July 1 Support Thread

lifeography

Ok, last two days have not been fantastic. I've been fighting a sinus infection for over a week now. I finally broke down and went to the dr for meds.

My throat has been killing me ... and we were out running around a lot yesterday ... so I broke down and bought a hot beverage. No, it wasn't compliant. It wasn't the worst option, but it wasn't compliant. So my husband says "guess you're starting your 30 over". Ugh ... can't decide if I'm starting over or just calling it an oops and moving forward. I have yet to see any positive benefits from this Whole 30 (thank you cold for making an impact) ... so it may be better to just wait a week (giving my body time to kick the infection) and then start again. Or I may decide that I stop worrying about some number of days and plan to continue eating compliant meals with an occasional oops. We entered this with the mentality that it would change the way we ate for the rest of our lives ... but we would eventually allow occasional splurges.

I will say that I am mentally feeling great about cooking way more meals at home and enjoying finding new healthy recipes to make. We already ate pretty healthy but I'm loving that we have completely pushed the processed foods out of our house and that my daughter has seen great results from the lack of sugar (much of the pre-teen drama is just gone ... and any parent of a pre-teen/teen will agree that is kind of miraculous).

Anyway ... onward and upward. Hoping my mental view of all of this will improve over the next couple of days as I begin to kick the cold.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on day 14 of my whole30.  Doing fine.  I made a pot of chili and a pot of bolognese sauce and have been alternating between them as my meals.  I'm on the road for the weekend and have my meals in mason jars.

I did have a Denny's breakfast skillet without cheese - it was fun not to have to pick out the white potatoes.  Truthfully, I still separated them out and ate the veggies first and then picked at a few white potatoes.

Hanging in there - I got past day 10.  I also do not have hunger and need to remind myself to eat.

Hi, 

I need some advice. I have noticed my fingernails have become very soft. I can't touch anything without bending them over and they are not long, only just over the end of my finger. (In fact I have now cut them very short to stop any painful low down breaks. I can't say for sure that this is a result of being GF for a year and low on dairy consumption but it seems likely. Should I take some sort of supplement or what am I missing in my diet?? 

Hi, 

I need some advice. I have noticed my fingernails have become very soft. I can't touch anything without bending them over and they are not long, only just over the end of my finger. (In fact I have now cut them very short to stop any painful low down breaks. I can't say for sure that this is a result of being GF for a year and low on dairy consumption but it seems likely. Should I take some sort of supplement or what am I missing in my diet?? 

Nope. soft nails are not a result of gluten free or low dairy* consumption. Gluten and dairy are not responsible for strong nails. B vitamins, especially Biotin will help nails stay strong. Biotin is available as a supplement, but eating more meat and good fats and greens will help too.

EDIT: the article reminded me to add that you might want to do some blood work just to be sure. soft nails can be a result of thyroid issues and/or low vitamin D. If your D is low you won't absorb those biotin supplements well. Your blood levels will let you know how much D to supplement.

*it's true, zinc and calcium also help nails stay strong, but dairy doesn't really give us much bioavailable calcium. http://whole9life.com/2012/02/what-about-calcium/

Nope. soft nails are not a result of gluten free or low dairy* consumption. Gluten and dairy are not responsible for strong nails. B vitamins, especially Biotin will help nails stay strong. Biotin is available as a supplement, but eating more meat and good fats and greens will help too.

EDIT: the article reminded me to add that you might want to do some blood work just to be sure. soft nails can be a result of thyroid issues and/or low vitamin D. If your D is low you won't absorb those biotin supplements well. Your blood levels will let you know how much D to supplement.

*it's true, zinc and calcium also help nails stay strong, but dairy doesn't really give us much bioavailable calcium. http://whole9life.com/2012/02/what-about-calcium/

thank you, just thought it might be because I stopped taking my supplements for the whole30. I usually take a multi vits and a b vits. More likely that!

Hey All--

Day 20 complete. I'm 2/3 of the way there!

I had an interesting reflection tonight. I've been cooking a ton on the Whole30, and it's really excited/inspired me. Some things have been great and others haven't been, but it's been fun to try. I belong to a CSA and to a farm co-op (where I get meat and eggs), so I feel like I've also been challenging myself to have zero waste.

Anyway...my reflection is that when food takes longer to prepare (and when I put more skill into it), I eat less. I didn't turn the TV on at all this weekend (minus starting a movie and falling asleep last night). I spent a ton of time in the kitchen--quite happily. I made a bunch of stuff, worked at the farm yesterday, went kayaking, had a homemade dinner with friends, went for a run, sang at church, pickled and preserved a bunch today...and when I sat down to dinner tonight, I ate delicious food in an appropriate portion and hitting all my macros (protein fat carb). I felt so much more intentional than if I had cooked a box of velveeta in 10 minutes and eaten it in front of the TV (which I've been known to do).

I guess feeling this way is the point...but it was just an interesting thought today. Maybe if I can keep cooking, I can keep on the Whole30--I just might start having to give away food!

Good luck tomorrow!

Yea!  I'm on Day 15 and survived my first week of working 7 days in a row, over the day 10 hump.  Light at the end of the tunnel!  I had one day off and now I am in the midst of working 7 days in a row again.  This coming week may be a little harder because we have to move out of our house to have it painted so my kids and I are going to be staying with a friend.  But I haven't cheated and I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Though is it true there is going to be an official Whole30 August Whole30?  I've been seeing something mentioned on their facebook page.  I'd have to join in if it's a worldwide thing!

Tracy

Hey alll...

Had a good weekend and I ventured into un-charted teritory.  We were at the local famers market on Sunday as a family and my daughter wanted to get some potatoes... I have not had (of course) any potatoes while on plan but with the new rule, we did buy them, cut them, tossed them in olive oil and garlic and oven roasted them.   We also had local beets (boiled then olive oil and balsamic), local green beans, salad and chicken legs on the BBQ.  I pulled out two bowls of sauce (BBQ and hot mustard) for my kids and wife (they are not W30 compliant) for them to dip their chicken and I had mine as cooked with EVOO, Garlic and chili powder. 

Really, really good dinner and no issues with the potato introduction.  I won't plan to do potatoes every day or anything (I only have sweet potato 1-2 times per week normally), but it is a nice option.  It is not always possible to eat fresh, local grown produce, but when you can, enjoy it!!!

Regards

DJ

Hello there Day 21! 

I managed the baseball game Friday night by ordering a Philly Cheesesteak without the cheese or the bun and with extra onions and peppers - it was excellent, and they were nice enough to cook it in front of me in olive oil.  It probably wasn't EVOO, but it wasn't junk oil either.  Score!

And DJ -- the A's were down 4-2 in the bottom of the ninth, and Donaldson hit a 3 run homer to win it.  The place went bananas!  A's won the series, and Manny Machado was thoroughly, roundly booed everytime he poked his nose out of the dugout.  Tell your Blue Jays to go get 'em.  :)

Finally made Well Fed's mayonnaise last night and WOW was it awesome.  I haven't had mayonnaise in years and years.

PS - I'm having the opposite problem as Anipi in that my fingernails are quite hard and growing incredibly fast.  Weird.

Yay, day 22! Going well and feeling great! I made stir fry last night and used the Well Fed sunshine sauce in it, amazing! My non whole30 husband thought it was the best I'd made in a while! Lots of leftovers for me for a few days now! Also, broccoli slaw is an amazing addition to stir fry. It almost acts as noodles so u never miss the rice!

Day 23! I can't believe I'm surviving at the moment because our kitchen which was meant to be finished on Friday is being delayed another two weeks as they sent us the wrong measurements for the benchtop! Ugh, so frustrating. I'm reduced to either microwave or electric frypan cooking which is hard to keep inventive. My in-laws have been great and offered to cook for us during the week as we both work quite long hours but then every night they sit down for dessert and eat the one thing that I've been craving....ice cream! Such a child haha, but all good. I always say no, but that doesn't mean that I don't grumble about it!

I have decided I will be pushing this out to a Whole100 so I'm glad that I'm now in the 20's and can say I'm a fifth of the way through :) Lots of meals I want to start trying soon, once this kitchen is up and running of course! Also glad that white potatoes are allowed now as those seem to be a staple food in my in-laws house and would only leave me with steamed carrots and peas otherwise :/

Hope everyone else is going strong :) xx

Okay, time to face reality and make a good choice. 

Went out to lunch today to an upscale burger place. Had a burger (no bun) with lettuce, tomato and avocado. Felt sick to my stomach within an hour. Guessing they used some non-compliant ingredients or less than quality beef - and my body felt like telling me about it now that it knows what quality food can give it. This is the first time I've felt my body react to the food I ate since we started this (and I was even trying to order a compliant meal). I won't be going back to that restaurant again.

I have struggled with the whole30 - between the sinus infection and my job requiring me to workout between 7 & 15 hours per week (as a group ex instructor). Most of the food I have eaten has been compliant. However, I caved to a couple of hot (non-compliant) beverages while I was sick and my throat hurt. I also struggled with hunger and finding the right balance of foods for the first couple of weeks since I burn so many calories at my job. While I've been cooking at home way more than before & enjoying the compliant meals I'm making, I haven't felt the benefits I was looking for personally (though my husband and daughter have found benefits). I'm thinking my couple of "oops" drinks and my struggles with balance mean my body is going to take more time.

Luckily I don't miss any of the bread products. I haven't craved desserts, though I'm sure there will be times in life where I actually do want to enjoy a dessert - but I'll cross that road when I get there. I do miss the coffee (obviously) - I guess that's good to know about myself.

Conclusion ... I'm starting over as of tomorrow. August 21 is my new goal date ... with the understanding that I'm looking for ways to make this a food overhaul for life (eventually allowing an occasional treat once or twice a month). 

Hey all... Chose yesterday as my day to go to the gym after work (did Cardio in the AM) and do weighted squats for the first time in a long time.  Feeling it (not suprisingly) today.  In addition, this AM was T25 (A Beachbody DVD Series) - Lower Body Focus which is all leg high intensity cardio for 25 minutes.  I am afraid to get out of my chair here at work. 

Eating is on plan and I am doing pretty well.  Last night was pork chops, sweet potato fries and salad for dinner.  We had an all day meeting yesterday that was catered but I ate my homemade chicken legs (leftovers) and my salad while the rest of the team had the wraps and sandwiches.  No big deal was made and it all went well!

Cheers

DJ

JMS - It sounds like you've had a seriously challenging month, and being ill makes everything so much harder, doesn't it?  I'm so inspired by your decision to start your whole30 over from scratch.  I wonder, did you have issues with foods before starting the whole30?

DJ - way to go, turning down the easy way (catered meal) and staying on target!

Day 23 for me, and like JMS I feel like my focus is shifting from "I can do this for 30 days" to "I can totally do this for the rest of my life."   It's amazing to me that something that I expected to be so hard just --- hasn't been . . .

. . . or wouldn't be, if I had a house elf to do all these dishes.  Great balls of fire, the dishes just don't seem to ever end!

Hey all--

Yay Day 23!! I'm feeling really good--wearing a skirt today that is falling off--it was tight just a month ago. Progress!!

Anyone thinking about reintro? I've been thinking a lot the last couple of days. Something I read on the reintro portion of the site that has really stuck with me is not to plan cheat days. This felt a bit strange--because I have so many paleo friends who plan cheat days weekly or biweekly like clockwork. But the more I thought about it, the more it seemed to make sense that planning cheats was setting yourself up for failure. I love the off-roading flow chart, and I think it will be helpful for me in the future...but I'm not sure where to begin? Like, I don't want to blow it starting on Day 31, but I also think a glass of wine sounds really good right now. As someone who is such a planner, it's hard for me to say, "I will continue eating like this but will allow myself to off-road using the flow chart, when there's really a reason to do so." I worry about going out with friends--should I try to be as strict as I have been in this experience? Or are those the times I should be okay off-roading? I guess I feel like there's rarely an occasion in which eating "off plan" is necessary...but I also don't want to obsess over what oil my veggies were cooked in at a restaurant (which I do right now)...Finally, part of me wants to do something like commit to a whole100, but I think that's my control freak nature rather than making a decision based on health, so I should probably avoid that.

Anyway...I don't expect any of you to have answers. I know I need to work through it myself. I'm just having a bit of anxiety about it, so I wanted to vent. I tend to do better with really strict boundaries (like the Whole30) and to struggle more when I need to live in the "grey area." I don't want this to be another 30 day success followed by an off-the-wagon disaster--I've been there before with other programs and I'm SO SICK OF IT. I want this to stay a long-term path to health...

Have a great day!

Nearly went off track last night! We went to my in-laws for dinner and they'd cooked us a casserole which I asked them about. They were telling me meat, veggies, stock, etc. then they casually mentioned a sauce base they'd used. When I had a look at the ingredients there were two different types of sugar, cornstarch and soy! Ended up making some bacon and eggs instead with an orange which isn't a perfect meal, but was at least compliant!

Just reinforces that you've always got to be vigilant and it's not enough to trust what someone is telling you is right. I had a moment with my husband who was worried about offending his dad who had cooked the meal and didn't want me to say anything because he didn't want him to feel bad but I'm glad that I did. His father was fine about it once I explained why I couldn't eat it and how long I'd been doing it for, so it wasn't worth having a meal that wasn't right for me. Crisis averted!

Today is the start of day 24!  So many challenges face us.  I read the posts and see so many of us facing these challenges head on.  I am happy with how I am doing.  I think my favorite part is the no hunger part.  I can practically feel my body eating it's own fat.  woot woot.  In the past week I had one great experience at a restaurant, and one really bad.  We were out shopping for a new car and I realized I hadn't eaten in about 9 hours.  Not feeling hungry, but super tired.  We stopped at a good restaurant, and I told the waiter my situation.  He fixed me up with a beautiful salad, a perfectly grilled chicken breast, and home made salad dressing that he verified was pure olive oil.  It was a great dinner, and totally outside the box from their menu.  The second was our tenth wedding anniversary.  We went to a very trendy restaurant for dinner.  I again explained my limitations and the first waiter just said "we can do anything", but his face said "whatever".  The waiter that came to take our order was the same way.  I didn't order anything.  Mike wasn't happy with that.  So he ordered me a piece of trout grilled without anything.  We again explained that the olive oil had to be pure and not cut with any other oil.  In the end they brought me a tiny portion of trout, white rice, and cucumber slices in vinegar and cane sugar.  They made no effort to put together something that I could eat.  This place was recommended by my step daughter that is doing a whole 30 next month.  Mike and I wont go back.   

LIfe is full of challenges.  Seven days to go.....

Well a co-worker in my office (i have only been here 3 weeks) is leaving tomorrow so we had a breakfast "feast" today that I did not know about and was not able to help purhcase.  There was fruit and some cold cuts (including prochuto) but I don't know how the Prochuto was cured so I stuck to black coffee and fruit.  They understood that I was not going to have any of the bagels, pastries, cupcakes or other treats; and they were pretty good with not questioning my decisions.  It gets easier saying "no" when you have done this a while.  For me... getting over the "why can't I have that" stage of feeling deprived and moving toward the "I get to make these healthy choices for myself" kind of empowerment  really helped me mentally.

There are still times (rarely) when I feel deprived but most of the time I do feel strong and confident in my choices.

Monday is my 18 year anniversary... but I will miss it.  I will see her in the morning and she will drop me off at the train with the kids (I work and live in Toronto - 3 hours away) during the week.  We will do something to celebrate this weekend but I hope to avoid the dinner issues you had Cortner1195 on your anniversary.  Waiters need to understand that they are in the food business sure but they are first and foremost in the service business!

Day 23 (for me) well underway!

Cheers

DJ

We will do something to celebrate this weekend but I hope to avoid the dinner issues you had Cortner1195 on your anniversary.  Waiters need to understand that they are in the food business sure but they are first and foremost in the service business!

Day 23 (for me) well underway!

Cheers

DJ

In theory I agree with the concept of being able to ask a restaurant to broil us a chicken breast, or leave a sauce off of something.  However, expecting a restaurant to comply with all the intricacies of an elimination diet is more than we can ask.  I try to choose places that I know I can choose something without making the waiter go read labels before he brings me my food.  Or I just don't have food be an integral part of a celebration.  Or cook at home.  I think it is just a lot to ask, and I don't think we have the right to judge a restaurant because they can't meet our dietary restrictions.  I think it's like going to a non-kosher restaurant and asking them to provide me with a kosher meal.

Back again...Sorry for the time away..just wanted to thank you all for being so encouraging and for the great suggestions:) End of day 23 and still going. Still fighting bad cravings/hunger at night...have realized that hunger and craving are super hard to distinguish for me. My stomach growls for both. Have tried the 'am I ready to eat boiled fish questions' and most times I would prefer a choccie, but would settle for boiled fish. I also realized that I upped my workout regime quite considerably and that may have something to do with it. I feel like I already eat pretty big meals for a girl :) But still going and have my chin up = thanks to many of you. I would say 1 out of 3 nights...I can't handle the cravings and cave and have a piece of fruit or a handful of nuts...will see. I am guessing this means that I need to continue past 30 days.....my cravings/hunger pangs are far from under control.....

Lee-Anne (the hungry girl)

.....my cravings/hunger pangs are far from under control.....

Lee-Anne, I think you still aren't getting this: You aren't supposed to be hungry because you are supposed to eat enough not to be hungry. Your hunger will go away when you start eating enough. eat more.

Trust me I WANT to get it! Here is the deal - I eat a big dinner and am full when I am done, couldn't eat anymore. About half an hour later, my stomach starts growling again and that keeps going till I go to bed. That is why it very well may be cravings and not hunger....I have a long and complex relationship with food - I was just hoping after reading the book, that the cravings would diminish. But I will try it - maybe I will try more for lunch and that will help ...

Archived