A cure for food obsessions?addictions?

PaleoPlease

Does a Whole 30 cure food obsessions and addictions?  I think about food all the time.  I need to go appartment hunting for my parents this afternoon and all I could think about is what/where will I eat when I'm out?  And it is all unhealthy food that come to mind.  I tie in eating food opportunities with EVERYTHING! Even going to the hospital with someone or for myself.  It's crazy and I hate it!! I feel trapped and controlled by my desire to eat unhealthy food.  Always on my mind, even when I'm already eating.

Can the Whole 30 help?

Thanks

Hi,

In addition to trying the Whole30 plan, you could also look into the book/website The Diet Cure which recommends supplements and amino acids to stop food cravings and addictions. The advice in that book is fully compatible with the Whole30 plan as well (particularly since it recommends protein 3 times a day, cutting out sugar and sweeteners, and the like). I started taking some of the supplements about a year ago, and it made a big different to me in stopping food cravings. 

Switch over to eating healthy foods and your obsession becomes benign and beneficial. Your energy becomes directed to making you healthy, instead of focused on resisting things that make you unhealthy. So, yes, Whole30 can help.

• Moderators

The Whole30 can help. It helps many people. But you can continue to be food obsessed while doing a Whole30... worrying if the quality of your food is good enough, worrying if you are composing your meals properly, worrying if you are getting the portion sizes right, debating whether you are hungry enough to eat now or whether you can wait until your normal meal time... And then there is always eating out where you can worry about what oils the kitchen used to cook, whether there is sugar in the dressings or dairy in the sauces, if what the waiter told you about ingredients is actually true... 

Doing a Whole30 is generally a positive experience that empowers people to improve their lives in lots of ways, but changing what you eat can't fix everything. 

I guess I sound cynical, so let me conclude... you are likely to be in a better place after doing a Whole30 than you were before, so try it. 

I found that the thinking about food all the time in the first days or 2 or 3 weeks - is because (as it says in their "it starts with food" book) food is tied to emotions for many of us - so at least for me - more of my eating was tied to emotional connection to some pleasure received while eating the food.  (favorite people, time to talk and eat, etc) whatever is being comforted by the eating?  I had to work more on breaking my emotional ties to food that even food itself.  Now I don't even eat before bed - and if I do - I might grab some nuts or an herb tea.  (I use to eat late at night and it was tied to comfort to enjoy while watching tv).  Now I don't have to do that - if I want to some time I can - but I usually don't and Whole30 does change your life!! - I have some of the Paleo cook books for recipes - but the elimination diet of Whole30 pinned down some food sensitivities I had that I was being medicated for with wrong diagnosis.  It works well with the Paleo diet - but definitely am a whole30 gal here!!

I haven't made special recipes or creative ingredients.  I'm down to the bare bones and basics.   No mayo or sauces.

I'm content.  Day 31's are coming around the corner.  The rest of my life will be Day 31.

I don't think about food preps.   If I told my husband about every morsel and mouthful he would scream, so I haven't.   He's continued to eat his standard fare...whatever he wants.  We've been out, it wasn't a problem.    I watched him have homemade chips and salsa, enchiladas...the works.   I looked at that doughy flour tortilla and it reminded me of a dishcloth for cleaning the table.   

Archived