Hey everyone! On day 31 I reintroduced dairy.. I had a little butter in my sweet potato, some cucumbers and sour cream and later in the day some ice cream. After the butter and sour cream I really didn't feel any different. However, a couple hours after eating the ice cream my eyes got watery and itchy as well as my throat. This morning it was still itchy. I heard today at work that ice cream could have gluten in it! Do you think that my reaction could have been due to the dairy or the gluten? Plan on only eating only whole30 compliant foods for the next two days and then try dairy again, this time no ice cream! Just curious what everyone's opinions are! B

Having sinus/scratchy throat is pretty common for dairy reactions.  I suggest to eat a clean whole 30 until you feel well again - if that is a couple of days or more, so be it.  Maybe re-intro another item first before trying the dairy again.

That's what I'm planning.... I read that it is a common reaction to dairy, just found it odd I didn't have it sooner after eating the sour cream and butter earlier in the day. I'm just really curious to see how I am going to respond to gluten since I had a positive gliadin blood test... My biopsy for celiac came back negative however it did show chronic inflammation... So I'm wondering if they just missed it since they only took one sample for biopsy...

Some people only react to certain forms of dairy. Butter is pretty safe for most people who are not strongly dairy sensitive because it is mostly concentrated dairy fat. Sour cream is cultured which can make things easier as well. It may also be that your reaction was delayed (why we say to go clean for 2 days between reintroductions). Do you have the ingredient list for the ice cream you ate?

Archived