my energy is down -- still.

amygretchen

I am on my third week and my energy is still low and I find that I am hungry a lot. At first I assumed it was because my body was weaning off all the bad stuff, but it can't be that still, right? I feel like I'm eating the recommended portions, a good portion of meat, lots of veggies, with some fat, but am so hungry after a couple hours. Also I run a few times a week, just for exercise I am not training for anything, but I've hardly had any energy to run. I definitely expected that at first, but not now. 

I'm disappointed because the only reason I'm trying whole 30 is for more energy. I have been so tired and sluggish for many years and western medicine can't seem to give me a solution -- my chemistry is good. Unfortunately the, "I have so much energy eating whole 30" is not working for me. Can you help me figure this out?

Any suggestions? I'd like to keep going, but I also know it's not good to deprive my body. Should I eat more?

If you are hungry a lot, my hunch is you're not eating enough.

To confirm, it would help to get an idea of some specific details. Can you post 2-3 days worth of your food log, along with daily water intake, and nightly hours of sleep?

I get an average of about 7 hours a sleep each night and exercise each morning.

breakfast: sweet potato hash with 2 fried eggs on top, and avocados

omelet with spinach, tomatoes, onions, zucchini, and or peppers 

hard boiled eggs, salsa, avocado, turkey bacon

lunch: chicken salad. spinach, butter lettuce with lots of veggies, (broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, peppers-- whatever in the fridge), avocado, olive oil & lemon dressing

chicken salad with homemade mayo, grapes, nuts, onions, celery on top of spinach or butter lettuce. side of veggies like broccoli.

dinner: hamburger meat with compliant marinara sauce over sweet potatoes, plus salad

grilled steak or chicken with a sweet potato chips (homemade roasted in oven with olive oil), a veggie side

for a snack i will either have some cashews/almonds or an apple with a bit of almond butter.

thanks for you reply!

Ok, you may need to up the water. Aim for a minimum of 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of your current body weight, daily.

See if you can get at least 8 hours of sleep in.

Your meals look good, but the fact that you're needing snacks lead me to believe they need to be bigger. You want to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours. Play with your protein, veg and fat portions until you get to this point.

In the meantime, if you're still hungry between meals, have a mini meal that includes at least a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Also another thought here - how close are you to your period?  The week before my period I become a walking stomach.  I find I need to up my portions, and especially up the amount of starchy veg.  I go back to normal after day 2 of my period. 

So this potentially could be contibuting as well.

• Moderators

We find that many people think they are eating according to meal template guidelines when they are really eating a lot less.

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Easy mistakes to make include:

1. Not eating enough eggs when eggs are the protein for a meal. The standard is as many as you can hold in one hand and that is almost always 3-4, not one or two. 

2. Never eating more than a palm-size portion of meat even when the standard encourages eating as many as two palm-size portions when hungry.

3. Eating only very lean cuts of meat and failing to get enough fat.

4. Not eating enough veggies at meals because the volume of salad is assumed to be adequate when it is not. To explain, raw salad has very little volume after being chewed, so even though a salad looks big, it might not amount to much of anything after being swallowed.

5. Not appreciating that when we say fill the plate with veggies, we mean fill it completely. Arranging veggies on a plate for coverage is not the same as filling a plate with cooked veggies. 

If you are hungry more than a few minutes before meals, you are not eating enough and need to ramp it up. When you do not eat enough, your body conserves energy by holding onto fat stores tightly and making activity unpleasant (in other words, makes you feel tired). 

All of THIS.  especially number 5. i'm starving every 5 hours and if I didn't cover my plate and i mean cover! with yummy veggies along with enough fat and protein. i would have bombed on this challenge.

2. Never eating more than a palm-size portion of meat even when the standard encourages eating as many as two palm-size portions when hungry.

3. Eating only very lean cuts of meat and failing to get enough fat.

4. Not eating enough veggies at meals because the volume of salad is assumed to be adequate when it is not. To explain, raw salad has very little volume after being chewed, so even though a salad looks big, it might not amount to much of anything after being swallowed.

5. Not appreciating that when we say fill the plate with veggies, we mean fill it completely. Arranging veggies on a plate for coverage is not the same as filling a plate with cooked veggies. 

If you are hungry more than a few minutes before meals, you are not eating enough and need to ramp it up. When you do not eat enough, your body conserves energy by holding onto fat stores tightly and making activity unpleasant (in other words, makes you feel tired). 

• Moderators

I'm not a big person, and I routinely felt like I was eating way too much at meals. But I found if I didn't eat a truly full plate of veggies, some starchy veggies and adequate protein, I would get hungry before the next meal. If you are working out, you will need more than you think.

Archived