July 1 Support Thread

lifeography

Day 16! After a rough weekend of traveling, I'm glad to be home so I can control my own food again!  l learned that traveling and eating out is TOUGH! I ordered everything compliant, but who knows what everything was cooked in and added after. So I've decided to add 2 more weeks to my Whole30 ( I guess this is another way of saying today is back to Day 1, but it sounds better to me to say I'm on day 16 and added 2 more weeks! LOL!) Feeling good, can't wait to weigh myself, my clothes are looser and my face looks thinning in the mirror. We are not going anywhere or eating out for 30 more days! Calendar clear! Bring on the Tiger Blood! : )

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all

Checking in quickly... Day 15.  Doing really well.  Eating on plan (not always veggies at breakfast) and feeling pretty good.  My life has drastically changed since June so energy levels are a little apples and oranges with me.  What I mean is this.  I am feeling fairly tired most nights but I am OK with that.  July 2nd, I started a new temporary job and I live in Toronto (at a family member's home) and train home on Fridays (home is in Kingston, three hours drive away).  I went from comfortably driving to work each day to taking public transit and walking (Toronto's Transit system is pretty good) on a daily basis. 

I am in a rhythm here and doing pretty well.  My new office staff compliment is small but there is a baker amoungst us who routinely brings in sweets and treats.  No real temptation there so I will take the win.  Eating my normal W30 fare (M1 - Poached eggs and typically banana or other fruit; M2 - leftovers from previous night with salad, apple; M3 - Best-sourced meat I can find/afford (Pasture-fed beef burgers tonight) with salad and either some nuts or fruit).

I work out each weekday morning (Doing Shawn T's Focus T 25 program) and do some gym work at night when the body allows.

Feeling pretty good but my schedule is somewhat busier and I am still getting used to the changes in my life.

Cheers

DJ

Hi everyone, first time poster, day 16! (I started June 30).

So apart from some headaches and feeling really sleepy early on, I haven't really experienced many of the side effects.

However, being up to day 16, I'm not sure I've really experience any of the benefits either! I'm sleeping the same, same amount of energy, clothes feel the same.... Am I doing something wrong or will I magically wake up in a few days with the elusive TIGER BLOOD? 

Before I started whole30, I was GF for about 9 months. I ate paleo probably 60-70% of the time but have a MASSIVE sweet tooth and would have at least a couple of sweet snacks each day (more on weekends) so I feel I have been drastically different there. My boyfriend who is doing it with me is a massive stickler for Swypo so basically the only sweet things I have now is fruit (1-2 pieces per day, max)

Any tips/ advice would be welcome, I'm going to commit to the whole 30 days regardless but it would be nice to have some benefits!

Something else I wanted to ask your advice on too, I have no problems between breakfast and lunch (In fact I'm eating lunch later now) but I simply can't FIT enough food in my stomache to tide me over until dinner so I always end up snacking in the afternoon. It's always compliant, a piece of fruits, small handful of nuts or some chicken, avo and tomato but I just get so hungry otherwise! I am definitely eating enough fat and protein but I guess the 6-7 hours is too long a stretch for me. Any advice?

Thanks guys!! 

Well there is no clear answer because, as has been said here before, everyone is different.  I have done now 5 (working on #6) W30 or more.  Each one has been different... but all have been beneficial.  I have had varrying weight loss from 16 Lbs down to only 4 lbs for the first 30 days but typically I lose about 8-10 lbs).

I have had varying levels of "tiger blood" experiences as well.  My first W30, not so much... my second one was full on growllllll!.  I am on day 15 of this 6th W30 and I am not really feeling overly energetic.  I generally sleep very well on a W30 but not so much this time.  Food dreams are another metric we use to see if we are on plan or not... however, this has been all over the board for me ranging between real vivid food dream to no real food dreams at all. 

However (here comes the hypocondriac in me) I have always found the following benefits in each of my W30 experiences:

• complete loss of heartburn
  • no bloating
  • clearer skin (tough one for a 43 year old guy to hear "nice zit)
  • less aches and pain (historic knee and foot issues mostly go away)
  • absence of cravings (big sweet tooth here too)
  • clearer train of thought and ability to focus

This list should be enough but I do agree that a little tiger blood energy would be great right now.  Sometimes it comes and sometimes not.  I do this program because it improves my wholistic health (see above) and has completely changed the way I view food and nutrition. 

Don't know if this will help you at all but enjoy the journey.  Obviously, I am a big supporter of taking this ride!

Cheers

DJ

Holy Tiger Blood, Batman. I feel like it kicked in yesterday. My schedule was back to back meetings from 7:30am to 8pm (I literally had a one hour break and one half hour break in there), so I'm a bit tired this morning, but that's to be expected. I did Crossfit yesterday morning, yoga at lunch (during the hour break), and completed my marathon training last night (I'm doing a CrossFit endurance program, so doing CF in the morning and running at night is something that happens two days a week). All that physical activity and I'm feeling energetic and barely sore today. Plus I slept like a rock! I was worried I was overdoing it by adding yoga at lunch, but I actually think it contributed to the fact that I'm less sore and more relaxed. I've also been meditating every day (even if only for five minutes--I'm a total beginner) and that has helped a ton. Benefits so far:

1. ENERGY!

2. Sleep is finally getting better--still not getting 8 hours, but much better

3. Stress is, like, gone. I'm a high stress person with a full time job in education policy and I'm on an elected school board (a second full time job). Stress has become my norm, but things that are out of my control are rolling off my shoulders.

4. No digestive issues, bloating, etc.

5. Cravings are pretty much gone.

6. Took a "halfway" pic and I can see a physical difference in problem areas

7. I may have cheated (don't yell at me) and checked the scale halfway and have definitely lost lbs.

8. I feel like my nails are growing faster...didn't realize this would happen in just two weeks, but it seems like it is...

Question for folks who have done this before: How did you deal with reintroducing alcohol? I'm looking very forward to a glass of wine on Day 31, but I obviously know this isn't GOOD for me. Did you limit your drinking to XX drinks per week or something?

Have a great day! Hoping this feeling lasts through the rest of the month!

Nah, it's very individual - it all depends on what you were eating before, your other habits, etc. I've never had Kill All The Things, and I get sleepy early on as well. :)

Good to know--the "Kill ALL of the things!" part made it seem like no one is immune!  Honestly, I've never experienced such a steady, positive mood before.

Holy Tiger Blood, Batman. I feel like it kicked in yesterday. My schedule was back to back meetings from 7:30am to 8pm (I literally had a one hour break and one half hour break in there), so I'm a bit tired this morning, but that's to be expected. I did Crossfit yesterday morning, yoga at lunch (during the hour break), and completed my marathon training last night (I'm doing a CrossFit endurance program, so doing CF in the morning and running at night is something that happens two days a week). All that physical activity and I'm feeling energetic and barely sore today. Plus I slept like a rock! I was worried I was overdoing it by adding yoga at lunch, but I actually think it contributed to the fact that I'm less sore and more relaxed. I've also been meditating every day (even if only for five minutes--I'm a total beginner) and that has helped a ton. Benefits so far:

1. ENERGY!

2. Sleep is finally getting better--still not getting 8 hours, but much better

3. Stress is, like, gone. I'm a high stress person with a full time job in education policy and I'm on an elected school board (a second full time job). Stress has become my norm, but things that are out of my control are rolling off my shoulders.

4. No digestive issues, bloating, etc.

5. Cravings are pretty much gone.

6. Took a "halfway" pic and I can see a physical difference in problem areas

7. I may have cheated (don't yell at me) and checked the scale halfway and have definitely lost lbs.

8. I feel like my nails are growing faster...didn't realize this would happen in just two weeks, but it seems like it is...

Question for folks who have done this before: How did you deal with reintroducing alcohol? I'm looking very forward to a glass of wine on Day 31, but I obviously know this isn't GOOD for me. Did you limit your drinking to XX drinks per week or something?

Have a great day! Hoping this feeling lasts through the rest of the month!

I've never done a Whole before, but as someone who cut back a lot on drinking, I can say this: it might not be that hard to figure out how to reintroduce wine, because one glass will probably give you a pretty intense buzz!  Sometimes I feel it after the first sip!  Sometimes it's hard to drink more than one or two a week because otherwise I just feel gross...but that's me. :)

Have fun with your tiger blood!

Channon18 - so pleased to hear you hit the tiger blood phase!  And the other benefits you report (especially the ability to deflect stress) sound wonderful.  What day are you on?

Blair - like you, I had no real KILL.ALL.THINGS phase and have felt, as you said, steady and positive.  This is one of the things I really really hoped to gain on my Whole30, and it's almost better than my loose clothing.  Almost.  ;)

I'm on Day 15 and feeling good and strong.  Sleeping like a rock and waking up cheerful is such a gift.  And my husband made breakfast (I mean Meal #1) for me this morning -- a salmon and olive omelet with brussel sprouts and sweet potatos, fresh strawberries on the side.  Awesome!

Channon18 - so pleased to hear you hit the tiger blood phase!  And the other benefits you report (especially the ability to deflect stress) sound wonderful.  What day are you on?

Blair - like you, I had no real KILL.ALL.THINGS phase and have felt, as you said, steady and positive.  This is one of the things I really really hoped to gain on my Whole30, and it's almost better than my loose clothing.  Almost.  ;)

I'm on Day 15 and feeling good and strong.  Sleeping like a rock and waking up cheerful is such a gift.  And my husband made breakfast (I mean Meal #1) for me this morning -- a salmon and olive omelet with brussel sprouts and sweet potatos, fresh strawberries on the side.  Awesome!

Bethany - I'm a July 1 start, so I'm on Day 16. I do feel like I've been a bit lax in terms of the three square meals a day...I've skipped breakfast some, because I'm coming from the world of intermittent fasting, which has been wonderful for me. So that's a bit of a non-negotiable for me. But the contents of my meals are totally on point--they just vary in size depending on my hunger level.

I'm doing well about not eating noncompliant food but have missed a meal here and there.  And I still have not exercised.  I'm working three jobs and commuting 100 miles between home and two of the jobs, and watching my special needs first graders in my spare time.  Just not cheating is an accomplishment.  I don't think I am losing weight this whole30, but at least I am not gaining, which I would have been if I had been eating free choice during this much stress.  We had a new stressor added - it turns out we are going to have to move out of our house for smoke damage remediation.  My husband ran our new gas fireplace over the winter without opening the flue, and we have come to realize that we now have black streaks of greasy smoke damage over every wall, ceiling and surface of our house. We called the insurance company and they want to repaint everything and even pull out the carpet.  And we just moved in to this house exactly one year ago!  I guess we are lucky we have decent homeowner's insurance.

So that will be a challenge, trying to finish my whole30 out of a hotel?  We're trying to get the insurance company to move us into an apartment.

I made bolognese sauce today - just onions, carrots, celery, hamburger and compliant spaghetti sauce.  I eat it straight though you could pour it over spaghetti squash or zoodles.  Yesterday I made a double batch of chocolate chili.  And i have shredded sweet potatoes in my freezer for my fried eggs and sweet potato hash breakfasts.  Still snacking on veggie sticks in compliant guacamole to keep me from eating - today's temptation - the birthday cake that is sitting just 10 feet from me in the employee lounge.

Day 17 starting here.  I had another challenge day yesterday.  I had an unexpected day off.  My husband is also off so we decided to take the dogs on a road trip.  I packed my food for the day.  There is a routine to this trip that includes stops for food.  Ice cream, dinner etc.  I stuck to my packed food.  Big thanks to the gas/grocery/ice cream shop that let me use the microwave to heat my dinner.  That made it easier while hubby was eating his ice cream.  I completed the day on track, and never felt hungry or deprived.  That is the big difference for me.  I am very careful about fruit.  I only eat fruit after a full meal.  My goal was to change over from carb burning, to fat burning for fuel.  That makes the difference for me and how I feel on this.  No hunger, satisfied between meals.  That is what makes the episodes of watching others eat treat food so much easier.  That is what I will try to hold on to as we complete our whole 30. 

I am also not stressed this time on eating at restaurants.  It helps that I am just not feeling deprived.  My coffee is now just black.  I weaned off of coffee creamer to coconut cream, and now to straight black.  I am super happy with that. 

I saw a post on face book this morning that Whole 9 is going to make potatoes compliant beginning in August.  I will go try to read about that decision.  I don't really miss those so not a really big deal for me.

Day 17 here. Got in Crossfit and a three mile run (for marathon training) this morning. I made an AWESOME dinner last night that included:

Brick Chicken (chicken from a local farm where I'm a co-op member): http://www.marksdailyapple.com/herb-chicken-cooked-under-a-brick/#axzz37eQqjxn6

Roasted Beets and Brussels Citrus Salad (w/out cheese): http://www.countrycleaver.com/2014/03/roasted-beet-brussels-sprout-citrus-salad.html

Crispy Sweet Potato Fries: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/11/07/crispy-oven-baked-sweet-potato-fries/

Homemade two ingredient aioli: http://www.everydaymaven.com/2014/how-to-make-aioli-with-tessemaes/

If you haven't tried Tessamae's its AWESOME. I got it at whole foods.

I still feel great--tiger blood great. My only issue is that I think I have some sensitivity to beets, because I had them in that dish last night and again this morning and my stomach feels a bit funky. All the other things I ate are normal parts of my diet, so I'm blaming the beets.

Have a great day everyone!

I think the potato thing is kind of weird. I like sweet potatoes so I will stick with those.

I'm on Day 47. Have been doing just fine, cruising on autopilot and now today, I am craving peanut butter. :( this is the exact reason I had to go past Day 30.

I am happy to be here today! :) Got in an early morning workout so didn't feel bad about my husband driving me to work instead of walking (plus it was raining, no one wants that!) and on top of that, pulled out a pair of jeans that I'd been wearing even though breathing in them was a challenge and they fit so much better! I will take that win this morning :)

Have also been blemish free for a couple of days now and feeling a lot more alert in the mornings. I've also been getting better at craving milky teas and coffees. It's just so hard because it's winter here and there's nothing better than getting to work after walking in the cold and wrapping my hands around a warm mug to heat up!

My husband has been a massive help though and went out and bought me a whole bunch of different flavoured teas to keep at my desk so that I can still enjoy having something warm to drink.

Less than two weeks to go! I'm still thinking that I will push this out to be a Whole100 as I have a big holiday coming up in November and would love to be feeling better by then. Will see how I go in the meantime with all the events we have lined up between now and then.

Good luck to everyone still pushing on :) xx

It's end of Day 3 for me - yup, a careless mistake a few days ago forced me to start over at Day 16. Doh! Corn syrup in pickles?? Really??!

So I'm not all that worried about it, because I really want to make this a way of life. I can still do 30+ days before my birthday in August and enjoy a glass of wine that day, and go right back to eating super duper healthy.

On a positive note, something is working because I could fit into a pair of pants today that I haven't worn in 5 months! They were still snug, but hey - progress is progress.

And thought I'd share this - a few kitchen tools that I want RIGHT NOW! Including that avocado saver - genius!

http://www.purewow.com/agenda_detail/national/277/Tool-Time.htm

I've been so positive, but I'm now frustrated...

I had a work dinner with colleagues tonight. We waited forever and I was really hungry. I volunteered to wait for the table, because they were at a beer garden down the block, and I didn't need to be there. But I resented drinking my starbucks tea and waiting for a table--I wanted beer. Then a couple folks had a decent amount to drink, and I found them both annoying but I was also jealous that I couldn't even have a glass of wine. It's a gourmet burger joint, so the food wasn't hard--bunless burger (they use local meat) and a salad w/guac. But I'm just jealous of the cheesy goodness and the french fries and onion rings they were enjoying. It's weird that I can love this when I am cooking at home--I feel so in the zone. But going out puts me into a bad state of mind.

Just needed to vent. I did incredibly well--just not feeling super positive at the moment. Good night! Onto Day 18--only 13 days left!

HI I am Lee-Anne and my husband and I started our first whole30 on the 2'nd July. We have two little girls (3 and 5) who are not doing whole30. Today sucked to be honest. I have had no cheats, barring maybe a few larabars over the course of 2 weeks - and sometimes when I can't make it - a handful of nuts or fruit. Other than that all compliant..but I am SO tired of being hungry 24/7! I cross fit 4 times a week and am eating right - but so far I can't see any difference! No change in energy, sleep, skin....just firkin hungry. It might be cravings and not hunger - can't tell! All I know is that from 3pm onwards my stomach starts growling and I go to bed every night thankful that I can go to sleep without experiencing the constant temptation to get something to eat. Anyone else experiencing this??? The main reason to do this, was to fight the urge to eat at 3pm and then at night....so far: no change!

That sounds pretty full on Lee-Anne! I've definitely got cravings when I get home from work at 4pm which is when I would usually scrounge around for a snack but I can usually block them out by focusing on another task until it's time to start thinking about dinner.

Do you have the pre or post workout meals that they recommend for those that are active? I have been going to the gym a bit lately (not as full on as Crossfit!) and have noticed that my stomach has been growling a lot more by the end of the day and I'm not lasting as long between meals. Might be time to add in another mini-meal to account for the extra work we're doing! :)

Day 18 and yesterday finally started the energy back for me, thank God! I was tired of being tired! Sleep is amazing, I have a fitbit that I can track my sleep and even though I was typically a pretty good sleeper before, normal nights 5 or 6 periods of moving around, now there is NONE or maybe 1 restless period, it's pretty evident when I can compare my sleep from before!

Welcome, Lee-Anne!  I started on July 2 as well.  I'm sorry you've been struggling with the hunger/cravings -- have you checked in with the Troubleshooting thread?  They're extremely helpful, and if you give them a list of what you've been eating, they'll probably have some good suggestions for you.

I'm on Day 17 and I think the Tiger Blood is happening!  I feel cheerful and energetic -- maybe just because it's Friday, but whatever, I'll take it.  Also, I'm down a whole size in my jeans, my skin looks clear and even, and my hair feels very soft.  Still loving the excellent sleep, and the total lack of brain fog.

BIG challenge tonight -- baseball game (A's v. Orioles) and the glorious wonders of ballpark food.  I've researched all the food kiosks at the venue and found one that serves salads and fruit, and I'll just have to find a way to be tough when the ice cream vendors walk by!

HI I am Lee-Anne and my husband and I started our first whole30 on the 2'nd July. We have two little girls (3 and 5) who are not doing whole30. Today sucked to be honest. I have had no cheats, barring maybe a few larabars over the course of 2 weeks - and sometimes when I can't make it - a handful of nuts or fruit. Other than that all compliant..but I am SO tired of being hungry 24/7! I cross fit 4 times a week and am eating right - but so far I can't see any difference! No change in energy, sleep, skin....just firkin hungry. It might be cravings and not hunger - can't tell! All I know is that from 3pm onwards my stomach starts growling and I go to bed every night thankful that I can go to sleep without experiencing the constant temptation to get something to eat. Anyone else experiencing this??? The main reason to do this, was to fight the urge to eat at 3pm and then at night....so far: no change!

Lea-Anne

That sucks... I do not have that experience at all...  I work out 5 times a week and a couple of days are doubles.  I eat my three squares and sometimes a snack in the AM but not recently.

I have done this W30 thing now 6 times and the #1 by far  greatest thing about the program is the control (hunger and craving) that you get from this.  I am never hungry.  I have to scheule myself to eat or I would miss meals.  For example, today... I am taking a train leaving at 5:40 PM back home to Kingson arriving after 8 PM.  I just finished lunch at 12:50 PM.  I am not at all worried about beeing hungry and it will be likely 9 PM before I get to sit down and eat dinner.  I do have an apple for the train (if needed) in my bag and will grab a coffee before I leave town.

I have to remind myself to eat meals and very rarely have any real signs of hunger.  I also have 100% control over my cravings.  I am sorry that you are experiencing these challenges.  Hungry sucks.  It turns this nutritional experiment into a "diet" where you physically would feel deprived all the time. 

I can say that I have been in groups on 5 of the 6 W30s I have done (did one on my own - disconnected) and, in my experience, your story is pretty rare.  Maybe others have been fighting hunger and not reporting in in the group, but it has not really been a topic of concern after say day 3-5. 

Not questioning as I assume you can follow the rules but is it possible you are taking in extra sugar from somewhere... If I keep added sugar to none... I have no issues!

Cheers

DJ

BIG challenge tonight -- baseball game (A's v. Orioles) and the glorious wonders of ballpark food.  I've researched all the food kiosks at the venue and found one that serves salads and fruit, and I'll just have to find a way to be tough when the ice cream vendors walk by!

Bethany

Good year to be an Oakland fan.  I am a Toronto Blue Jays fan.  Hopefully you will beat up on the Orioles for us.  Enjoy the game and good luck with your temptations toinght!

Cheers

DJ

Hi Lee Ann - I started on July 4. I also have a 3 and almost 5 year old (boy and girl)  :) From what I understand, you are not supposed to go hungry and the tough thing is to determine whether it is true hunger or cravings. I often ask myself if I am hungry enough to eat broiled fish and steamed broccoli and sometimes I am! So I will allow myself a snack. I can make it through the mornings without a snack but I, too, find I need something around 3 or 4 PM. It might be because I don't give myself a full enough lunch or eat lunch too early. With two little ones, it's really tough to sit down and focus on the food at every meal. At some point, I'll get the snacking under control but at least I am sticking with compliant foods (a handful of nuts usually) and not gorging out on it. Try not to beat yourself about it, you're doing great!

I am on day 16. So far, so good. I am freaking tired of sweet potatoes, though! I need to try to find other starchy alternatives but I find sweet potatoes are the easiest things to reach for.

I am going to a ball game, too, tomorrow. Just a local college league team but same food temptations. It's 2PM game, so I should still be full from lunch. My biggest temptation will be beer and some popcorn!

Hi everyone! I'm starting Day 8 today and feeling pretty spectacular. Sugar cravings are gone and my energy is pretty steady, too! I keep having dreams that I'm eating bread or tortillas, though.

Yesterday I ordered a coffee from Dunkin, thinking that it would be one of the coffees they make from flavored grounds (which I usually get), but they put syrup in it :(. I took one tiny sip before I realized the whole thing would be wasted . I was scared just that tiny sip would wake up the sugar dragon but thankfully it hasn't.

My advice to Lee-Ann above: if you're hungry, snack. It sounds like you're really active! I know the program says three meals a day, but I think the problem most of us have with snacking is that it's done mindlessly. The point of this, to some extent, is to get you to pay attention to hunger and fullness, so take a moment to eat a mindful, compliant meal. I was hungry the first few days and did just that... Now I'm not so hungry between meals anymore. Granted, I haven't worked out in a little while and I know I'm hungrier on those days, but still--even more reason to snack!! Your body needs it.

Lee-Anne, some others have suggested this, but for some "official moderator" feedback: you shouldn't be hungry. If you are hungry you are not eating enough, or not enough protein or fat. EAT MORE. If you don't give your body adequate fuel, it won't hum along the the machine it can be and give you better energy, sleep or skin. You need to eat.

Have you been following the meal template? http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

If you want some help post a few day's worth of menus in the troubleshooting forum and we can critique. make sure you tell us about activity too--you need extra fuel around cross fit, etc. Let us help you feel better, don't just tough it out.

Lee-Anne - I was dealing with the same issue ... always hungry from around 2 pm on.  I also do intense workouts multiple times per week (because it's my job). I increased my protein in the morning (now my omelet is made with 3 eggs + equivalent of 1 egg white + 2-3 TBSP of cooked ground beef ... plus veggies). I also started eating a cup of sweet potatoes every morning. I chop them into cubes & nuke in the microwave for one minute to pre-cook them. Then toss in a pan with a little coconut oil and saute until soft on the inside and browned on the outside. These two additions helped a lot.

Tomorrow I'm planning to cook a big batch of mashed sweet potatoes (thinking I'll use a little coconut milk and pumpkin pie spice). I plan to portion them into rubbermaids and use them as a post-workout starch. I may eat them cold ... or I may make the effort to walk to the breakroom after class and warm them up. I'm hoping they'll taste good cold as I hate going into the breakroom (where other people's tempting food may be).

Archived