Magnesium and Thirst?

jump4life

I am taking Natural Calm magnesium each evening, 1 tsp in 6-8 ounces of water. I love the gentle sedative effect and have had no GI issues associated with this dose.  I did calculate my magnesium  intake from food on a typical day of Whole 30 and I am low,  only about 180mg (~50% of recommended) so I do think I should continue with some kind of magnesium supplementation. 

However, I routinely wake up in the early AM because I am sooooo thirsty.   This is around 5:30, after about 7.5 hours of sleep-  when I typically have another hour before I would have to wake up.  I wake up to drink about 16 ounces of water and then go back to sleep for a bit but it is not good sleep. Seems counter productive to take the magnesium at night if it is the culprit in waking me up early. 

So since Magnesium pulls water into the gut, does it have a dehydrating effect?    I have looked at examine.com (Tom D. suggestion) and other sites but I don't find thirst/dehydration as a typical side effect.  As a note I get plenty of water through out the day- likely 100-120 ounces.  And since other strings suggested thirst could be related to low sodium/electrolyte intake,  I also checked my potassium (~2700mg) and sodium (~2100mg/day)  and they seem OK. 

Any suggestions or new ways to investigate this appreciated! 

• Moderators

I wake up with a dry mouth throughout the night, but figured it was an effect of breathing through my mouth in my sleep. My sinuses are often stuffy. I have been taking Natural Calm every night since 2010. I am interested in this question. On good nights, I go back to sleep easily. On bad nights, I am restless after my first time waking. 

It might be related with the amount of salt and also the amount of carbohydrates you're taking, daily. If it's not usual throughout the day, you might want to review your last meal. You're probably adding too much salt and/or too much low glycemic carbs. Waiting your feedback.

Thanks Pedro Pinto-    

For  the one day where I tracked,  my sodium  is about 2100mg total in the day and divided 600mg M1, 600mg M2, 800mg M3.     My potassium intake is about 2700mg total with 450mg at  M1, 960mg at  M2 and 1280 mg at M3.    At this particular M3 I had plantains which had almost 700mg of potassium,  so this might be a high day for potassium.    My total carbs for the day were 94gm.    I am logging my meals here:   http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/21201-jump4lifes-whole30-log-15/

• 3 weeks later...
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

I've been taking Mg for years.  I've never had a thirst issue.  You said no stool issues.. your idea about water being pulled into the gut seems like a possible explanation if you were having loose stools.  But, if you aren't.... 

Have you tried tapering your dose?  I got a friend hooked on magnesium and she was taking 1/4 tsp at night with good effect.

Also - for me personally, when I'm too low carb I am CRAZY thirsty.  Is this way of eating a big change for you in terms of carb intake?  Just another idea.

Archived