Too much fat...?

I was sitting at the hairdressers last night, and was flicking through Women's Health Magazine.  I am a little panicked about how many times it stated NOT to have a diet which included fats, and specifically mentioned ghee and coconut oil (both of which I'd not heard of previous to starting the whole30).

I am on day 10, and I'm worried that I'm eating the wrong things by doing so much cooking in fat and oil....I'm really beginning to doubt myself!!

:( :(

• Moderators

Women's Health Magazine is repeating the advice that has seen the United States become the fattest country in the world. In contrast, the Whole30 delivers great results. You can only ruin a Whole30 by trying to make it match up with the conventional wisdom of our culture. Don't try. 

Do you have a copy of It Starts with Food?  There is an entire chapter in there explaining about the right fats, the benefits of becoming fat-adapted, and dispels several myths about saturated fat. One key point is that the harmful kind of saturated fat comes from eating too many refined carbohydrates, of which there are none on the Whole30.  Ghee and coconut oil are considered healthy saturated fats, from a Whole30 perspective, as they come from real food.  

I encourage you to hang in there, give it the 30 days, follow the meal template for each meal, and test for yourself what kind of results you have at the end.  If you want to ensure you're on the right track, post 2-3 days worth of your meals, including daily water intake, exercise routine, and nightly hours of sleep. Folks here can then give you feedback on possible tweaks.

Thanks, all. I'm maybe just beginning to notice things now. There was a tv programme on about healthy eating and it spoke about coconuts being the latest 'fad' ingredient for diets. I don't FEEL like I'm on a fad diet and I aim to give it the 30 days (what's 30 days, right?) but I don't want to damage my health either!

You won't damage your heath eating real food for 30 days. I think they should add some other eliminations to the whole30. No TV commercials and NO magazines. The next time you watch TV see how many adds are for food. Either the ad is for a restaurant or the ad is for food they want you to buy. Then they have ads for diet pills or lawyers suing diet pill companies. Listen to your body, if you feel good eating coconut then eat it, if you feel too full or it doesn't work for you than try another fat. Good Luck!

"You won't damage your heath eating real food for 30 days. I think they should add some other eliminations to the whole30. No TV commercials and NO magazines."

Thanks, Tina. I am hoping to eat real food for a lot longer than 30 days as otherwise there would be very little point, no?  My body felt good eating chocolate, so it's maybe legitimate asking about the amount of saturated fats recommended, especially when someone with a PhD warns about the dangers of coconut oil.  I also only go to hairdressers  every three months (my one time I get to sit down and read a magazine) and it was the words coconut oil which caught my ears on the television which was on whilst I was working at my computer.   Usually, the sports channel is on 24/7 as I have two teenage sons, so no tv would cause a revolt ;)

I do enjoy the taste both ghee and coconut oil. I don't know how I would know if they didn't work for me. Would I put on weight? Be sick? It is the health side of things I was asking about really. 

My weight is currently fine and I've been gluten and caffeine free for over a year. I NEVER fry food, always grill so this has been a real change. The reason for doing the whole30 was to become healthier as I suffer from horrible headaches and tiredeness (the joys of being a single mum and working two jobs).

I appreciate all your replies and support.

Archived