July 1 Support Thread

lifeography

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday when I picked my kids up from summer school, the teachers came and told me how delicious my kids' lunches look and that everyone was drooling over them!  Yay!

This month is going well.  Last night, unfortunately, someone had thrown away the remainder of my veggie pack that I had left for myself to snack on.  (I say threw away - maybe someone actually ate them, but I don't think so - the table was covered with a gigantic pizza box and several partially eaten bags of french fries.)  So I didn't have my healthy noshing last night but survived the night anyway.

This morning I get sweet potato hash and fried eggs for M1.

I would like to hear how the veggie chips in the food dehydrator turned out.  Sounds really good.  I am missing crunchy. 

They turned out pretty good, they really needed a bit longer though, I was expecting around 5 hours and I didn't get them going until around 6 pm last night and after setting my alarm twice to get up and check on them after my normal bedtime, at 12:30 I just called them good and bagged them!  They are more of the consistency I'm looking for than what the oven was giving me but I'm going to try again and get them going in the am and see if I can get them even crunchier.

Day 10 coming to a close! Some big victories the last two days -

- Went out to dinner with my husband and passed all of the appetizers, beer, dessert! Remained compliant for dinner!

- RX'd my first class at crossfit (ok, it was an easier WOD and I think everyone did - but still!)

Tonight, I am passing up attending a bbq - it was a bbq (that we hosted) that undid my last 2nd attempt at a whole 30 and i just don't think i'm ready for it yet. I know I won't always avoid bbq's, but I felt it was in my best interest. My husband was disappointed in me. Has anybody else felt the need to pass up social gatherings until they get some "strength" behind them?

I'm still here too, on Day 10.  :)  Feeling good and strong so far!

Has anybody else felt the need to pass up social gatherings until they get some "strength" behind them?

Yes!  I passed up lunch with a bunch of co-workers at a sushi restaurant because I didn't think I could resist all the rice/soy sauce temptation.  A similar issue came up on a planned dinner with friends a few nights ago, and I managed that by asking if we could go to a restaurant where it would be easier to stay compliant. 

But a barbeque?  I think you made the right choice.  I'm sorry your husband was disappointed, but especially considering your history with W90/BBQs, I hope he at least understood.  :)

Weekend ahoy!  Planning a BUNCH of large volume compliant cooking this weekend, oh yes we are.

the difficult thing about whole30 for me is some days are so easy, I can even eat out with friends then suddenly I doubt why I am doing this and it becomes really hard. Now at day 12 and the easy days are beginning to be more frequent but I am not going to get complacent.

Great!

Wow, I've never had the entire forum of people disappear before!

I am sorry you are missing people, but I have been here since day -1. 

Did you do a whole30 in Sept?  I think we were on the same forum them as well.

I had been feeling really well, good energy, not hungry, not craving.  Then two days ago I was hit by a horrible sudden return to depression thoughts and feelings.  The only thing it hasn't effected is my eating.  I am fatigued all the time, and very sore.  It is either some change in my body from whole 30, or it is stress.  I think stress. 

I need to cook a lot this weekend to be ready for another long week. 

Headed to a workout this morning, then I have a one year old birthday party from 2-6, and a 60 year birthday party from 2-7.  We will do one year old grandson until 4ish, then move to the 60 year old.  Both will have lots of food around.  I am going to pack a cooler with mayo/salsa, and veggie sticks, water bottles, and some soda water and lime slices.  I am thinking to bring some grapes.  I find fruit to be super sweet right now, so if cake is bothering me, I will have just a few grapes.

On a side note, my husband is very supportive.  He puts up with a lot from me.  He likes all the meals, etc.  The one year old is his youngest grandson.  I work a late shift, and study in the mornings, so I sent him out yesterday to shop for birthday presents.  He did well for the 60 year old, but drew a total loss for the one year old.  I had picked up 3 pants, and 2 shirts at a consignment store, and wanted a large truck, gift bag, card.  Swear to you know who, he bought the poor kid a extra large size tennis ball from the feed store.  It's a dog toy!  Seriously??????  I couldn't help but laugh until I realized that I now have to go to the store and buy a gift.  Sneaky turkey. 

Good morning day 11! Had another first at crossfit this morning (could actually do wall walks)! Gonna go celebrate with a mani/pedi. I like giving myself things to look forward to on the weekend (now that going out to restaurants is one less thing I do these days).

Random question - anybody have any favorite recipes they like to use with dried figs? I bought a bag at Costco yesterday and tried one - decided I didn't like them too much on their own, but I'll be cooking up some things with them. I'll be making this stew later this week, but looking for other suggestions: http://www.madeinnature.com/recipe/squash-and-fig-stew/

I'm on Day 12, and the food part is definitely getting easier. I'm still not sleeping enough, so I'm committed to trying to make that work this week. I need to just set a bedtime, take some magnesium, and turn off everything. I always say "I can't sleep" but a lot of the time, I'm not even trying. It's now my time of the month which makes me even sleepier...

I'm about to go to the store to get a few things to make a bunch of yummy side dishes for the week. I'll do a couple proteins and I should have enough to get me through to next weekend...if I can just wake up!

This morning I worked at my farm co-op for three hours and brought home two whole chickens, some chicken liver, eggs and sausage. The sausage isn't compliant, but when whole30 is done and I'm easing back into paleo, I'll allow myself the treat once in a while (plus this sausage is so fresh I don't even feel that badly about the added sugar). Have a great day all!

The forum seems very quiet now compared to a few days ago! I am still going strong. I have just completed day 12 of my whole30 but now nearly a year without grains 99% of the time and dairy 80% of the time. Not noticed much difference during the last few days except the odd craving, which seems to have more or less gone for the moment. The hardest things has been to avoid the scales as I am really keen to lose weight. Even that is getting easier. Missing the odd glass of wine as well, but sparkling water is more refreshing. 

Hi - yes, September 2013 was my first whole30.  It changed my life!  I also completed a whole30 in January.  And now July I am going strong.  I faltered between Jan and July so am hoping to lose the same 20 lbs to get myself back down to my goal weight. 

My no complaining month had a small falter today.  I came home from my graveyard shift to find that my husband had fed my kids McDonald's chicken nuggets last night.  Only four days home from vacation after I showed him little angels and he sabotages my attempts.

So, no complaining starts again tomorrow.  I hear myself and don't like it.  But I was really disappointed.  And my kids were hyper.

Good morning day 11! Had another first at crossfit this morning (could actually do wall walks)! Gonna go celebrate with a mani/pedi. I like giving myself things to look forward to on the weekend (now that going out to restaurants is one less thing I do these days).

Random question - anybody have any favorite recipes they like to use with dried figs? I bought a bag at Costco yesterday and tried one - decided I didn't like them too much on their own, but I'll be cooking up some things with them. I'll be making this stew later this week, but looking for other suggestions: http://www.madeinnature.com/recipe/squash-and-fig-stew/

Civilized caveman sweet potato pasta with figs, prosciutto, and almonds.  EXCELLENT

Well....we made it to day 13! However.... I'm at a family reunion and went to dinner last night, ordered grilled salmon, butternut squash, and for breakfast-scrambled eggs, bacon and fruit. I ordered well but can't help thinking I've ruined the Whole30 because of not knowing what they cooked everything in, and that the meat isn't fresh or cooked in bad oil.

Can I just be ok with what I ordered (the best of bad choices), .....or am I doomed????

Last night's dinner was delicious! We cooked a flank steak in the crock pot - 3 lbs worth. After searing it in the pan & moving it to the crockpot I added onions, garlic, broth, a splash of vinegar, salt, pepper and some chili seasoning to the pan. Once the onions were browned I poured the whole thing over the meat & cooked for 7 hours. I plan to use the leftovers on salads or in lettuce wraps.

Tonight we cooked some shrimp for dinner. But the best find was campari tomatoes. I hollowed out the inside (which I used as a sauce for the shrimp) and filled the tomatoes with salad. Great new way to eat my salad ... since I don't want to get bored with salad every day.

Spent time this afternoon prepping for the week. I lead a very on the go lifestyle, so grab and go is a necessity. I found snack size ziplocs at Walmart that have measurements on the side (1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, etc). I prepped 40 bags today (nut/coconut mix, grapes, cherry tomatoes, sweet mini peppers, blueberries, turkey, carrots, etc). Ready for the week!

Well....we made it to day 13! However.... I'm at a family reunion and went to dinner last night, ordered grilled salmon, butternut squash, and for breakfast-scrambled eggs, bacon and fruit. I ordered well but can't help thinking I've ruined the Whole30 because of not knowing what they cooked everything in, and that the meat isn't fresh or cooked in bad oil.

Can I just be ok with what I ordered (the best of bad choices), .....or am I doomed????

Lulubelle - I think if you were mindful, you are ok. 

Lulubelle - I think if you were mindful, you are ok.

I agree with Lulubelle, I eat out 2 or 3 times a week. i do the best I can and ask as many questions as possible sometimes the food still comes with something I dont wish to eat on the plate, When this happens I have learnt that it is best to remove it immediately otherwise as I wat I am tempted to eat the offending item as well. This is one way the US is light years ahead, if you ask for no potaotoes say the meal will not come with french fries!

Starting on Day 11 here (July 4 start). Still going strong. Made it through a long day trip on Saturday. We took 1.5 drive north to go a Fairyland Festival. My four year old daughter loved it! Anyway, it was in this touristy lake side town with lots of temptations. I packed a lunch for us. Salad with scallops from the night before for me and sandwiches for the rest of the family. While my husband and the kids had ice cream, I ordered an unsweetened ice tea. With the lemon, I actually found it refreshing. While I would have loved some ice cream, I felt good about my choices instead of regretting it later which I used to do. We got home around 6. I quickly browned up some grass fed ground beef and made a taco salad.

I am still scrambling a bit with menu planning. I am finding as long as stock my fridge, I am okay but I would like to be able to have more prepared foods on hand.

Hey all

Day 13 for me today.  I am doing well and feeling pretty good.  Made a big mistake last night though and had a tea (Earl Grey) before bed.  It was really good (not  a regular tea drinker) but the caffeine in tea must be different somehow.  I have coffee all day long and never have an issue sleeping but last night after the tea, I was all awake until well into the wee hours of the AM.  I had to be up at 5:15 to workout and catch my train to Toronto for the week.  I did both but I am dragging my butt a bit today.  Looking forward to my paleo chili (leftovers from last night) for lunch and lamb chops for dinner (Yumm)!

Cheers

DJ

Still hanging in there.  My husband sabotaged my children's diet but I will try to stick to paleo for them as much as I can.  I'm a little bummed about it - I realize that is what send me on my downspin in June when I faltered.  It is demoralizing to feel so so successful at this, only to come home to see children ricocheting off the ceiling and a bag of Chicken McNuggets sitting on the kitchen counter.

Meanwhile I am still on my July Whole30.  It was a lot more fun last week when I felt the whole family was behind me.  Something about the words "your paleo food is disgusting" burst my bubble.

Archived