Water - whilst eating...?

stubz706

Guys perhaps a random one here. I haven't read the book in some time and will be picking it up again to read through in any case I started a Whole (30/45/60/90/120 - yet to decide) today as in this is my Day 1 and yesterday was Zero. In any case I have put a number of people on to the book and one of those people told me that it advises not to drink while eating your meal is this correct? I'd like to know now so that I have the answer before I get a chance to re-read the book.

Many thanks in advance for any help with this.

Christiaan

• Moderators

I don't remember what the book says on this (and I edited the book), but I usually save my glass of water until after I have finished eating. The concept is that drinking while eating dilutes your stomach acid and MAY interfere with digestion, especially if you are prone to low stomach acid. I think that adding water at the end is likely to be dilutive too, but drinking mostly at the end has been working for me. The food and stomach acid have gotten a head start anyway. :)

Listen to Tom.

To be clear on the rules, though: there are no rules limiting water drinking to the end of meals or outside of meal time. You can drink water at any time and remain whole30 compliant. Following recommendations against drinking water at meals is strictly optional.

Thank you very much for your prompt responses. I have for the best part tried to wait until the end of my meals before having anything to drink. The statement about diluting stomach acid rings a bell and I it makes sense to me. Albeit that there are no rules regarding this the recommendations I feel are sound and I will do my utmost to adhere to them. Thank you again.

Archived