Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Unfortunately, it will take more than one conversation to unlearn the lies we learned growing up. We learned those lies situation by situation, and I am afraid we’ll have to unlearn them the same way.” 
― Barb Raveling

I've been shooting the breeze with the Universe for 2.5 years.

“The renewing of the mind, like a home improvement project, is a taking off and putting on. You take off the old self. You put on the new self. You takes off the lies. You put on the truth. You take off a cultural perspective. You take off what you learned growing up. ” 
― 
Barb Raveling

For every year of developmental programming and cultural brainwashing and deep rutted grooves in the brain, it will take at least a month to take off every unhealthy programming of the self.

If you're 33 years old and have been wallowing in HFCS since birth with baby milkshake formulas, that's going to take 3 years of  true grit to move away from your formative developmental programming.

That will get you to a place where the body is not fighting so hard against you every single day with cortisol blowback, hormonal imbalances and all of the rest of that mess that leads to diabetes and other dis-ease. 

It's not an eye for eye but a month for a year. Prep for it.

Prepare yourself mentally. It's going to take focus, faith, and fortitude to find your follow-through.

Fear and anxiety stop your break-through. Dig deep. Find your fortitude to push through.

Follow through.  Go all of the way through so that your barriers will break. Many may edge right UP on it but they let fear and anxiety prevent the cycles and barriers of food addiction or alcohol addiction or gambling or online shopping addiction from being broken.

You have to allow yourself to break through every single barrier.

It's the only way.

IMG_5062.jpg

Today, I hiked a very high mountain before the first snowfall tomorrow.  The dog days of summer are really over. They call these final days of fall...Indian Summer or Paleo-American Summer.  I'm already looking forward to the dog days of next spring. How about we El Paso on the winter.

14311450_1291928980831879_23812028288477

Have you experienced cortisol blowback.  You have to know what it actually feels like in your body before you can truly understand what that struggle is like. Most weight releasers with a 80-100 lb releasing rebound with every pound one year later.

As a former dieter and one maintaining a 80 lb releasing, the cortisol blowback hormonal driver is a nightmare. It's like the brain goes into a state of hypnosis. You're numbed out to what is actually going on until that hard fought magical number is now your worst nightmare.

Rebound is a marsher of mellows. You don't even know that you're numbed out. You plow through the food rewards day by day or a little at a time.  But it all adds up to the same thing.  The fat wants you back in a very big way.  The unhealthy kind of fat.  

It has it's own chemical makeup of hormonal imbalance that drives you.  The shut-off valve is now broken once again.  The appetite control center that resides in the brain does not have the balance needed to maintain your optimum setpoint.

So you start over and over and over.  You dig a deeper hole and the metabolism has slowed down into insulin resistance and a wall of belly fat is preventing the hormones from getting through to the pancreas, kidneys, liver, thyroid.  Everything is completely out of sync. Stress reduction seems like a pipe dream or illusion. 

I understand the struggle and process it takes to break through all of the barriers and cycles of food addiction.  It's going to take true grit and very likely,  a professional to help you. 

If you can count on less than 5 fingers the number of times you've actually found weight stability in your entire lifetime, it's time to sit down with someone Face-to-Face. 

It's not about the vanity pounds or the college 10-15.  I'm talking 80-180 and beyond. It's going to shorten your lifespan and the knee and back pain is a daily reminder. You can get away with it if you're young but when you hit 33, the body is going to start breaking down in ways that you never imagined.  

Your internal organs can no longer function. They're going to lay down in the trail like the stubborn mule and walk back off without you.  The mule will leave you there, asleep at the wheel.

That's what cortisol blowback is.  You are asleep at the wheel and running down the road on autopilot.  The brain is overriding any of your desires to maintain your optimum setpoint.  The hormonal imbalance drives you in such a way that you have constant hunger.  It doesn't matter if you've plowed through a Thanksgiving Dinner or buffet on the cruise ship, you're hungry, again.  It will drive you right into a nosedive.

It feels like a state of hypnosis.  It's a cruel and mean driver.  It only allows you to wakeup when you've reached your highest number and then some. That magical number you worked so hard for is long gone.

You see, I don't have any plans to start over.  I've been there and it's punishment.

I completely agree with Drew Carey.  Eating all the things and multi-crap is not a reward - it's a punishment.  Especially for those of us who've suffered with insulin resistance and a hacked thyroid/adrenal/pancreas/kidneys/liver imbalance.

If you do what you've always done you will get what you've always gotten.

Making plans for the food explosion and all of the special events for eating would be taking a trip down the same old miserable memory lane.  Food rewards don't enrapture me anymore.  I've paid the price for the punishment that follows after.

A grizzly tracks you from behind.  He may be up ahead but he'll circle back around and tear your head off.   Cortisol blowback is like that.  You have no idea how fast the hormones can go back into that old imbalance driving you to eat it all back within one year. 

You better have some strong strategies in place.  That beast of burden has you in its sights and a bullseye on your forehead.  

Image result for photos bears eating humans for a picnic

If you're going through hail, keep on going.  There's no other way.  See the strong man above. ^^^

Last night, Maw's cabinet brackets did not hold up under the weight of her dishes.  They broke and all of her dishes were broken with glass shards everywhere. It was one heckuva mess.  I'm grateful they did not fall on her head or cut her arms and hands.  She's bruised and shaken.  

Image result for photos broken dishes

The best decision I've ever made is learning how to draw my line in the sand.  It is not an imaginary line. It's for real. 

I've learned how to set boundaries.  I used to fly by the seat of my pants and thought that was the way to travel. It ended up being a bunch of hooey.

I did not know how to do this on my own so I had help. Face-to-face help.

I have my bottom line in place so that the bottom does not continue to fall out.

No more excuses.  Justifications and rationalizations. 

I had to learn how to say NO to things and people and food that did me more harm than good. If you didn't learn how to set personal boundaries when it comes to taking care of yourself....get yourself some. 

If you can't manage the daily status quo because of too many requests and demands on your time and energy, you need a bottom line. Just give me the facts, ma'am. 

When you say NO, you don't need to follow that UP with added justifications, explanations, excuses, rationalizations...rendering your NO as useless. 

Let your NO be NO and your Yes be Yes. 

Letting others take advantage of you is not a badge of honor.  It's a punishment. Just like multi-crap food is not a reward but a punishment.  

It's not a virtue to continue letting others use you as the carpet. They might've come to expect that out of you but TODAY, surprise the heck-outta them. Do not deplete yourself to make others appear larger in the rearview mirror. 

Set boundaries.  With your food and people and the demands that are placed upon your daily life.

It Starts With Food and it ends with food. Inbetween there has to be boundaries and your bottom line.    

On 10/3/2016 at 0:49 PM, MeadowLily said:

I'm praying for the Florida/Georgia Line but I'm also looking at the storm map and blowing that hurricane back out to sea. Literally.  Try it.  Blow it off the coast and away from the people. We've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.  It's a WIN WIN if that big bad wolf doesn't huff 'n' puff and blow the houses away.

I loathe Cortisol Blowback.  It's a cruel taskmaster. When Cortisol Blowback makes landfall at your doorstep, you've got to push back. Another binge is not a cure for Cortisol Blowback or a food addiction. 

Everyone knows that only one Whole 30 is needed to find your food triggers and sensitivities.  And we know that a Whole 30 forever is not the least bit realistic. Restrictive rules can  lead to rebound binge eating for those who have a food addiction.

I've completed one compliant Whole 30.  One.  

When you're in food addiction recovery, Food Storm Surge is pushed back with Urge Surfing.

So what is this.  

I'm still here because I'm shooting the breeze with the Universe and tooling along on my positive food management plan.

Many return immediately to their former way of eating on Day 31 or make plans for the food explosion full-on bender.  I did not do that.

I knew that I was at the end of the line.  One day, while I was bending over cleaning the house...small still voice told me it was so.  It scared the hail right outta me. 

I decided I wanted to live without diabetes and heart disease, liver and kidney probs, thyroid/adrenal gland imbalances and all of the rest of that unhappy horsesheet. 

I made the choice to forgive.  Everyday I choose to forgive my past self-indulgences and I had to take full responsibility for myself.  No one else can do this for you.  No one can pull you along by the hand....day by day.

There will be the midnight hours and alone times when you have to break through all of these barriers and food addiction cycles by yourself.  You may end up talking with yourself for months on end.

Family and friends become weary and worn out with food talk.  There's more to life. I know all of that.

But what I've learned while being here has been incredibly helpful. I've had to put all of the research and wise counsel into practice.  I'm going through the process so I'm mostly speaking in general to myself.

I don't know if Felicia is out there or swings by now and then.  She's probably busy cooking and doing food prep. She has 4 kids with one in the stroller.  Maybe she's exhausted from non-stop laundry and errands. 

Yesterday, I saw a young mother with 4 kids  under the age of 6.  Her face was very, very tired. I talked with her a minute and she was worn out. 

Eating whole foods when you have a large brood is important. You can't cope with the everyday stress when you're eating all the wrong things.  Your mind is in chaos. 

HFCS and sugar sugars do not give you energy.  They are a punishment to your body and mind.  I used to live there,  I know.  

Food filled holidays are just up around the bend. There's always another streetcar named desire with your name on it coming around the corner.

I don't care.  I really don't.   

Diabetes and heart disease, your internal organs aren't celebrating the holidays. They're trying to survive. It ain't over until the fit lady sings.  It's far from over.  

Hurricane force winds have storm surge potential.  But just as I have enough faith to blow a hurricane back out to sea,  I have enough faith to stay the course, rock steady and tool along the highway.

I'm not doing a Whole 30 but I'm not binge eating either.

I'm somewhere in the future and I look and feel much better than I do right now.

I spoke that over myself 2.5 years ago. It has a tune and cantor to go along with it.  I still use it. I let it carry me UP over the tops of steep hills and mountainsides.  The sky is not the limit.  The range of possibilities are endless.

It will take more than one conversation with yourself do undo all of the developmental programming and cultural dieting brainwashing.

You will have to unlearn every wrong tenet and replace it with the correct one. That's going to take longer than 30 days.  One month for every year of bit of hooey you've put yourself through.

You have to know what Cortisol Blowback actually feels like in your body to understand the hurricane force wind it uses against you.

Nothing great comes without a sacrifice.  I gave up HFCS.  How can something so insignificant marsh so many mellows.  Fake foods are like that.  It only takes a little leaven for a whole vat of bread dough. 

It only takes a little karo syrup in babyfood formula to literally ruin your relationship with food for an entire lifetime.....until you draw your line in the sand.  For real.  

My food freedom doesn't include food rewards.  Especially anything with HFCS or sugar sugars.  The sacrifice has all been so worth it.  

Much love.  Bye Felicias.  

Batten down the hatches and find shelter. 

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.  You do not have to go all of the way with metabolic sickness.   Break up with playfoods.   Playfoods will leave you stranded on the side of the road with your hood up.  You may be left there for years without any roadside help.

You know that it takes only one non-compliant item and your Whole 30 is over.  That's why a Whole 30 forever is not possible.  Even a Whole 60 or 90 is really at risk of becoming an imaginary one.  One item.  It's over and you have to do a restart.  

You can't call your own plan the Whole 30.  Eating your way through several states on your vacay, dairy queen food benders and mini-mart quick stop meals of hotdogs, corndogs and multi-crap is not a Whole 30. Playfoods galore.  Just because you write it all down in a log doesn't make it a Whole 30.

I've witnessed alot of cray cray shizz logs. They were not Whole 30 but logs of dieting filled with super intense cardio followed by oops - yet another binge cycle to make up for stripping meals down to a few poultry bones and a prune.

Long term, that approach will get you nowhere good.  These are followed by days of wine, dark chocolate and paleo friendly agave tequila.  It's raining taco chips UP in there and potato chips are sweeping the dieters off their feet.

Most legacy lifer dieters have Big Kahuna trigger foods.  They use dieting to get themselves to a period of stability without any trigger foods at all. They're dealing with serious cravings due to over-restriction and chronic hunger. 

They often drop like flies, never to be heard from again. Maybe a year later when the rebound weight gain has become unbearable. The chronic knee pain drives them back into dieting. And so the cycles of binge eating and dieting start all over again.

You can't call that anything but a whole mess.  Self-inflicted starving never wins.  I don't care if you're a young male with all of the right criteria or a senior citizen. Binge eating peanut m&m's and calling them a fat is another fig newton of the imagination.

ISWF recommends one compliant Whole 30 with the classic Reintro.   It's best so give yourself the test.  No one needs to keep checking their food allergies out forever.  We all know what our Big Kahuna food triggers are.  

Find your pathway to healing.   Reasonable restriction and over-restriction are worlds apart for me. But don't try to pull the wool over your own eyes and pretend that a log filled with tiddlywinks, pinecones and dairy queen blizzards are Whole 30. 

Pros                    Cons

Releasing only 1 pound relieves 4 pounds of knee stress on each knee

80 lbs X  8 = 640 lbs of knee stress

There are no cons

On the first part of the journey, it took 4 months before I could walk and hike without pain and limping on the way home.  Four months before I had one pain-free day.   

If you know someone who's been through double knee replacement surgery, I've seldom witnessed that they're ever the same again.  They do not work like your original factory settings.  They don't.

My neighbor was on her feet for years as a nurse.  She had double trouble knee replacements.  She had to leave her job and I seldom see her leave the house.  They don't work as she'd hoped.  The pain shows on her face.

I had to gut it out to break through the barriers of knee and foot pain. Everyday,  I taped my feet with white sports tape for the plantar fasciitis and heel spurs.  I used KT tape and placed it all around my knees.  I know how to do all of my own foot/knee taping.  

After about a year, I could manage without taping everything up. I have a Pain List that I have to revisit everyday as part of my food recovery program.

I'm required to remember the pain of my consequences.  I don't plan on returning to the scene of the crime.  The point of no return and unable to barely walk down the road.

I have many techniques that I use in the split seconds before I would even think about going dumpster diving again.  Those days are over. 

Create a Pain List if you don't have one.  Turn around and take a good hard look at where your food choices got you.  Mine got me nowhere good.  

The appetite control center resides in the brain.  After any kind of major weight releasing, it's going to fight you because the fat wants you back. It has a mind of its own because it makes its own kind of unbalanced hormones.

I remember the pain.  I haven't got time for the pain anymore.  It was ruining my life.  

Returning to food rewards is not rewarding.  It would be another cruel trick and deception.  I don't play with playfoods.  I don't bring them home and set them out on the counter to torment myself....should I, shouldn't I.  Noooo, that ain't the way to go.  Not for me.

My military doctor is one tough cookie. Been through wars and helps those who've been through hail on earth.  It's the right fit for me.  I'm a soldier in the Army.  Releasing weight and finding weight stability is a battlefield of the mind. 

You need tactical weapons to fight the 'mass' destruction.  A few rocket launchers and safety nets.  I'm on the battlefield.  The war is not over.  

I remember all of the pain.  I am not going back there.  All those crazy nights when I cried myself to sleep.

Don't bring the offenders into the home. It's as simple as that.  I'm talking food offenders. 

If you have a compassionate family, they'll understand and eat the offenders in the privacy of their own vehicle or outside.  If they're hail-bent on having multi-crap around, ever-ready within arms reach....Houston, you'll have to pull out all of the stops or stopgap measures.

We can't expect our family members to uproot their lives and live in a tent or motel while we tool along.  For the alcoholic, a glass filled with ice can be enough to trigger a relapse.  A cooler filled with craft beers may cause someone to go off on a bender at a picnic.  

For the food addict in recovery,  dessert table buffets or pizza day at the office can cause a food addiction recovery relapse.

Relapse is walking backward through the recovery process toward the food addiction.  Throwing every recovery tool away and returning to the addictive foods or alcohol or online shopping or gambling or substances or unhealthy relationships.........

Relapse does not begin with the first bite of the addictive substance.

Relapse is being in a state of unconscious, spur-of-the-moment, split second old behavioral pattern and cycle which ends in a full on thrill eating food bender or 5th of tequila or becoming $1000's of dollars in credit card debt.  

Food Addiction Recovery is rooted in the ever present conscious awarness and avoidance of a relapse. This is accomplished on a day to day basis by a constant vigilance and awareness.  Like a watchman on the wall,  scouting out across the horizons...eagle eye ready for the food offenders.

Family members who love the recovering alcoholic will make sure the house is swept clean of all of the booze.  Those who love the recovering food addict will eat their lemon stuffed oreos and multi-crap flying down the highway or out behind the barn.  They'll go to dairy queen and tank up on their blizzards there.   

Thanksgiving is just UP around the bend.  There will be all of the usual suspects.  I'm ever-ready and consciously aware and vigilant. There's really nothing to worry about because I don't care about donuts or pastries, pies or cakes.  I have my game plan and I know how to surf. 

You see, I'll make a fresh  and wonderful Waldorf salad with beautiful fruit and nuts and mayo. There won't be anything in there to marsh my mellow.  A Waldorf salad is made with celery, apples, grapes, nuts and mayo.  I prefer pomegranate to grapes.  It's more colorful and festive. 

We celebrate Thanksgiving and give thanks for all of creation, high and low. 

I use fruit for a condiment and nuts for a decoration. It's always kept me sane and satisfied. I will be food sober and alive.   

My neighbor showed me a photo on his camera that he took of me on their couch with his wife.  I threw all BEFORE photos away.  It floored me. I could see where I've come from. It scared the hail right outta me. I look like I was going to croak and I felt like it. 

I'm not going back there.   

I think of exercise as emergency prevention. When I need to hook it UP and head on down the trail at a fast clip, I can do it. When I need to help hoist someone into an ambulance.  I can do that, too.

I've thrown away too many gym memberships to make mention of. It was always a waste of my good hard-earned money. I cannot live a gerbil wheel existence.  Running on the dread-mill and lifting weights amongst all of the sweaty bodies that will not wash the equipment and gear off. Yuck, I need a bucket. 

So I follow my own arrow.  I find exercise that I enjoy and do all of it on my own terms.  Nobody puts baby in a corner.  

One of my heroes is a female first responder, EMT.  She has to work out more than her male counterparts for so many reasons.  To prove she can cut the mustard and protect her back. Her exercise has a purpose.  It's not for vanity or striking a pose. It's meaningful with honest value.

She strong and intelligent, sizing up rapid trauma assessments with accuracy.  You want her in your corner in an emergency.  Strong really is the new beautiful.  Strong, fit and capable.  

Search and Rescue, immediate life hazards - vehicle accidents, heart and strokes, bear maulings...the sky is not the limit of what her day will bring her. She saved my mother.  She's my hero.

Thinking of exercise as an emergency prevention motivates me.  It holds a greater purpose than constantly looking at myself in the mirror like my pet parakeet does. You're so vain, Tweetie, you probably think this song is about you, don't you.  You silly, silly bird.

I can jack myself UP out of couch mode in nothing flat when I think about my hero. I don't think the men are worried about having her for a partner. She's frickity frick frick awesome.

Exercise is very important.  You can't wait to start moving when all of the weight releasing is done.  Your skin will hang down to your knees like a Shar-Pei.  You've got to start moving on day one and keep moving.  You do not want to have to go into surgery to have the slabs of skin removed.  

There is a way, without weigh and whey.   Eat three meals aday and move it.  Do all of it on your own terms and find the greater purpose for it.  Someone in your family may need to you run like the wind or hoist stretchers. If there's someone lost out there in the sagebrush, you may be needed to bring them back to safety.

Great feats of bravery require being strong and fit and stable in an emergency.  There's no such thing as the Finish Line with your overall health and well being.  It doesn't exist.  

You can't drop it like it's hot and then sit back down on the couch. It doesn't work that way.  I like what Cher says.  "I'm never getting older".  "Keep Moving".  

Archived