Starting to feel confused after reading these blogs

tracilee77

Hi,

I am 60+ days Paleo and on day 4 of Whole30. My doctor suggested Paleo after having stomach issues and it has helped, but not relieve all my issues.  I thought I was doing great for the past 2 months (started march 3) but after reading blogs the past few days I wonder if I am eating enough.  I lost 8 lbs the first 8 weeks (which included a vacation so it was a win for me), so I feel I am doing something right.  I do feel sluggish when I run over 3 miles, but I wonder if that is in my head.

I rarely feel hungry, when I do it is at 3-4pm.

Tuesdays meals:

Post WO: 1/2 cup sweet potato w/ cinnamon and butter after 2 mile run (I was already told to not eat the butter but add protein)

Bfast: 2 eggs w/ 3.5 slices of bacon (sugar free) and a banana

Lunch: Chipolte for lunch because I was in meetings all day - Salad, Carnitas, Pico and Guac.

Dinner: Leftover Chicken and Steak, spinach salad w/ zuchinni and sugar snap peas.  Balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Wednesday meals:

Post WO: 1/2 cup sweet potato w/ cinnamon and butter after 3 mile run

Bfast: 2 eggs w/ 3.5 slices of bacon (sugar free), spinach and a small banana and handful of raspberries

Lunch: Spinach Salad w/ chicken, pine nuts, balsamic vinegar and olive oil, fresh strawberries

Dinner: 3 eggs, 3 slices of sugar free bacon and spinach (later tonight)

Any productive suggestions would be appreciated! :)

Hey there. Hope I can add some helpful suggestions. Feeling sluggish on Day 4 of a Whole30 is not unusual and without knowing what variety of Paleo you were doing before it is hard to say if it is expected in your case.

I couple of suggestions/comments:

1 - I know you know now not to have fat but instead protein in that post workout meal, but I also want to make sure you know that butter is not approved for Whole30 unless it is ghee or clarified. Maybe yours is but that wasn't clear to me from what you wrote.

2 - If you are running first thing in the morning (which it looks like you are doing) I would add a pre-workout meal of fat and protein as well. Doesn't need to be a lot of food. A hard boiled egg would suffice. Eating within an hour of waking is really important to re-balancing your hormones and will probably help with that occasional 3-4pm hunger.

3 - I would suggest adding a 3rd egg to your first meal and more vegetables. Fruit is optional for Whole30 and it shouldn't push veggies off your plate.

4 - I'm not sure what type of stomach issues you are dealing with but I noticed the majority of your vegetables appear to be raw. You might try doing more cooked vegetables for a little while to see if that helps at all. Also the volume of vegetables you can consume is much greater when they are cooked so you will get more nutrients by filling the rest of your plate with cooked vs raw veggies. 

Hope some of these suggestions help. I did my 1st Whole30 while training for a half marathon if you want to peek over at my log for things that might also be helpful. You might also find some good information in the Whole30 for Athletes section.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am actually not sluggish right now because I have been doing Paleo since March 3rd. I hit the carb flu in March before I read what it was, I couldn't believe how horrible I felt for like 2 weeks!!! My main cutouts for Whole30 was honey, dark chocolate, coconut sugar and the sugar in bacon.  

It is mainly my runs that make me feel sluggish.  When I hit mile 3 it is like I crash into a wall, when I was eating carbs I could run 5-6 like nothing.  I only just started running in the morning since it is getting hot in Virginia.  I will add more meals and eggs, I just find eating in the morning a horrible task.

Do you always feel a before and after workout meal is needed, is that vital or can it be skipped?

I have used grass fed organic butter, but bought ghee just afraid to try it not knowing what it tasted like.

My stomach issues involve manly gallbladder removal 2.5 years ago, lots of issues, reflux, intestinal pain and much much worse.  My symptoms have lightened up but haven't gone away.  oh I also suffer from chronic hives (lucky 1% of population that they have no reason why), those still haven't gone away, was hoping they would.

Unfortunately, I believe the butter consumption is cause for a restart, but I'm sure someone will chime in with a definitive answer.

In another post, Tom Denham (Moderator) just wrote a short while ago that athletic performance is typically down a bit in the first 2 weeks of a W30.  That could be the cause for your mile 3 slump.

How much sleep and water are you getting/drinking each day?

Oh, and even if you find out that you've been doing certain things "wrong", don't stress about it.  First of all, stress is bad for you ;-)  Second, these are all steps toward great personal results for you.  Does it really matter if it takes 40 days vs. 30?  What you're doing for yourself is great!

I have used grass fed organic butter, but bought ghee just afraid to try it not knowing what it tasted like.

Unfortunately, I believe the butter consumption is cause for a restart, but I'm sure someone will chime in with a definitive answer.

ABS32013 is correct. Ingesting butter requires a restart on a Whole30.  The only dairy products allowed on a Whole30 are clarified butter and ghee.

Call it a Whole34 if it works better for your mindset.

In another post, Tom Denham (Moderator) just wrote a short while ago that athletic performance is typically down a bit in the first 2 weeks of a W30.  That could be the cause for your mile 3 slump.

This has been a running slump since March 3rd when I started paleo...not new from whole 30

Do you always feel a before and after workout meal is needed, is that vital or can it be skipped?

The pre workout meal is only vital when you workout before meal 1 because we really want you to eat within an hour of waking. When I run it is usually in the am and I always make sure I eat something before I go. Post workout meals are something we would like you to try. I'll be 100% honest and say I stink at them myself and generally only do them when I've had a very intense and/or long workout. Either way I make sure I get starchy vegetables in the meal right after my workout.

My stomach issues involve manly gallbladder removal 2.5 years ago, lots of issues, reflux, intestinal pain and much much worse.  My symptoms have lightened up but haven't gone away.  oh I also suffer from chronic hives (lucky 1% of population that they have no reason why), those still haven't gone away, was hoping they would.

Your missing gallbladder will mean you will have much more trouble digesting fats than other people. You probably already know this. This article might help if you are not already doing all these things. http://balancedbites.com/2012/12/faqs-how-can-i-eat-paleo-without-a-gallbladder.html

Not sure about the hives. There may be a food that is still technically compliant that you are reacting to, you may need more time, or it might be environmental. 

@Bethany, thanks for the website link. I can feel the authors pain. I have spent 2.5 years adjusting my diet so I don't feel completely ill and I can leave my house without stress of getting sick.  I get stomachaches but not nearly the intensity as before, I feel there is something else going on but i just don't know.

I didn't run this morning, mainly because I didn't make anything last night to eat.  I am having trouble coming up with ideas, I realize that probably sounds silly, but I am just not into food in the morning.  The thought of eating early turns my stomach. I will come up with something it will just take a little planning!

thank you for the advice

Traci

I am also wondering if you should think about subbing out your bacon at breakfast for something else. 3.5 slices of bacon seems like a lot at one meal, and you might be better served by eating more eggs or a different kind of protein instead of the bacon. Compliant bacon should be used as more of a condiment or add-on rather than the main source of protein at a meal.

Check out the Whole9 bacon manifesto, which says it way better than I could! http://whole9life.com/2012/03/bacon/

Archived