Starting July 21

Jules1022

Day 7 done and dusted :) Well done to all of us :)

I made it through the weekend and prepped breakfast & lunches for the week ahead. I'm planning to go back to Crossfit this week and work is full on so it is going to be busy. I am feeling better though and my skin is starting to clear up which I'm pleased about. My irritability and crankiness from yesterday is also starting to dissipate. 

I hope everyone else is going well :)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 7 is here...and I didn't sleep very well last night. I am exhausted already, and the day has just begun. I had planned to get up and run this morning, but I don't have the energy. I will try like heck to get up tomorrow morning. I did quite well yesterday, but had some minor swelling in my feet last night. We had our church festival, and I had a hamburger with no bun and a little regular mustard. I did see paprika listed as an ingredient...and I am currently staying away from nightshades. I know paprika is considered a nightshade. Wondering if that caused the swelling in my feet?

One week down! :-)

Hello to my fellow paleos! I am on day 9 today ( almost in the double digits!) I actually slept through the entire night over the past 2 nights (no waking at 3 a.m. Restless!) all and all I am feeling pretty good... Have a few hurdles coming up w/ social events and a beautiful glass of Cabernet tempting me..... How many cranberries does it take to squeeze into a wine glass full of sparkling water to make it delicious? Blech! I wish there were more drink options. The only thing that is a treat is ice water with lemon and lime. I am not a tea drinker but yesterday dove through my cabinets to find 2 non compliant teas. Heading to a sprouts today for tea and bacon bacon bacon! Oh yeah, eggs and veggies too:) need to research a yummy dinner before I go. Also, any road trip suggestions? I will be in a hotel for next couple of nights. have a great day everyone!

Wooooopsie! Why didn't I read through this thread better!? I just finished making the pumpkin muffins to have a stash for our upcoming trip (ate a little dough and then finally a muffin..... Major blowout (tmi- sorry) now if only I'd read back through I would have seen the red flag. I'm on day 9 and really have no intention of starting over at this point. Hopefully I will still continue to make progress.

I have a husband and son who are not on board, however they support me, so I'm solo in the house and that has been a hassle.

I would say that when you make a meal, make it whole30 compliant. If they want something different, they can make it for themselves. There are lots of delicious whole30 compliant meals out there and it can't hurt them to have delicious healthy protein and vegetables for dinner.  :-)

Hi BeckyB & JMS

I do the same. My partner doesn't want anything to do with Whole 30. Luckily our dinners were fairly whole 30 compliant anyway bar the rice or pasta. So i just making our meals fully compliant and he is adding his rice/pasta/corn chips on the side. He seems pretty happy with this as its not too far from what we ate anyway. 

Day 8...and another almost sleepless night again. I tossed and turned until almost 2:30am. I woke toy husbands alarm for work about 6-6:15am. Up until Saturday night...I had been sleeping pretty good. Is this part of the changes with my body doing this program? I know certain foods can mess with sleep quality. I tell ya...I really can't have another night like the last two.

Day 7 went well. I had wanted to get up and run yesterday morning, but I ended up finding the energy in the afternoon after a 15-20 minute nap. After running 3.5 miles in the humidity, I jumped into the pool in my running clothes. It was pretty awesome...I highly recommend it! He He!

I hope everyone has a great day! 22 more days to go! :-)

I made it through the first week and weekend!  The weekend evenings were a bit difficult as those are/were definite alcohol nights.  Saturday evening when I otherwise would have been home having wine I went to Whole Foods and shopped instead.  As long as I can distract myself between 6-8 pm I'm okay without the wine.  My son's birthday was yesterday and I wasn't tempted to have a piece of cake.  I'm feeling really good and can already tell differences in my body and just feeling so much lighter in my step that I try to focus on that to propel me forward.  I am determined to make it the whole 30 days.

I'm learning some things about myself already, and I'm very curious to journey thru the next 3 weeks to see what unfolds. 

I feel lucky that I 'accidently' started this W30 at this time of year where I live, there is an abundance of fresh veg and fruit around.  Local vine ripe tomatoes are everywhere, one of my favorite things to eat is a sliced tomato drizzled with OO and vinegar and chopped basil and salt.  So good.  Peaches!  Cantaloupe! 

Also, yes, my husband and son are either eating what I eat or doing their own thing.  My secret plan is to slowly convert them.  :)

Have a good day!  :)

I'm learning some things about myself already, and I'm very curious to journey thru the next 3 weeks to see what unfolds. 

Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain Where the waving wheat Can sure smell sweet When the wind comes right behind the rain Oklahoma!

Becky B.  Okies are the Best in the West.   Technically, midwest.  I have no idea why they call it the Midwest.  It's south central as far as I can tell.

Best wishes to your success, Becky B.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say 'hi' :) I'm flitting over from the 14th July start as I realised I wasn't being properly W30 compliant my first week, so I effectively started 21st July. It definitely helped to have a week of no sugar, no dairy, no legumes to get started though.

Have been properly CRANKY the past week, and hoping it'll start to fade soon. I need my brain back!

Hope everyone's doing well,

Bee x

Day 9...and a much better start after getting 6-6.5 hours of sleep! It's amazing how feeling rested just makes you feel great! I hope this pattern continues, and I work back up to 7-8 hours. Meal planning is getting easier, and I am finding I have more energy during the day. I seem to not be getting my normal after lunch fatigue. That must mean the program is working right?! I can't wait to see how I will feel at day 30. Hang in there...and wishing everyone the best! :-)

Hi all!  I cannot believe I am just now finding this forum! Sure would have been nice to have had last week! lol Oh well....Day 9. I can't believe it is already Day 9. My husband started the Whole30 with me (our first ever) and lasted 4 days. I think it was the "no creamer in your coffee" that did him in.  ;) He has continued to be supper supportive though, which is nice to have. So far in just these few days I have faced a bad cold, a social engagement (dry grilled fish and double the steamed veggies), chinese take out (steamed veggies with added chicken and spices added at home) and pizza night with the family (opted to make my own food at home).  Soooo hard...but, so worth it considering the success I feel! 

I did have my first restless night last night which was frustrating. I am still feeling kind of run down. Would love to get a solid 8 hours under my belt sleep wise.  I was also cutting up sweet potatoes the other night and I swear they looked like pieces of colby jack cheese. I sat there with my mouth watering. I tried to explain the visual the family and they most definitely did not get it!

Improvements I have seen so far:

- I haven't had any issues with my IBS which has been wonderful!

- I have officially stopped thinking of Meal 1 as "breakfast" and have expanded my options dramatically for this meal

- I don't seem to suffer from the post lunch "nap time" feeling I have battled for years

- Sweets have not been as hard to give up (so far) as I thought they would be

I was thinking of adding some bicycling back into the mix this week and see how it goes. I opted out of it the first week because I was so run down (a double whammy of a cold and starting this), but, this week my cold has finally packed its bags.  I am interested to see how bicycling goes as my food improves and my body adjusts.

Anyhow, looking forward to getting to know you all! 

Laura

Day 10!

I was feeling really good up until yesterday. Yesterday morning I woke up with ezcema all over my face. I am also super grumpy and irritable. I spent the day yelling at my boss, which is so unlike me. I also keep crying - for no apparent reason. Again this is not like me at all. I haven't been to crossfit for nearly 3 weeks which I keep beating myself up about. I feel like everytime I get home I just want to sleep on the couch. 

I hope all this is transient. Ironically the food is going really well. I'm not hungry and not craving anything. I am also really enjoying the meals and cooking again. Argh I hope all these symptoms pass soon :(

I hope everyone else is feeling much better than me :)

Hey meeveebee - I am *sure* it will pass!

I woke up yesterday feeling like my head was full of porridge, and by the afternoon felt better. Today, I'm feeling ok. I hope this keeps up, I am definitely feeling much better :) I would really like to understand what is behind this 'carb flu' - it really was like flu for me, my immune system was roaring - glands like ping pong balls and everything.

Double figures everyone - day 10! :D

Happy Day 10 everyone! One third of the way through! I woke up grouchy this morning. I am sure it has something to do with not enough sleep. Also though, there is something just under the surface that is nagging me. A little voice telling me I am not doing enough or that I am not going to make it. Self doubt and a lot of criticism. Just trying to muffle it for now and get through the day. Wonder if there is some correlation about day 10 that folks seem to get moody?

meeveebee - hang in there! At least the food is going well! I remember reading a couple posts from folks that reported not feeling well until the very end and feeling exhausted. They also said that towards the end they went to sleep feeling like that and then the next day woke up with renewed sense of energy.  Hopefully you will get through this turmoil as well.

bee.roberts - I wish I had some insight into the carb flu.  I think it strikes some worse than others. Just keep going.

We have reached double digits! Day 10 is here!

Welcome ltaylor9597. Sounds like you made yourself right at home with the program! I had been having restless nights, but last night I got more than 8 hours of restful sleep. Finally! First night since starting the program. I hope it continues, and I hope yours will end as well. :-)

meeveebee. I am sure it's just your body going through all the changes. Hang in there...it will get better!

bee.roberts. Glad you are feeling great! Hope it continues for you!

I tell ya...after having more than one restless night, I was thinking of giving up. I am glad I stuck with it. Everyday I feel better, although I have a ways to go. I am figuring out that I may need to adapt into the AIP due to be autoimmune thyroid disease. I have been eating eggs for almost every breakfast, and (TMI) been having diarrhea. I had given up eggs, as I was having full aching in my stomach with hard boiled. Scrambled or omelets don't seem to cause the aching. Any ideas for something other than eggs for every breakfast?

Outdrsgrl - Thanks so much. I envy your 8 hours of sleep!!!  :D When I started Whole30 I decided to give up eggs. I have spent years trying to like them and unfortunately with my IBS they were always a trigger. Which, resulted in similar issues. Since I don't have eggs for breakfast it has forced me to rethink "breakfast" and really sink into the "Meal 1" mentality. Typically for breakfast in the morning I will have either a ground turkey or diced chicken "one pot". Basically, I take some pre-cooked protein, add in some sweet potato, red bell pepper and apple and cook with a little coconut oil.  I add cinnamon, pumpkin spice and a little salt to the concoction and eat up. It keeps it on the sweeter side which I find more appealing first thing in the morning.  I have tried the Aidels Chicken and Apple sausages in this sort of set up (several folks have mentioned them) however, I think I have officially decided I really don't like them. The casing is a bit odd and the flavor just isn't great.  You can get a ton of ideas by typing "whole30 eggless breakfast" into google as well. I will probably revisit that for some more ideas just so I don't get burned out. I love the "one pot" though. If your turkey or chicken is precooked it takes no time at all to throw it together.

Glad to see everyone is still doing well.

My language course started on Monday - so, from the time I leave my house at 7:45 to when I get home at 5:30 I'm not really using English. Thus, posting is pretty much non-existent as my brain isn't really cooperating here.

But, I've made it through three days of class without biscuits.  Unlike every other course I've done where the pack of biscuits is opened with about 10 minutes of class starting.  (And chocolate biscuits are most definitely a healthy breakfast).

I've been eating lots of lovely food though and have some salmon fish cakes in the oven right now that smell lush.  But they're for breakfast tomorrow.

Ugh, this is the restlessness people have been talking about! 1 am, I'd rather be asleep :P

outdorsgrl - I'm sure sure there are plenty of recipes out there, but for my ten penneth I always have smoked mackerel, kimchi and some chopped up cucumber with a bit of tahini for 'meal 1'. I'd been eating it for a while with (cold) sushi rice prior to embarking on this, and I love it as there's no cooking involved! (and nothing I need to remember to defrost in advance!).

annabel - salmon fishcakes for breakfast sounds luvverly, but you're right, definitely not as healthy as chocolate biscuits ;)

Hello July 21st-ers!  Day 10 and for me it's still going very well for the most part.  I continue to feel good, sleep is good, actually last night I slept like a rock, it was wonderful.  I was very tempted to weigh myself today but didn't.

As all of you say I have never, ever, spent so much time in the kitchen, and I've always 'liked to cook'.  It really highlights how our society has come to rely on convenience foods and drive thru's and restaurants.  I was laughing to myself awhile ago, I have about 5 cutting boards and 8 or 9 knives, and it's not enough!!!  That's crazy! 

I made nom nom paleo's crackling chicken tonight and it is really as good as they say.  Quite a mess, but hey I'm in the kitchen all the time so I'll just clean it up!  On the side I made a sauté of chopped bokchoy (didn't know before this W30 that I really like it!), broccoli slaw, mushrooms, cashews and garlic.  It was really good. 

I'm lucky in that where I work I'm very close to the break room and plenty of refrigerator space.  The other day when I was packing up various bowls of stuff it hit me that since I do have room at work I can just take the whole bottle of OO and leave some there, also take the whole thing of lettuce and put it in the fridge, so I plan to expand on that concept so there's more go to stuff at work to eat. 

I'm still excited and pumped to be doing this.  When people at work say the obligatory "how are you" I reply "Great!" and I really mean it and that feels really good.

Hang in there everyone!    :)

Hi all.  Survived Day 10 by the skin of my teeth. It was a downward spiral of a day.  By the end of the day I only wanted to sleep. However, made a Whole30 dinner for the family and made lunch today first.  I was sitting at the dinner table nearly in tears telling my hubby about my day. I do believe my family thinks I have officially lost it! lol Of course, I kind of felt like I was by then. I made it to bed earlier last night and the tossing and turning wasn't nearly as bad as it was the night before. Still not easy to get to sleep and stay asleep. I woke up this morning feeling about the same as yesterday and am looking forward to the days when I bound out of bed ready to take on the day. 

I did a ton of reading about Day 10 yesterday and stumbled upon the timeline on the Whole30 site. It was reassuring to see that what I am feeling right now is totally "normal". I just continue focusing on Day 30 right now knowing this is all just temporary and I will get there.

annabel - I was desperately looking to add some sort of variety to my meals last night (as I was starting to really hate what I was eating) and remembered you mentioning fish cakes. You inspired me! I cooked some up last night and am thrilled to have something new to eat today! Though, I could totally go for some chocolate biscuits right now...

bee - hope you managed to get a little sleep last night - sorry you got to experience that - totally stinks...

Becky - great to hear things are going to smoothly for you! I was doing great up till yesterday and for some reason I crashed. Not sure what caused that, but, hey - it is what it is. Just keep moving! Crackling chicken sounds yummy. Need to track that one down and fix it. Maybe tonight.  I have been having the same debate about weighing myself. On one hand I would really like to peek, but, at the same time, I don't want to lose sight of the reasons I am doing this to begin with. Losing weight would be awesome, but, it is really more about improving my health and I want to ensure I don't use the scale as a reason to give up.  Great to hear the set up at work works so well for you!

OK folks. Off for another day at work. Hopefully I can get through today without snapping at anyone. Was close to speaking my mind one too many times yesterday. It's not me talking, it's the detox!

Day 11 is upon us. Feeling pretty good after running 4 miles this morning. My "running legs" are coming back...yay! ltaylor 9597-I can relate to what you are going through. I had a super cranky day yesterday. Everything and everyone seemed to get on my nerves. I hope today is better...and I hope your day is too! Thanks to you and bee.roberts for the breakfast suggestions. I found some good ideas!

I am going out of town next weekend for a girls weekend to celebrate my 40th birthday! I was getting nervous about how I would manage meals, etc., but I posted something under travel and dining out...and someone posted a very helpful link with ideas of what to eat, etc. I had planned to bring a cooler stocked with stuff, and now I feel confident in my food choices while being away!

I hope everyone has a great day! 19 days left! We can DO it! ;-)

Hi everyone, day 11 - we're actually in the double digits:)

outdorsgrl - glad you got your running legs back!  I finally went for a run myself yesterday for the first time since starting and it felt great:)

ltaylor - welcome!  I know what you mean about yesterday, I was so easily irritated all day, cried several times (again) and was just ready to throw in the towel at one point!

BeckyB - NomNom's cracklin chicken is on my meal plan for the coming week - glad to hear you liked it! 

bee - sorry to hear sleep has been elusive for you - hope it was better last night?

annabel - salmon fish cakes sound yummy!

Happy Friday...and hello day 12. We are almost half way through the program! I will be turning 40 in two days. I can't believe it! LoL! I had a good day yesterday. I was in a much happier mood...and I think it's due to running. I would like to start running more than 2-3 days a week...as I think it will help tremendously.

bede0713-Way to go on your run! I am sorry your moods have still been up and down. Hang in there...I am sure it will get better! I know the more I exercise/run...the better I feel. :-)

Have a fabulous weekend...and keep up the great work! Were almost half way done...yeah! :-)

Archived