July 1 Support Thread

lifeography

Greetings!  I'm starting my first whole 30 today!  Feeling strong and committed, and looking forward to finding friends and support here.  I'm basicially a bouncing ball of inflamation and food addictions, and know that taking sugar and grains out of my diet makes me feel better.  Today I embrace this knowledge and choose to move forward to a healthier, happier me!

Cheers!

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 2! Sitting here reading through the posts at work eating sweet potato, egg and homemade mayonnaise :) Yum!

I've also got a big batch of beef casserole in the fridge at work that I'll be having for lunch each day so I'm not tempted to go out and get something. The hardest thing is not having a cup of tea with milk in it, black tea is just not right! And it is freezing here today, only 5 degrees so this bottle of water is not my friend right now....

Could be worse though! :) Hope everyone else is feeling good on day 2. xx

I love your confidence!

I struggled yesterday feeling overwhelmed with the possibilities, until I remembered I don't have to cook something new and complicated everyday! Chicken and veggies cooked in coconut oil is a perfectly acceptable meal. My SO usually cooks breakfast, we forage leftovers or have a simple lunch, and I cook dinner with enough leftover for at least one meal. I usually try something new or do a complicated meal once a week or so. I'm going to continue that. 

Did anyone else get overwhelmed with meal planning, only to realize they were over complicating it?

I did get overwhelmed but I am doing better.  I love the ingredients so that is cool but am not terribly creative.  Time...takes time.

Greetings!  I'm starting my first whole 30 today!  Feeling strong and committed, and looking forward to finding friends and support here.  I'm basicially a bouncing ball of inflamation and food addictions, and know that taking sugar and grains out of my diet makes me feel better.  Today I embrace this knowledge and choose to move forward to a healthier, happier me!

Cheers!

OK.  You have a friend over here.  I did a similar cleanse a while back and the change in arthritis was positive meaning less pain.  I did not lose a lot of weight but I loved my flatter tummy.  I also slept better.  Hope we all have success achieving our goals.

Cheers!

Day 2! Sitting here reading through the posts at work eating sweet potato, egg and homemade mayonnaise :) Yum!

I've also got a big batch of beef casserole in the fridge at work that I'll be having for lunch each day so I'm not tempted to go out and get something. The hardest thing is not having a cup of tea with milk in it, black tea is just not right! And it is freezing here today, only 5 degrees so this bottle of water is not my friend right now....

Could be worse though! :) Hope everyone else is feeling good on day 2. xx

Can't we have tea or coffee with coconut milk?  I really like it.

Meal planning template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Shopping list: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdf

Recipes: the world is your oyster. Simply create meals that fit the recommended template and that are compliant with the program rules

Possible recipe places to start:

- recipe sharing section of the forum http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/25-recipe-sharing/

- The Clothes Make the Girl website (author of Well Fed and Well Fed 2): http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/

- Nom Nom Paleo website http://nomnompaleo.com/

Thanks for this.  I will get there.

i'm going to log my meals just to keep track for a few days.

m1: 3 eggs, sauerkraut

Poworkout: egg whites

m2: 2palms protein, 2 heaping cups of roasted broccoli, avocado, 4 celery stalks and spoonful of coconut oil

m3: 2palms protein, 2 heaping cups of veggies, avocado, sweet potato, 2 celery stalks and coconut oil

Went bed shopping with my mom on the hottest day of summer so far (it's 32, feels like 35 where I am). Her and my sister got slushies to cool down, but I got an unsweetened iced green tea instead. Cooling down without the sugar  :)

Wow, there's a lot of us this month! Awesome!

I'm continuing my Whole30 from June into a Whole60/90. I've already got heaps more energy and my skin is clearing up, but I need longer to get my hormones sorted out. I'd like to lose some weight as well, but until my hormone levels get better I'm not worrying about it much. :)

Good luck everyone!

Day 1. I don't even know you people but I don't think I could be doing this without you. And it adds some excitement to think that we have an international support group going on (summer here, winter there; weather reports in Celsius and Fahrenheit -- btw it's 90 and humid where I live, ugh!). I'll give you my Day 1 menu -- not planning to track this carefully but I'm feeling triumphant -- one whole day without added sugar or tons of fruit!! M1: 2 eggs fried in coconut oil spray, spinach sautéed in coconut oil spray, one banana, green tea. M2: romaine salad with raw carrots, avocado, leftover baked chicken cut in chunks, bowl of chicken soup. Afternoon snack: one Brazil nut (for selenium), small peach, small bowl of gingery zucchini soup (Melissa Joulwan's recipe -- excellent!). M3: leftover baked chicken, big bowl zucchini soup, half of a small boiled sweet potato. Woohoo! Onward and upward, everyone!

Day 1. I don't even know you people but I don't think I could be doing this without you. And it adds some excitement to think that we have an international support group going on (summer here, winter there; weather reports in Celsius and Fahrenheit -- btw it's 90 and humid where I live, ugh!). I'll give you my Day 1 menu -- not planning to track this carefully but I'm feeling triumphant -- one whole day without added sugar or tons of fruit!! M1: 2 eggs fried in coconut oil spray, spinach sautéed in coconut oil spray, one banana, green tea. M2: romaine salad with raw carrots, avocado, leftover baked chicken cut in chunks, bowl of chicken soup. Afternoon snack: one Brazil nut (for selenium), small peach, small bowl of gingery zucchini soup (Melissa Joulwan's recipe -- excellent!). M3: leftover baked chicken, big bowl zucchini soup, half of a small boiled sweet potato. Woohoo! Onward and upward, everyone!

Welcome!

A couple points to make sure you get the best results:

- double check the ingredients on the coconut oil spray. Many contain soy lecithin.

- the need for a snack can indicate that your earlier meals need to be bigger. Play with your protein, fat and veg portions at your meals until they satiate you for 4-5 hours.

- if you are geniunely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal that includes a protein and fat.

Great pointers. Thank you so much. Btw you were right: the coconut oil spray (from before I gave up soy) does indeed contain soy lecithin. I guess it's back to my Nutiva organic extra virgin coconut oil! I will also play with my protein and fat content as you advised. I felt like I totally stuffed myself at lunch (too heavy on the romaine) but it didn't stick with me for long. I also have a tendency to eat half my dinner when my kids are eating (the 4:30 afternoon snack) and the other half at 7:30 or 8pm. Gotta stop that or re-distribute the protein and fat more appropriately. Thanks again.

Cactuscat, what do you mean "get your hormones sorted out"?

I have irregular, heavy periods with really bad cramps. My doctor is hoping that extending my whole30 to 60 or even 90 days will help. I suspect I'll need to try autoimmune paleo but I'm in denial because I don't want to give up eggs!

Good morning, all! I'm Julie. I have been trying so many different nutrition "plans" in the past few months my brain is honestly overwhelmed and I'm definitely feeling defeated. The worst part is I offer a "do as I say, not as I do" mentality everyday to those around me as I am a personal trainer and boot camp instructor (!!). I coach my clients on healthy eating habits and their importance, but am a self-proclaimed sugar junkie addicted to sweets. I possess the knowledge, just not the willpower.

I am married and have a 3 yr old and soon to be 2 yr old, and 2 German Shepherd dogs. It's a full house. I recently took a very strong interest in and began completing OCRs (obstacle course races), with 3 races on the calendar and a goal to complete the Spartan Trifecta next year. I am an avid Crossfitter and push myself HARD in my workouts, and am starting to really focus on heavy weightlifting. All of these things combined have forced me to REALLY take a look at how I am fueling my body. If I could put as much passion into my nutrition as I put into my workouts, it would be a game changer. I KNOW that, now I just have to act on it. 

I AM ready, I AM able, and I AM committed. Looking forward to this journey.

Two German Shepherds!! You lucky thing! They're my favourite breed. :D

Good luck for your Whole30!

Evening all.  I started my second whole 30 today.  I wont go into my whole story at this point, but i know that I feel really good on this food plan.  I fell off of the plan last fall at the end of my first whole 30 due to boredom with what I was eating.  5 or 6 recipes over and over.  Same breakfast and lunch every day.  I need to change that up.  I will be looking for some new recipe ideas.  I did not lose any weight on the last round.  I just wasn't doing a good job at self regulating my food.  I have a ton of arthritis, but not auto immune. 

My husband follows along with me.  I am sure he eats other things at work, but is happy with what we eat here.  We were both talking about missing some of our favorite recipes. 

Today was great.  I feel good about what I ate.  I made The Clothes Make the Girl's Paleo Pad Thai.  LOVE THIS!  Enough for four meals.  Ground turkey on a salad with home made mayo, and salsa for lunch with 1/2 small avocado, and a small palm of macadamia nuts.  Breakfast was a bit of grated sweet potato "hash browns", one apple chicken sausage, and one egg.  Now ending my night with hot tea.  I did have coconut cream in my coffee this morning. 

I am hoping to have a bit more time to prep food tomorrow.  I really like a small bit of salad with my egg. 

Sunday I was able to make mayo, ghee, and salad dressing.  Sadly i ran out of coconut aminos.  Not sure what I will do without it.  I found a recipe, but it has molasses.  Maybe a date instead.  I will think on it.  I have some homemade ketchup, and sriracha. 

Hey can I join?  I am 45, a mom of 4 kids. Ages 26 to 14 years. And a grandma of a fabulous granddaughter.  My husband is also very supportive but chooses not to follow along. I cook all the meals, so what he doesn't know won't hurt him ;] I'm on day six so I don't quite belong to June groups. This is my first W30. I read the book "It starts with Food" and started the next day. I have a wheat allergy and a deformed pancreas I was born with and found out the hard way I need to be very careful what I eat, and I'm excited about finding out exactly what my body doesn't like with this program.

As I research all the things we can't have, I'm thoroughly grossed out about all the preservatives and yuck there is in our foods. I don't know that I will go back to eating that way ever. I'm happy to find like minds to help me through this journey!

I'm in!  I started July 1 also.  I'm Kelly, a stay at home mum to a 3year old girl and 18 month old boy.  I need to drop some kilos, get some energy back and find my mojo!  Eating healthy is, I believe, going to be key to this.  So I'm in!

Nice - glad to be here.  Today was my day 1 of my re-start.  I had a fail in June about halfway but was compliant after that.  Today was my day 1 of counting for July.

(Oops, editing to reflect that I actually started July 6.)

July 1st is day one! I thought I did great today, planned out my meals & even made homemade (unsweetened) almond milk for my coffee. My two kids, who are 2 & 4, even ate the same meals as me today & didn't bat an eye. But now I can't sleep from a headache (probably from crappy food withdrawal). Now snacking on some walnuts to see if that helps. Looking forward to kicking the sugar & carb addiction! Good luck everyone!!

Hi there!

I have done two whole30s and in desperate need to get back to it. Family is not paleo but we have made some headway the past couple of years. I am typically all or nothing and end up eating something off plan that leads to something else and so forth. Gain the weight I work so hard to lose, feel tired, bloated etc. I know I need this to feel great agin, just so hard to pull myself together to be in control for more than a meal or one day! At the moment, we are remodeling our kitchen and parents coming to visit today. Not an ideal time but I really want to try to get my strength back! It's been convenience lately bc no kitchen lol. But I know I can do better!!!

Good luck to everyone and I look forward to all the benefits, yeah!!!

Nice - glad to be here.  Today was my day 1 of my re-start.  I had a fail in June about halfway but was compliant after that.  Today was my day 1 of counting for July.

I did a spring cleanse that was even more difficult...no eggs, no coffee, no ghee, no vinegar etc.  This seems like it is better.  I just struggle with preparing menus that vary.  Anyway, if you want a support person you can email me personally at [email protected].  My name is Amy Tremper.  

YAY, I'm so excited this thread is here! This is exactly what I was looking for this time around. I've completed several Whole 14's and want to make this one a Whole 30 plus. I have 2 girls and a husband who just had shoulder surgery. So why not add in a Whole 30 challenge :)  It's now or never! I believe I'm on the brink of Type 2 diabetes and want to kick this possibility out of the window by changing my habits and taking care of this one body I was given! I am super pumped and hope we can all keep each other accountable and enthusiastic!  Good luck everyone :)

Archived