July 1 Support Thread

lifeography

I survived my first graveyard shift without being tempted.  I bought a big platter of mixed raw veggies to snack on while at work.  It came with ranch dressing but I bought compliant guacamole to dip instead.

I also made Well Fed's pad thai last night for dinner.  During my first whole30 when I reached a point where I was desperate for the mouth feel of something other than a chunk of meat, I made that and it was delicious.  Talk about feeling full.  There is nothing better than feeling full knowing all you are full of is healthy vegetables.

I'm working eight overnight in a row.  I do get to sleep in the on-call room, but it is still just the "being stuck at work" for so many days in a row that makes cheating really tempting.  I'm not going to do it, though.  I just have to be prepared.

My husband is also keeping the kids paleo compliant, so basically when I get home from my graveyard shift, I have to make summer school lunches, dinner for myself to bring to work, and dinner for my husband and kids.

The "no complaining" challenge is going well, too.  Some guy cut me off while driving today and then proceeded to drive really, really slow.  Really annoying but I took it calmly without even complaining in my head.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anipi,

Not sure if this is your first whole30 but the mods usually advise not to do pancakes and food like that (SWYPO type of food). DrTracy has done a whole30 before...

Something to think about...

they are for my other half

Anipi,

Not sure if this is your first whole30 but the mods usually advise not to do pancakes and food like that (SWYPO type of food). DrTracy has done a whole30 before...

Something to think about...

they are for my other half

Does anyone know if you have a day off the whole30 (ie have to restart) when you restart do you get exactly the same emails again and do you still only get 30 days and hence miss the last 10 days say? I am thinking about taking a planned day off 

Does anyone know if you have a day off the whole30 (ie have to restart) when you restart do you get exactly the same emails again and do you still only get 30 days and hence miss the last 10 days say? I am thinking about taking a planned day off 

I'm joining as well, starting today - at lunch today actually.  I'm a marathon runner and an athlete, but i could definitely slim down.  I have some hormonal issues- hypothyroidism and serious cramps/period problems that I hope would improve.  My BMI is about 19.8 right now but as a competitive runner I could definitely lose a few (note, competitive runner, not just a normally healthy person.

So happy with tonight's dinner! I knew we would be out of the house from 4 - 7 pm ... and I knew I wouldn't feel like cooking when I got home. So I browned some ground meat this afternoon and threw it in the crockpot with diced tomatoes, bell peppers, onion and taco seasoning.  It cooked on low for a few hours and the flavors blended beautifully. We used romaine lettuce leaves as our "shells" and topped the meat with red cabbage, avocado, fresh tomato and salsa. Delicious! We will definitely do this again. I can see this being a great option when the school year starts and we have after school activities to deal with.

I survived today.  Bone broth, fried egg and sautéed kale/spinach for M1.  M2 paleo pad thai.  M3 veggie tray with guac at work, paleo pad thai.  Raspberries were my fruit today.

Taking this one day at a time.  Last month I strayed at day 10.  The moderators said that is the most common time the people stray.  It is not going to happen this time.

Meanwhile my kids' behavior continues to be wonderful.

The mailings start over at day 1 - basically a fresh start to the end.

thanks, in that case I think I will not have a day off, specially after your next post. I am eating at a friends house so will just have to push my food around. :) I have survived 4 group meals out already and had no problem sticking with my goals so no reason wny I can't continue. I find it harder when someone has gone to the effort to cook, but hopefully it will be something kosher. 

Good morning! Starting Day 8! This is already a mini-victory because my last failed attempt at a second W30 ended on day 7... progress!

Had my first night of strange dreams (one food related, one not food related) - weird dreams didn't begin for me until day 11 on my 1st W30, and I didn't have my first food dream until day 24, so this is new. In my food dream, my husband offered me a slice of pizza and I ate it without thinking twice! And then I remembered and was so mad at myself - relieved to wake up this morning and realize I'm still on track :)

Hey all... Doing well here.  I made fish, sweet potato and salad last night (leftovers today for lunch) but boy did my fish ever smell up the house (like never before). 

Steak and the last of the sweet potato tonights (plus a salad).  I am feeling well and I have set a goal to lose 40 lbs by Christmas.  I have lost (when focused) at a 10 lbs/month rate before so I hope that 40 Lbs in 6 months is doable.  I was down close to that before and managed to gain most of it back. 

Well there you go.  I have put the uber goal out there for all to see.  I don't know how long I will do the W30 Protocol this time but at least for July and then we will see where we are at!

Cheers

DJ

thanks, in that case I think I will not have a day off, specially after your next post. I am eating at a friends house so will just have to push my food around. :) I have survived 4 group meals out already and had no problem sticking with my goals so no reason wny I can't continue. I find it harder when someone has gone to the effort to cook, but hopefully it will be something kosher. 

Speaking of "kosher", don't you find it interesting that we would have no problem enforcing a cultural dietary restriction, even if someone else cooks, but yet we feel "bad" refusing someone's food so we can stay compliant?

I don't explain myself when I ask people to respect dietary restrictions on my kids.  I tell them my kids are on a strict elimination diet for food allergies.  People have no trouble complying to my request and are not insulted.

Speaking of "kosher", don't you find it interesting that we would have no problem enforcing a cultural dietary restriction, even if someone else cooks, but yet we feel "bad" refusing someone's food so we can stay compliant?

I don't explain myself when I ask people to respect dietary restrictions on my kids.  I tell them my kids are on a strict elimination diet for food allergies.  People have no trouble complying to my request and are not insulted.

Good job, DJ - your goal is absolutely do-able!  Mine is to lose the 20 lbs that I gained back after I had lost it during my January Whole30.  And keep it off this time!

Let's all hang in there.  This is the time last month that I fell off the wagon.  We can get past the big 10!!!!!

Day 10! So exciting to be in double digits.

I'm on day 4 of having the same breakfast but I'm still enjoying it. Lunches have been changed up a fair bit and each dinner has been different as well which is what is keeping me sane.

I'm finding that the whole organisation aspect of the Whole30 has been translating into other areas of my life as well. Yesterday I had another 4:30am gym session, came home and got ready for work and had time to wash up and clean the kitchen and pack my lunch before walking to work. A full day at work until 3:30pm, walked home, vacuumed and put on washing, prepped sweet potatoes to make sweet potato fries, tutored students for 2 hours (ducking out halfway through a session to put the oven on for the fries), then when my husband came home cooked chicken in ghee and had them with the fries and a homemade garlic aioli then took the dog for a walk, had a shower and went to bed......and that was all in one day!

I'm loving the energy I'm having and I love ticking things off my to do list so this feeling is amazing. I'm hoping it keeps up!

Sending out good luck to everyone to get over the 10 day hump :) xx

Hello Whole30 friends!

Day 9 for me and I am really enjoying the Whole30!  I am still adjusting to 3 large meals a day but I must say, they fill me up and I don't spend so much time on the prowl for snacks and my sugar cravings are diminishing!  That is a relief!

Here is something tricky...a co-worker (whom I respect and want to please) invited me to lunch today where I am nearly certain the eggs (we had breakfast) were cooked in either canola or soybean oil.  I had the eggs fried.  The practical part of me wants to simply accept this and move on Whole30 (which I will!) but the doubtful part of me wonders if I did not stay compliant today.

One reason I wanted to do the Whole30 was to reset my habits and break free from the all-or-nothing, throw in the towel approach to paleo.  I should just move on and stay Whole30, right?!?!  Sounds silly to even ask at this point, of course I should!

Best wishes to everyone!  WE WILL DO THIS!

My meals today were a mishmash of leftovers.

I had onion gravy left over from nomnompaleo's slow cooker chicken.   I also had nomnompaleo bacon burgers that I had premade.  Put those together and you have a delicious salisbury steak.  I ate that with mashed roasted parsnips from my last cookup, and steamed some french green beans with it.  That was M1.

M2 was left over well fed pad thai.

M3 will be the last of the salisbury steak combo.  I have thawed some ground beef so I can make more of those burgers as sliders to keep frozen for quick meals.

Fruit was raspberries again.

Work snack will consist of celery, carrots and tomatoes dipped in compliant guacamole.  I have found that having that next to me keeps me from wandering into the  employee lounge at 2 a.m. when I am bored on my graveyard shift.

I've made it to day 9! This is the first day since about day 3 that I haven't been up and going at 5 am, I think it was allergy related though because I've been food compliant. I helped the family pick our sweet corn (even though I can have none) and I think the pollen was getting me. Yesterday and Monday I was up running 3 miles at 5 am, doing dance cardio and piyo! Love the energy!

Incorporating the dehydrator tonight trying to make crunchy veggie chips as my oven isn't cutting it on those,.....

Made stuffed bell peppers for dinner tonight (stuffing made of ground beef, veggies and spices).  Yummy ... but it took way too long to make and I made way too much of a mess stuffing the peppers (stuff kept falling off the sides and ending up in the dish or on the counter or on the floor). Plus I had extra stuffing with no pepper to match it with. I think I will re-invent this as a bell pepper casserole next time to make my life simpler. Now to decide if it has to be made in the oven or if I can do one better and re-invent it as a crockpot meal.

I've made it to day 9! This is the first day since about day 3 that I haven't been up and going at 5 am, I think it was allergy related though because I've been food compliant. I helped the family pick our sweet corn (even though I can have none) and I think the pollen was getting me. Yesterday and Monday I was up running 3 miles at 5 am, doing dance cardio and piyo! Love the energy!

Incorporating the dehydrator tonight trying to make crunchy veggie chips as my oven isn't cutting it on those,.....

I would like to hear how the veggie chips in the food dehydrator turned out.  Sounds really good.  I am missing crunchy. 

Hello Whole30 friends!

Day 9 for me and I am really enjoying the Whole30!  I am still adjusting to 3 large meals a day but I must say, they fill me up and I don't spend so much time on the prowl for snacks and my sugar cravings are diminishing!  That is a relief!

Here is something tricky...a co-worker (whom I respect and want to please) invited me to lunch today where I am nearly certain the eggs (we had breakfast) were cooked in either canola or soybean oil.  I had the eggs fried.  The practical part of me wants to simply accept this and move on Whole30 (which I will!) but the doubtful part of me wonders if I did not stay compliant today.

One reason I wanted to do the Whole30 was to reset my habits and break free from the all-or-nothing, throw in the towel approach to paleo.  I should just move on and stay Whole30, right?!?!  Sounds silly to even ask at this point, of course I should!

Best wishes to everyone!  WE WILL DO THIS!

I feel that you are exactly right.  Move forward.  Stay whole 30.  Just my opinion.

Day nine is complete.  I feel well.  I am coming down to the end of the food I have prepared for the week.  No ideas what to cook coming up.  It may be a case of grilling some ground beef burgers and saute some kale.  Trying to read back for ideas.  The NomNomPaleo burgers sound good.  I will have to check her site for the recipe.  Compliant bacon is tough to find. 

Day 9 for me.  Noticed differences so far:  pants are WAY loose, night-time congestion is gone, sleeping very well, and (oddly) the whites of my eyes seem whiter.

Corner1195 -- yes, me too.  Last weekend we made a pot of Well Fed's Chocolate Chili, grilled a huge salmon, and slow-roasted an eight pound pork shoulder.  I expected this would last us until the coming weekend, but I seem to have underestimated the amount my husband can consume per meal.  Live and learn, right?

If anyone is in Northern California, check your Safeway advertisement -- our will have Grass Fed ground beef, one pound packages, for $4.99 a pound.

Lesson today... Enjoy the decadence...

Let me explain.  Last night was Steak, Sweet Potato and a big salad.  So... Like so many of you, I make double.  I took steak and salad to work today.  I am now in a new (much smaller office) in a different city and my co-workers really don't know me or my eating habits.  Looking around today, they all have leftover pizza, something crammed into a bun and something I don't even know.  I am proudly sitting here eating my steak and salad (with an apple) for lunch and feeling special/lucky.  So many times when focusing on eating healthy, we feel deprived, like an inconvenience or apologetic for "how we eat".  Not today.  I would not change my lunch for anyone else's lunch in the office.

9 Days on W30 - 4 days back to regular daily (structured) exercise and feeling pretty darn good!!!

Regards

DJ

Archived