs are in an "egg muffin"?  You should be eating as many eggs as you can hold in your hand (usually 3-4).  And we are to be getting healthy fat with each meal -- 1-2 Tbsp of oil, or at the very least, some avocado, olives, nuts, seeds.

Oh geez, guess I have more to panic about than I thought!

Ugh, well the egg muffins were 2 eggs each and I had 2 packed, but I just wasn't hungry for a second. I'm not sure if the bacon was uncured, but it was definitely sugar free. It comes from a local provider, not from the grocery store. I forgot about the meal composition requirements, I was so focused on prepping lots of whole30 compliant food and following the official program rules. I thought those were the most important and the other downloads were supplemental info/guides. 

I've got plenty for lunch though, thin sliced beef, mixed greens, cucumbers, and carrots w/ homemade vinaigrette (olive oil, apple cider vinegar, fresh strawberries and a little bit of Himalayan pink sea salt) and almonds on top, and I guess I can throw in that second egg muffin :)

I'd really don't want to start over...was my breakfast really a day 1 deal breaker?

P.S. the one egg muffin is definitely palm sized...not sure how one could fit 3-4 eggs in the palm of their hand, cooked or uncooked?

I'd really don't want to start over...was my breakfast really a day 1 deal breaker?

It doesn't look like you need to start over, no. On the whole30 there are rules and there are recommendations. The rules dictate what you can and cannot eat in terms of ingredients. The recommendations tell you how to compose those meals for best results. We will certainly suggest getting veggies in at breakfast, but not having them is not cause for a re-start.

good luck with your whole30!

P.S. the one egg muffin is definitely palm sized...not sure how one could fit 3-4 eggs in the palm of their hand, cooked or uncooked?

This made me smile.  :)  I can easily hold 3 (uncooked) eggs in my hand, and I'm a relatively small gal.  Some days I think about trying to fit 4 in there... and I just might be able to do it if I am hungry enough.  ;)

Sorry, I did not mean to say you should start over or send you into a panic.  Just wanted to let you know, as missmary said, "for best results" you should be eating pretty big meals 3x per day, following the meal template.  It's a well-designed program, and every part of it serves a purpose.  When I see people not following the recommendations, those people tend to have more issues such as needing to snack, not feeling full and satisfied, struggling with cravings, etc.

Kicking that 5-hour energy habit will be one of the BEST things you can do for your body.  Stick around -- I'm glad you found us.  Good luck!

This made me smile.   :)  I can easily hold 3 (uncooked) eggs in my hand, and I'm a relatively small gal.  Some days I think about trying to fit 4 in there... and I just might be able to do it if I am hungry enough.   ;)

Haha! I guess I have small hands! I'm always afraid to carry too many eggs at once from i.e. fridge to bowl or stovetop...because I know one will end up on the floor and my dog will think he's getting a treat!

Kicking that 5-hour energy habit will be one of the BEST things you can do for your body.  Stick around -- I'm glad you found us.  Good luck!

This is one of the things I'm most looking forward to saying goodbye to, because it doesn't taste good and it doesn't even feel good...it's just something that gets me through my work day. I didn't realize until my first morning without it how dependent I was though!

Thanks for all of the tips and encouragement! And I'm glad I don't have to start over, but now I'll keep the meal template in mind when I pack breakfast and lunch, maybe I'll even print it out and put it on my fridge  ^_^

I searched two grocery stores for sugarless bacon ... was unsuccessful.  Next stop, butcher shop!

Yeah, definitely try butcher and if you still come up empty handed, do some internet research and reach out to small local farmers/meateries, farmers markets, etc. I've found they're usually very open and willing to answer questions, and even tell you who else might have what you're looking for, even if they don't!

Archived