Help! Whole30 and Vacation (Las Vegas?)

JKLion

Hi everyone,

My name is Jenna, and I have attempted to complete at least four Whole30s but have been unsuccessful. I attempted to do multiple whole30s during my accelerated honors nursing program which was high stress and emotionally taxing.  This was probably not the best idea, but I just wanted to feel better and lose weight.   I am currently struggling with an eating disorder for which I am seeing a psychologist.  I am excited, but also nervous for this whole30 because I am afraid I might succumb to temptation or a binge before I get to the end.

First off, I would love some thoughts/idea/suggestions about starting a whole30 today.  I have two trips coming up that are centered around alcohol...do you guys think it is a good idea to try and adhere to a whole 30?  Should I just wait until I come back from the trips? 

Secondly, this might be too much, but if there is anyone else out there struggling with an eating disorder and trying to stay whole30- contact me! I would love a buddy that I can contact who knows the struggle and we can support each other!

Lastly, I would greatly appreciate someone's advice on how to deal with the desire for sugar, cookies, etc.  I have tried to scour the forum, but I am looking for specifics about this battle for someone with an eating disorder...I feel like the deprivation is so powerful, and I have a hard time with the logical thought that "it's unhealthy" or "sugar is poison" when I am in those moments to reach for it and ruin my whole30.  

Lastly, thank you to everyone on this forum who is helpful, supportive, and vulnerable- what a special community.

Best,
Jenna

Hi everyone,

My name is Jenna, and I have attempted to complete at least four Whole30s but have been unsuccessful. I attempted to do multiple whole30s during my accelerated honors nursing program which was high stress and emotionally taxing.  This was probably not the best idea, but I just wanted to feel better and lose weight.   I am currently struggling with an eating disorder for which I am seeing a psychologist.  I am excited, but also nervous for this whole30 because I am afraid I might succumb to temptation or a binge before I get to the end.

First off, I would love some thoughts/idea/suggestions about starting a whole30 today.  I have two trips coming up that are centered around alcohol- Las Vegas, esp!...do you guys think it is a good idea to try and adhere to a whole 30?  Should I just wait until I come back from the trips? 

Secondly, this might be too much, but if there is anyone else out there struggling with an eating disorder and trying to stay whole30- contact me! I would love a buddy that I can contact who knows the struggle and we can support each other!

Lastly, I would greatly appreciate someone's advice on how to deal with the desire for sugar, cookies, etc.  I have tried to scour the forum, but I am looking for specifics about this battle for someone with an eating disorder...I feel like the deprivation is so powerful, and I have a hard time with the logical thought that "it's unhealthy" or "sugar is poison" when I am in those moments to reach for it and ruin my whole30.  

Lastly, thank you to everyone on this forum who is helpful, supportive, and vulnerable- what a special community.

Best,
Jenna

• Moderators

Doing a Whole30 is not always the right choice for someone with an eating disorder. Here are our recommendations in this situation: http://whole30.com/2014/06/dear-melissa-eating-disorders/

My approach to eating on plan is to stay mindful that good choices for me are meat, veggies, fruit, and certain fats. Cookies aren't good enough for me. :)

You should discuss with your psychologist/therapist about doing a Whole 30 - depending on what type of ED you have, this may just be another extension of it.

If, however, you decide to proceed, maybe spend the time leading up to your trips eating Whole 30 compliant so that you get in to the swing of the meal template, etc, and then do a full Whole 30 once you return.

Archived