Napping

Shanna

Day 11 and the midday slump has become the midday coma! I started the W30 mainly to find solutions to my fatigue: I am 45, not overweight, and have always had the typical "healthy diet" described in ISWF. While I usually lie down and rest for a few minutes in the afternoon, since I began the W30, I have been sleeping very hard for an hour or so, and it's difficult to wake up. I do not have trouble sleeping at night (never have), getting 8 hours or more. Previous blood tests have ruled out thyroid issues. Any ideas? I'm still waiting for Tiger Blood!

Shanna, I too, am very tired. I wish I could lay down in the afternoon. I just finished day 12 and I keep telling myself, I'm tired cuz my body is working so hard to get healthy from my years of poor eating choices.

I'm with you... waiting for Tiger Blood and 'magic'

• Moderators

Day 11 and the midday slump has become the midday coma! I started the W30 mainly to find solutions to my fatigue: I am 45, not overweight, and have always had the typical "healthy diet" described in ISWF. While I usually lie down and rest for a few minutes in the afternoon, since I began the W30, I have been sleeping very hard for an hour or so, and it's difficult to wake up. I do not have trouble sleeping at night (never have), getting 8 hours or more. Previous blood tests have ruled out thyroid issues. Any ideas? I'm still waiting for Tiger Blood!

Shanna, I too, am very tired. I wish I could lay down in the afternoon. I just finished day 12 and I keep telling myself, I'm tired cuz my body is working so hard to get healthy from my years of poor eating choices.

I'm with you... waiting for Tiger Blood and 'magic'

You should both list what you're eating, how much water you're getting, exercise, anything else that might be a factor, and see if anyone has any suggestions of things you can tweak to give you more energy. Sometimes people believe they're eating enough when in reality they really aren't, and sometimes people may go too low carb, but if you list what you've been eating, I'm sure someone will weigh in on things that might help.

Thanks Shannon, I am willing to do that. 

I did realize yesterday that I am eating too many fats. I was using nuts as protein not fats, oops. 

Anyway, here is what I ate yesterday and this a typical day for me this week. 

Breakfast: 2 eggs with a half of large sweet potato. Egg was fried in olive oil

snack: I know, I could resist...... cashews, and dried apricots..... I do recognize I am eating because of boredom and timing on this one. I need to change this

Lunch: Salad: handful of blueberries, half of apple, cherry tomatoes, coconut flakes, half of chicken breast and mis of spinach and spring greens. No dressing needed

Snack: belly was hungry so I ate 2 hard boiled eggs. 

Dinner: Spaghetti squash with approved olive oil and seasoning salt, cherry tomatoes, and hamburger and chicken sausage cut up into bite sizes. 

Felt bloated and fatigued all day. But I did start back to work this week, which alters my day a lot. Sleeping solid at night and waking up with alarm in morning. Lots of bad habits to get rid of.

Here's yesterday's menu:

Meal 1: start the day with water instead of coffee, two eggs scrambled with peppers, onions, zucchini, potatoes, and mushrooms, and a slice of honeydew

Meal 2: pineapple chili on a baked potato

Meal3/post-coma snack: apple slices with sun butter

Meal 4: Chipotle grilled chicken with whole sweet potato and peppers, onions, mushrooms.

It is usually a solid 8 hours of sleep a night, but last night it was fitful due to back ache. I get very little exercise because of the fatigue, but before it started (about a year ago), I was briskly walking several miles a day.

Thanks Shannon, I am willing to do that. 

I did realize yesterday that I am eating too many fats. I was using nuts as protein not fats, oops. 

Anyway, here is what I ate yesterday and this a typical day for me this week. 

Breakfast: 2 eggs with a half of large sweet potato. Egg was fried in olive oil

snack: I know, I could resist...... cashews, and dried apricots..... I do recognize I am eating because of boredom and timing on this one. I need to change this

Lunch: Salad: handful of blueberries, half of apple, cherry tomatoes, coconut flakes, half of chicken breast and mis of spinach and spring greens. No dressing needed

Snack: belly was hungry so I ate 2 hard boiled eggs. 

Dinner: Spaghetti squash with approved olive oil and seasoning salt, cherry tomatoes, and hamburger and chicken sausage cut up into bite sizes. 

Felt bloated and fatigued all day. But I did start back to work this week, which alters my day a lot. Sleeping solid at night and waking up with alarm in morning. Lots of bad habits to get rid of.

You are not eating enough is the short answer. I also see a lot of fruit and nuts. The former can lead to spikes of energy and fatigue especially when eaten between meals and the latter can lead to bloating for many people.

Here would be my suggestions to tweek the meals you posted.

Meal 1 - Add 1-2 additional eggs. A serving of eggs is as many whole eggs as you can hold without dropping them. Unless your hands are child sized 2 is probably not enough. I'm 5'4" and I eat 4 eggs almost every morning. I would also maybe add some coconut oil/butter or ghee to your sweet potato and add another serving of non starchy vegetables. Perhaps scramble your eggs with sauteed spinach or kale. You might also consider trying to have your starchy vegetables later in the day as some people have energy issues when those are eaten at the first meal. Your mileage may vary this is a self experimentation type of thing. With a larger breakfast you are most likely not going to need/want that first snack.

Meal 2 - Again not enough protein I'm guessing. I know half a chicken breast is not enough for me. This meal looks a bit low in fat as well. Chicken breast is very lean. How much coconut flakes did you add?

Your 2nd snack was actually a really good choice. We suggest when you are really hungry having a mini meal that has protein and fat and maybe veg. 2 hard boiled eggs fits the bill.

Meal 3 - Doesn't look too bad but hard to tell on the portions. How much olive oil did you use. Did you use 2 whole sausages? 

Summary - Increase your protein and probably fat and vegs too at meals and lay off fruit and nuts for a few days and see if that helps.

Here's yesterday's menu:

Meal 1: start the day with water instead of coffee, two eggs scrambled with peppers, onions, zucchini, potatoes, and mushrooms, and a slice of honeydew

Meal 2: pineapple chili on a baked potato

Meal3/post-coma snack: apple slices with sun butter

Meal 4: Chipotle grilled chicken with whole sweet potato and peppers, onions, mushrooms.

It is usually a solid 8 hours of sleep a night, but last night it was fitful due to back ache. I get very little exercise because of the fatigue, but before it started (about a year ago), I was briskly walking several miles a day.

I'm going to give you similar advice. You need to eat more protein at meal one and I'm guessing at meal 2 and 3 as well, hard to gage your portion sizes on those too. Where is your fat coming from (aside from the sun butter). Your meal 3 doesn't fit the recommendation of a mini meal. Try to keep fruit to part of a full meal only and if you must have a mini meal then have protein and fat and veg. Sun butter is a fat. Try upping your protein and fat and limiting your fruit for the next couple of days. If you could get some walking in maybe in the morning this actually might help with your afternoon fatigue as well. Nothing super stressful just go outside and move and enjoy it.

Annnd...just woke up from a 3 hour nap!!! I slept 9 hours last night; had two eggs and leftover roasted potatoes & carrots and a slice of honeydew for breakfast; had 2 very large bowls of soup loaded with vegs & ground beef. This is crazy.

I assumed that I had enough fat in the ground beef and evoo the vegs were sautéed in. Will try to get more good fats in - said as I'm eating an enormous salad with avocado, olives, and evoo and chicken burger. I just can't stomach any more eggs, though. I did feel better yesterday: no nap! Thanks again for getting back to me.

I assumed that I had enough fat in the ground beef and evoo the vegs were sautéed in. Will try to get more good fats in - said as I'm eating an enormous salad with avocado, olives, and evoo and chicken burger. I just can't stomach any more eggs, though. I did feel better yesterday: no nap! Thanks again for getting back to me.

If you don't want more eggs then add some other protein to your first meal.

Thanks for the help. I was out of town the last few days and put your suggestions into action. I skipped the snacks altogether and accepted it as tough love and an old habit to break. I also limited my nuts. 

As a result, I did not have the bloated blah feeling and was not nearly as tired. 

At this point, I cannot add more to my meals as I am very full at the end of each meal to the point I can barely swallow  the last few bites. But I am working to change up the meals more protein, less fruit, and switch around my veggies. 

I appreciate the suggestions. 

This is very useful advice. I'm only on day two and am currently snack free (very hard habit to break) but its leaving me so tired I napped at lunchtime, and am barely doing any work this afternoon. 

Hopefully I will bounce back from the carb flu soon if I dont give in to it and go back to fruit and nut grazing!

Archived