Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you firmed up your strategy going forward?  Holidays can be tough when we're surrounded by a hyper-food environement.  Holidays can become the ultimate enablers to over-indulge.  It truly is easier to eat none of something than reasonable amounts.  For some of us, it can be a special kind of torture to eat one bite and walk away.   Some who've had a great deal of discipline and self-control can handle this much easier than those of us who are all or nothing people.

One strategy I've used when the urge to eat anything is overwhelming - I make a huge salad and roasted vegetables.  You can make them so big your jaws hurt by the end.   A craving is only temporary.  True hunger always comes roaring back.

For Craving Brain Train, it's often not the quality you're after but quantity.   It's so important to break that cycle.  Eating quality food in quantity is a way to edge down slowly from thrill eating cycles that get you nowhere good.  There's no harm done from roasted vegetables and a large power salad.   You can walk away without a smidge of guilt.  You can celebrate with good healthy foods.  Holidays don't need to be a challenge you can't face.

If I find myself meandering outside my normal river banks, I go right back to the well.   Roast beef, pulled pork, bison, fish, ribs, chops....quality proteins.   Protein and fat keep you focused.   Protein and Fat. STAT!

They keep the wolf from knocking at your door.  The Sugar Carb Dragon.

If you have a Big Kahuna trigger food,  proteins and fats are the antidote.  Your trigger foods may change after a Whole 30.   All of the usual suspects you used to eat without thinking no longer turn your head.  You learn to listen to yourself.   You don't need a tracker, app or monitor.  Your mind takes a mental picture of everything that's on your plate or in your hands.   A Whole 30 will keep you more present and focused with your food and drink selections.   A Slow Roll Reintroduction reinforces your choices.

Reasonable boundaries.

The personal battle over what is and isn't a trigger food can be internally debated for quite some time.  We let them be slotted and leave them there.

If reasonable boundaries are not defined around trigger foods we can marginalize ourselves at every gathering.  If they have a strong and proven revelance - they have a place right beside the classic greats of whole foods.  If they cause you to go hog wild with physical suffering, once again they may not have a home on your plate.

Creative freedom in the kitchen is another avenue to express ourselves.  We can express through food something that connects people through an emotional moment.

Not everything can be a safe bet.  There will also be some risk reward to experiment and test our foods through reintroduction phases.  We can take that chance even if we may go bust.  Not everything will be a safe bet.

• 1 month later...

On a daily basis, we are surrounded by images of play foods. Constant exposure to food cues and it's effect on eating habits has been well documented. 

Does it encourage you to go thrill eating?   Yes.  

The research has examined our cognitive processes, our motivators to eat and the practical implications for the management of dysfunctional eating behaviors. 

In experiments, those shown food ads produce more food related words and a strong desire to eat them.  Those with food disorders were more proned to eat as a result of the ads. 

It's difficult to avoid food cues in breakrooms, street corners, grocery stores, social gatherings....but we can train our brain to avoid food in response to food cues that will get you nowhere good.

Archived