7 day reset, bringing my 6 yr old along for the ride

karaj

I have completed 2 whole 30's this year, one of which continued for an additional 10 days. I've been eating paleo for almost a year and have tweaked and fine tuned my eating habits along the way. On my whole 30's I have struggled with snacking and eating enough fat. In the last couple of weeks we have had a couple of events on including my birthday which meant paleo cake and a very special not paleo, but gluten and dairy free dinner. I'm feeling like a need a quick reset so have decided to do 7 days. My daughter has been really interested in all of this so I thought it would be the perfect opportunity for her to try it out. Her diet is mainly gluten and dairy free but I want her to see the difference sugar makes to her behaviour. I've decided to start this log as I really want to stick to the meal template this time and I need some accountability! I'll be checking in again on Monday to log day one

Day one went really well.

Breakfast was a Fritatta made with pork mince, leek, spinach and tomato. Miss six ate it in record time, I guess in excitement, not sure why, we have Fritatta twice a week and I can struggle to get it in her.

Lunch was tuna and olive patties, butternut soup and snow peas, red pepper and baby carrots with mayo.

Miss six took tuna salad, snow peas, baby carrots, nuts and fruit in her lunch box. Then an after school snack of fruit and nuts before ballet.

For dinner we had beef burger patties, roasted brussel sprouts and salad, followed by a banana.

Miss six had a bit of a grump this afternoon but she's happy now. She's looking forward to seeing how she feels tomorrow.

A Whole7 is perfectly fine for you, since you've done a Whole30 and are just re-setting, but... Might you and Miss six consider having her do a Whole30 instead of just 7 days? It's possible she will have a really good experience with it, but it's also likely that she will go through the not-so-good stuff that happens early on during a Whole30 (the grumpiness, headaches, withdrawals, fatigue) without ever reaching the good feelings that often occur after the second week.

Just a thought.

Thanks Glenn. I have considered it, and I'm hoping that she might be happy to continue a bit longer after the seven days. I'm trying to get her to understand that when she deserves a treat it doesn't need to be a sugar bomb and to understand how sugar affects her mood. I know she copes better with short term goals. Seven days might be enough of a start to get her to grasp this. I'd love her to do a whole 30 but I need her buy in since I can't be with her all the time. I don't want to push her as I want her to enjoy this and not resist it.

The only issue with only 7 days for her is she is likely not going to feel better without sugar for at least 2 weeks. But I would say fight the battle a week at a time and see how it goes. The fact that she is interested in trying is huge!

We had a great second day too.

Breakfast was a steak, kumara and egg skillet. All the kids loved it.

Lunch for me was leftover beef patties, salad and veges with mayo. Miss six had the same lunch as yesterday.

She also had a banana with almond butter after school.

Dinner was roast chicken, kumara, yams, beetroot with steamed green beans.

Miss six is currently nibbling on some nuts and she just told me her tummy isn't as sore as usual, Yay!

Hi - I hope you are able to continue W30 with Miss 6.  I have not gotten up the energy to get my kids to do this, but I have a feeling it would help my 9yo's behavior.  I'd love to hear how it goes for you. :)

Another good day but she is a little upset about missing out on some foods. Though she did tell me that she would like to do 10 days.

Breakfast was pork, kumara and spinach.

I had leftover chicken and veggies for lunch and miss six had the usual. She seems to be grazing less and eating her meals vigorously! Even with swimming lessons every day this week she has plenty of energy.

Dinner was chicken soup and kale chips.

I'm really happy with how she is responding so far. And I'm feeling good myself, I feel so much better sticking to the template

Hi - I hope you are able to continue W30 with Miss 6. I have not gotten up the energy to get my kids to do this, but I have a feeling it would help my 9yo's behavior. I'd love to hear how it goes for you. :)

I really think I have seen a change in her behavior already. She's a smart girl but she gets easily distracted and is quite fragile. She plays up as her emotions are always all over the place. I'm noticing she seems more balanced the last couple of days.

That's so great that she's actively saying that she wants to do it longer - maybe get her a goal chart or such (I don't know if she's old enough for apps?) so she can see how many days in a row she can string together - make a game of it for her.

That's so great that she's actively saying that she wants to do it longer - maybe get her a goal chart or such (I don't know if she's old enough for apps?) so she can see how many days in a row she can string together - make a game of it for her.

Great idea, thank you!

Day four went well but breakfast started with a bit of a struggle. We had pork, spinach and tomato Fritatta. The kids weren't so into it today but it disappeared eventually.

Lunch for me was leftovers from dinner and miss six had her usual plus half a raw fruit bar. I found out she wasn't managing to eat all her food in her lunch break so her teacher let her have longer today and that seemed to work well.

Dinner was pulled pork cooked with leek and apple, parsnip and carrot mash and Green beans.

I made a banana and cocoa icecream after dinner to keep the Littles happy.

Miss six is going to help me with next week's meal plan, should be fun :-)

Too many nuts!!! I don't normally keep too many nuts in the house but the kids have been eating more. I need to learn some self control!

Breakfast was a steak, kumara and egg skillet.

Miss six had her usual lunch and I had leftovers.

We had a nut fest after school :-/

Dinner was cevapcici from the clothes make the girl with salad. Delicious!

The weekend was a little more challenging but we made it through. Saturday breakfast was a way off template banana nut 'porridge'. Then we went to miss six's hockey practice. Are that we did the meat and produce shopping. Lunch was a pork stir fry. Dinner was roast chicken drumsticks and veges. Miss six stayed at grandma's that night. Exciting news, my mum asked me to help her do a meal plan so her and dad can do a whole 30 so we spent Saturday night working on that.

Sunday morning was pork patties, kumara and spinach. Miss six had eggs and fruit. Lunch was butternut soup with beef meatballs. Dinner was guac burgers and kumara fries.

Miss six has decided she doesn't want to continue but we only have compliant food at home so she's carrying on anyway! She feels really good. No sore tummy and get behaviour has improved so much :-)

Archived