Finding it hard to eat breakfast - advice please???

Pdy246

Hello everyone,

I'm on Day 9 of my first Whole 30. I'm feeling good but have one issue. I find it really hard to eat breakfast.

I've never felt hungry in the morning (even as a child), and always described myself as 'not a morning person'. Grumpy and tired and a bit depressed on waking generally. Lots of milky coffee to get going. Then I would normally eat my first meal at about 1pm or later, then my second at around 6pm. Sometimes something else a bit later. In general I would eat late in the day, rather than early.

Now I feel good in the morning for the first time in my life - when I wake up, I'm awake. That's that. It's like there's no slow transition from sleep to being awake. And I feel the same level of energy all day. It's amazing.

After a week of whole 30, I now feel hungry first thing in the morning - this is a really new feeling for me. My stomach is rumbling, and I know it must be hunger, but I just can't bring myself to eat. Food just seems unpleasant.

Should I force myself to eat breakfast? Does anyone have ideas for things that are easy to eat when you feel off food - the thought of a 'dinner' type of breakfast puts me off. Is it better to just have a snack of fruit or nuts than nothing at all? Will it get easier if I make myself do it a few times? I'm drinking green tea to stave off the rumblings, should I stop and then I might find it easier to eat?

I think psychologically I may be stuck with the idea that it's good to miss meals because my primary motive here is weight loss - even though I know intellectually that it's flawed logic!!!

Good luck to everyone with their journey,

Paula

I cannot tell you what to do but after many years of skipping breakfast, when I went on Whole30 July 1, I forced myself to eat it and I am very glad that I did. I finally started losing weight again after a long stall, and I feel much better in the morning now.

I am still doing Whole30 and I still force myself to eat. It takes a long time to retrain the body's signals.

Maybe you could make your breakfast seem more like a snack. That might not seem so daunting. Two sliced HB eggs, some grape tomatoes plus a few nuts is a favorite meal of mine. Not a huge meal or heavy on my tummy but enough to hold me for hours.

Good luck!

I have a only a mild appetite in the AM, and I don't care to have that "full" feeling so soon in the day. My larger meal is lunch.

Nevertheless, I do make sure to get a serving of protein (important) and at least a handful of veggies cooked in fat. Or I eat a protein heavy soup. Soup in the morning works well for me.

I like having a cup of hot water with some freshly squeezed lemon juice in it when I get up first. It sort of eases me into the day. If I don't have much of an appetite, I usually find that a couple of poached eggs with some black pepper and paprika are easy to stomach. Once I've eaten those, I tend to have more of an appetite and might have some blueberries or raspberries then too.

I think as Adagio says, it's worth perservering and will take a bit longer to break old habits.

I had the same issue. I can eat breakfast just fine if I wait about 4 hours after I wake up. For the Whole30, I forced myself to eat within 2 hours of waking up. Even after 30 days, I still struggled to clean my plate. Now that I'm post-Whole30, I wait to eat until I know I can put it all away. At least I tried for the 30 days and I think some of us are just programmed a little different. Also, I did notice that if I waited to drink my coffee until AFTER I ate, I had a little easier time getting the food down. Coffee messes with my digestion a bit...

I would definitely force myself to eat breakfast. If I recall from the book and discussion elsewhere on the forum, eating breakfast is really critical to helping the Whole30 work on getting your hormones, etc. back in alignment.

Making some egg or meat muffins in advance and being able to just "heat and eat" might help. Hardboiled eggs would work that way, too, or a frittata. Wtih the egg muffins or frittata, you can add veggies right into those, so you have at least some on your plate.

I've read here and in other places that morning hunger is connected to leptin working properly

Confession. For my first entire whole30, I would get up, drink coffee with coconut milk, walk and work out, and only then come home and eat breakfast.

I'm 20-ish days into my second one now and suddenly, this week, I woke up for the first time in a long time actually hungry upon waking up. Since then, I've been hungry every morning, and have been eating before I walk.

I've read here and in other places that morning hunger is connected to leptin working properly

Confession. For my first entire whole30, I would get up, drink coffee with coconut milk, walk and work out, and only then come home and eat breakfast.

I'm 20-ish days into my second one now and suddenly, this week, I woke up for the first time in a long time actually hungry upon waking up. Since then, I've been hungry every morning, and have been eating before I walk.

Good to know there is hope for the rest of us non-breakfast people. :)

I do eat breakfast every morning but not immediately because I exercise within an hour of getting up every day. I used to just drink coffee but now I at least have a pre-workout egg with my coffee. It's becoming habit.

The beauty of creating good new healthy habits is that one by one each new healthy habit builds upon another until all of a sudden you wake up months and months later with a whole new healthy LIFE. :)

It was not even be a matter of consciously making a new habit, for me -- I literally woke up one day and my body felt different about food in the a.m. And it took a lot longer than just 30 days. I'm now wondering what else might happen if I can carry this out to 60 days, or 90.

@ SueWaz - at the beginning of the week, I saute a container of mixed mushrooms and baby spinach (or kale) with garlic and sliced sun-dried tomato and keep them in the fridge. That way I always have some veggies to heat up with my eggs. Or, you could make extra of the veggies you have with dinner and reheat the next morning. You could also steam sautee a medley of veggies - purple cabbage, greens, various peppers, whatever you desire - and keep in the fridge. When reheating, add some coconut aminos or sunshine sauce and you have a tasty dish - just add your protein of choice. Also, sliced tomato and avocado is great with eggs.

I am a big fan of fritattas for breakfast (crustless quiche, casseroles) I like them because I get pleny of protien and a vegg or two in there. I like this one A LOT http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sausage-egg-breakfast-bites/#axzz23MlAfXdg This one is a good one for getting veggies in--I usually double this one, and bake in a 9x13 pan, cool and cut into squares.

Archived