September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kerbi - thanks - I am in NJ, but I will check the whole foods in Madison when I am out that way on Monday.  It is a haul to get to the closest Whole foods, so I work it in when I am in that area.  I live in the NorthWest portion of the state that is very rural.  If they don't have it, I will come home via the route that takes me past Kings to see if they may have something. 

I feel that once I can get into a real pattern, this will be easier. 

I don't think I have ever cooked this much in my life.  Was just thinking on what to make for dinner tonight and was very happy to see that we have enough taco meat left over to make taco salads or lettuce cups.  At least the dishes tonight will be a bit less! 

Puffinmuffins - I totally get your exasperation regarding the dishes and clean up! 

fgermain - glad to hear I'm not alone with the rash.  Keep me posted on yours!  Also - though I am bloated as in my stomach feels poofed out and full - I also am having the runs.  tmi?  

On a positive note, an acquaintance of mine that I see roughly once a week saw me today and told me I look so good, healthy and rested.  She didn't know I was doing any thing differently - so that made me feel good!!!  

LOL not TMI,.   having the same experience, but thankfully not daily!  The rash on my forhead, eyelids, and basically, the whole upper half of my face, when flared up, is bright red, and painful to the touch, strange? 

Hello all,

Yesterday was a difficult day for me.  I had a headache for most of the day and was feeling pretty anxious so food choices were more difficult to choose.  I also still don't really have an appetite, so I ate some of my soup for breakfast, then just a larabar for lunch, then a kombucha, and then after I went to yoga finally ate some cauli rice and meatballs at like 8:30pm along with some pistachios and sweet potato rounds.  Even after I got back from yoga I wasn't hungry but ate dinner anyway!  It's craziness.  

Anyway, today is going alright.  My job is ramping up in stress but I am sticking to the plan.  Had soup again for breakfast and am having a guava kombucha now (yum).  No workout today, but cleaning the damn overused kitchen and the rest of the house is definitely in order.  

Good Afternoon all!  Day 11 is happening.

Well, my burning desire to have what others have came true this a.m.,,,,,Bloat City!  and Gas!!!! I blew up my bedroom..... :ph34r:  feel better now...whew.

I've been thinking about the whole "starting over" and our body needing 30 days to reprogram.  I feel defeated starting over, but NOT defeated by extending my 30 days to 40 days. (the cx sausage I ate on day 9 had cheese in eat, read the label, but was so preoccupied looking for sugar, didn't see the dang cheese, of course it wasn't on the front of the label :angry:) So, on I go.....

LibbyHunter-my sisters friend uses sweetpotatoes and/or compliant French fries for fuel for running. I remember reading Melissa info. saying not to use sugar for fuel, but maybe the nuts in the Larabar adds a touch of protein and not too bad a sugar rush?

KristinMarta-I feel ya on the burn out of certain foods..I'm done with chicken for awhile.  My first 7-8 days I wasn't very organized and I was eating Cx on a pile of mixed salad grns.  Green olives(if you like them) are a great treat for the pallate. I made an incredible Herb/Veggie tuna with Oil and RedWine Ving. if you're willing to try tuna another way......basically chop up what veggies you like, i did celeray,onion,carrot, and red radishes for a change, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste....

Jordanbrook- keep your chin-up honey! B)

I cooked like mad the last two days.....whew!  yes, Lots of dishes!! 

listing our meals is a good idea...

day 11 breakfast-choc. chili with fried egg on top, fresh tomatoes and a whole english cucumber

lunch will be- seasoned Salmon steak, on shredded cabbage/ slaw type mix, with fennel(thanks Ladyshanny!)

dinner will be-oven(crockpot) braised mexican beef with butternut squash.

have a great rest of the day...I'm working today and tomorrow so may not check-in tonight

Today was better...less bloated though have been amusing the 6 year old with the gassiness (Mama doesn't do it as ladies do not and it was drilled into us in ettiquette classes at school...but today...!!)

I took off my dark nail varnish which hadn't chipped after 5 days and my nails are not only hard as a rock (they used to bend) but for the first time in my life I only have white patches towards the tips. None are growing in at all. Seems small but it's really massive to me somehow!

Ventre123 -  is the coffee ghee coconut milk like bulletproof coffee? Is anyone else doing bulletproof coffee? I keep hearing about it. Butter and coffee together sounds pretty wild, I can't imagine it. I'm curious!

Daffodil - the only coconut water I've ever had that was AMAZING is the fresh coconut water from a young thai coconut. Not from a bottle. They have to pasteurize it to preserve it, so it kills the flavor entirely. Whole Foods and lots of other markets sell the actual coconut. Many are already cracked open, or you can watch a video on now to open easily on youtube. It's pretty easy to open (ok with practice!) if you follow the "easy open" videos. Throw a straw in and enjoy cold. It's amazing.  I hate the jarred stuff, I can't drink it.

puffinsmuffins - where did the deconstructed samosa recipe come from? That sounds awesome! I love Indian food!!  I can't wait to try everyone's recipes, I'm so glad people are posting. I'm pretty sick of my cooking. I seem to have plane chicken breast with the same seasoning and a salad or sautéed greens most nights. Boring!  

I have a bunch of events this weekend, but this time I'm not at all stressing about the food and drinks available. I've oddly lost interest in anything that doesn't suit this diet. I was at a book club meeting last night with food and wine. I didn't even glance at the food options. And the wine on people's breath smelled to me like sadness and regret, rather than enticing sweet, smokey, oak-aged fermented vines. What's happening to me?! LOL.

One of my favorite things about being more than a third of the way through, is the morning energy. I get up earlier, have more energy, and am finally able to get up and exercise before work!

This is going to be my first week doing longer runs where I'll probably bring a larabar. I'm hoping the sugar in that doesn't send me over the top. I am a total sugar-junkie. I'm the "can't eat just one" type, so while I need the portable fuel, I'm hoping this won't be a diet destroyer for me.

Anyone have any other portable running or exercise fuel they use that isn't super sugary? I'd love some advice~

Have a great day, everyone!  

ventre123 here-yes that's the bullet coffee. give it a try...it's better than it sounds and much better than black coffee if you are used to drinking it with cream or milk. 

Ventre123 -  is the coffee ghee coconut milk like bulletproof coffee? Is anyone else doing bulletproof coffee? I keep hearing about it. Butter and coffee together sounds pretty wild, I can't imagine it. I'm curious!

Daffodil - the only coconut water I've ever had that was AMAZING is the fresh coconut water from a young thai coconut. Not from a bottle. They have to pasteurize it to preserve it, so it kills the flavor entirely. Whole Foods and lots of other markets sell the actual coconut. Many are already cracked open, or you can watch a video on now to open easily on youtube. It's pretty easy to open (ok with practice!) if you follow the "easy open" videos. Throw a straw in and enjoy cold. It's amazing.  I hate the jarred stuff, I can't drink it.

puffinsmuffins - where did the deconstructed samosa recipe come from? That sounds awesome! I love Indian food!!  I can't wait to try everyone's recipes, I'm so glad people are posting. I'm pretty sick of my cooking. I seem to have plane chicken breast with the same seasoning and a salad or sautéed greens most nights. Boring!  

I have a bunch of events this weekend, but this time I'm not at all stressing about the food and drinks available. I've oddly lost interest in anything that doesn't suit this diet. I was at a book club meeting last night with food and wine. I didn't even glance at the food options. And the wine on people's breath smelled to me like sadness and regret, rather than enticing sweet, smokey, oak-aged fermented vines. What's happening to me?! LOL.

One of my favorite things about being more than a third of the way through, is the morning energy. I get up earlier, have more energy, and am finally able to get up and exercise before work!

This is going to be my first week doing longer runs where I'll probably bring a larabar. I'm hoping the sugar in that doesn't send me over the top. I am a total sugar-junkie. I'm the "can't eat just one" type, so while I need the portable fuel, I'm hoping this won't be a diet destroyer for me.

Anyone have any other portable running or exercise fuel they use that isn't super sugary? I'd love some advice~

Have a great day, everyone!  

Try the coffee & ghee. It's better than it sounds and better than black coffee if you are used to having cream/milk. It definitley extends the caffien effect for the whole morning. I know it sounds crazy-but give it a go and let me know what you think. Oh-I added the coconut milk to the official recipe-just to make it a bit creamier. You can do it any way you like :D

Hey all my day 11 peeps!! I dodged more cakes and cupcakes today than I can tell you! No cakes, cookies or cupcakes for this girl! Yay!

Breakfast: Aidell's chicken apple sausage with sauerkraut, banana, and coffee with coconut milk... I couldn't help but think on my way to work (shhhhhh.... I eat and drive) "I wonder if the people I pass are thinking 'is that lady eating sauerkraut for breakfast?'" Then I kind of giggled to myself and thought I don't care what they think, I'm doing what's right for me today!

Lunch: leftover deconstructed taco consisting of Boston lettuce, pico de gallo, compliant taco meat, and Valentina hot sauce, olives, apple with almond butter. I had brought an avocado but when I cut it open it was black and yucky inside. Boo. I had some cashews too. Maybe a little too much fat in lunch today?

Dinner: sautéed shrimp and peppers and onions with cayenne pepper and garlic and put that over a baked potato. Super filling but lacking something... Might need to try a different spice next time.

I feel really good today and that means it's time to go assemble my son's new dresser from IKEA. Wish me luck!!

Hey Everyone, 

I read the posts but can't remember who said what...so just bear with me :) 

Whoever asked about the coffee - I tried the bulletproof coffee idea and while it tasted okay I hated the oily texture.  So I've been drinking black coffee brewed with a scoop of raw cacao powder and a bit of cinnamon in the grounds.  It's so rich and dark and flavourful! 

I tried the p.f. chang's chicken knock off tonight and it was fantastic!!  I just replaced the honey with 2 chopped up dates and I also just used coconut vinegar (that I bought for those short ribs) instead of the wine vinegar.  It was so good!  

A lady came over today to bring my kids a crap load of baking - 3 dozen cookies and a dozen tarts.  WOW! I have had zero temptation these past 11 or 12 days or whatever it is but tonight with those cookies staring in my face, I was a little bit squirrelly lol!!  I finally moved them to the cupboard where I couldn't see them.  I was thinking of putting them in the freezer, but I actually want them gone by the time I'm done my whole 60 so that I'm not tempted when I'm off this either.  

For me - I found nitrate/sugar free bacon around the corner from me at an Italian market.  They sell a local, ethically raised pork there and literally the only ingredients are pork, salt.  It's so awesome!!  

And I agree with others about the larabars, I have a sugar problem and these do not cause any problems whatsoever with me.  I only have one if I am away too long without compliant food or am really hungry and it will be a while till I can eat - and I never ever feel tempted to eat more than I need.  My favorites are the coconut/date one and the cashew/date one.  Very good!

For the first time in my life I had canned salmon without mayo...  I used balsamic vinegar, olive oil and dijon mustard and had it over greens and it tasted pretty darn good actually.  

I'm not feeling bloated today which is so nice!!  so so so nice!  

Hey guys! Happy day 11, almost 12!

I'll start off by saying I had chocolate chili for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That happens when you cook for one :). I didn't mind, it was amazing. Breakfast with avocado, lunch with greens and dinner with spaghetti squash. I will say that having spaghetti squash with chili made me feel so guilty, like I was having a huge pasta plate at an italian restaurant. I absolutely can't believe half of that dish was veggies!

I've decided it's time to revisit my goals. Here goes: 

- Keep a food log! I was lazy about it the first time and really wish I had done it - Not really. Pretty much failed miserably. It worked for 5 days.. then.. I stopped. Still eating compliant, and sticking to 3 meals a day pretty much with no snacks. My excuse is that the little time I have online, I'd much rather read our forum, but that's not a great excuse. 

- Stick to the template everyday, not just 'most days' - I'll say that 8 out of the 11 days have been pretty much to the template. The other days, meals lacked some veggies, or some protein. 

- Keep fruit intake to less than 2 a day... for real this time - Also, so much better this time around. Some days I have only had one piece of fruit (!!!). Last time I spaced them out throughout the day and they were my guilty pleasure. I absolutely indulged in something "sweet" with them. It also helped that I found a worm in my blackberries from whole foods and was turned off berries for some time (sorry!) so I'm sticking to apples/bananas. 

- No larabars! - So far so good! I saw them the other day at the grocery store and thought "perfect... I'm so hungry.. and they're compliant!" but then I remembered our goals so did not buy them. (There is nothing wrong with them, they were just a terrible crutch for me and during my last whole 30). 

Recap:

Overall now I'm feeling good but it might just be that I'm so darn proud of myself for keeping it up. Not sure about body changes - I think I'm bloated, but can also tell it's not the same kind of fat, so I think things are redistributing. Energy is probably better? Sleep is fantastic, almost too much. No tiger blood yet. 

For those of you looking for better sausage options, I mixed up some Italian Sausage seasoning with ground pork. No wonky additives in it. I keep it uncooked in my fridge and cook some up to mix with my egg and veggie hash in the morning. Here's the link to the recipe: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/04/07/spice-world/

Day12 for me today. Feel good and have had no problem staying on track today despite my teenager bringing home a pizza. :-)

Happy day 12 (or later for some of you!)

This morning I finally have a small victory. I work in the schools, and we are allowed to wear jeans on Friday. The last two weeks, my jeans have been uncomfortably tight to be able to wear.  This morning - victory!!  I can't say the fit is perfect, but at least I can wear them without feeling like I'm going to pass out a any minute!! That is my motivation for today!

Hope everyone has a great weekend and stay strong!

Today is day 13 for me and I really needed a cup of coffee.  Have been having just tea with or without coconut milk because the thought of coffee without cream is just not appealing.  But I needed the coffee, so I made a cup and put in coconut oil and coconut milk.  I was able to drink it, but will leave this for when I REALLY feel I need it.  Would rather stick with my tea.  After all, Chai with coconut is like a chai latte for me and very indulgent. 

I have been keeping a food diary that also includes when I ate and how I felt before and after.  I am considering this whole process as a self discovery starting with a big change in my eating habits. 

Yesterday was the first day that I had lunch outside of the home.  Went to Red Robin which is not known for healthy food. But I was able to get a salad with dry grilled (did not trust their seasoning or what oil they used), hard boiled egg, avocado, tomato and black olives.  Had them bring the oil and vinegar, but the salad really did not need it.  My friend had a burger and sweet potato fries (which if I was on any other eating plan I would have had a few).  The great thing was that I really was not tempted to stray and have what she was having.  I just concentrated on how I know that meal would have made me feel. 

Did have compliant breakfast sausage this morning with scrambled eggs.  It was a great change of pace from the eggs with veggies. 

My largest challenge is my dog!  She has been going nuts with all the good foods I have been making.  The cooking smells are really making her crazy!  LOL.

Morning all!  The last two days I've done salad for breakfast because I ran out of the frittata muffins and it's been a nice change.  I'm also loving my hot tea with coconut milk in it!  I don't feel AS bloated today and got a pair of jeans on with no drama (though I haven't even tried in a couple of months because of fear they may not fit!)  so that's a small victory.  However, I just had an acne breakout on my left cheek yesterday out of nowhere and with no warning!  I have always had adult acne and just finished two months ago with a five month course of Accutane and haven't had a breakout since then until yesterday!  I'm just hoping this is the "it gets worse before it gets better part" for my skin.

Tonight is my company's annual softball game!  We rent out an athletic complex and play against our sister company and the losing side donates a large sum to Alzheimer's Association.  The kicker is that the concession stand is totally free for everyone all night.  I know that no taffy or beer or hot dog could tempt me to go off plan, but it really is going to suck bringing my own food or just watching everyone else partake while I eat my leftovers.  If I could, I'd eat before and just bring my own beverage (La Croix in coconut flavor is the BEST!) but I'm on the committee which means I'll be at the fields setting up today beginning at 2:30pm without a break until it ends at 9.  I'm actually dreading this (though, to be fair, I didn't look forward to it when I "could" eat the crap food, so it's not really the Whole30 ruining it for me - it's just one more thing on top of all the other things!)

However, on a positive note - all the food I've been making has been delicious!  My husband even commented the other day that he'd never even notice I was doing anything different if he didn't know about before!  He's enjoying the recipes as much as I am!  My favorites this week were the Chicken in Tarragon Cream sauce from ITWF and Nom Nom Paleo's Peruvian Roasted Chicken with Aji Verde and Platanos Maduros (which was one of my favorite dishes prior to this plan, so it felt indulgent even though everything is 100% compliant!)  I also served that one with a heaping salad and the Aji Verde is so good on EVERYTHING that I"ve been using it as a dressing or dipping sauce to entice me to eat more veggies.  I'm dying to try the chocolate chili, so that might be a weekend project for me so that I have lunches!

How do you guys get the veggies in when you eat chili?  Over a sweet potato?  With a side salad?  I love veggies, but I find that it's the hardest thing for me to scrounge up when I'm making meals for lunch.  Do those of you who roast veggies ahead of time like the texture of them reheated?  Are they mushy?  I just don't want to roast a lot with good intentions and then hate them.  Thoughts?  Tips?

You guys have really kept me going!!  Thanks!

Jordanbrook - I love taco salads and having chili over a bed of fresh spinach or lettuce with extra veggies is my favorite way to have the chili as well as include extra veggies. 

In addition, I tend to add more veggies in almost each recipe.  If I am making a stew, I will add more of what ever veggies it calls for.  Heck, even before Whole 30, I would add a peas and carrot mixture (from frozen) into my sloppy joes or fried rice.  I have done this for years to reduce the calories in a dish and increase the full factor - it also worked to stretch the budget. 

I will be making the chili sometime next week.  I plan to also cook some potatoes to have with it.  Either that or a bed of fresh spinach - yum!

Here's a link for a video on how to make the Bulletproof coffee or coffee w Ghee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP8V3EB8OA8#t=37

She adds coconut oil and ghee. I've made it with just ghee and with ghee plus coconut milk ...I think it adds a bit of creaminess (I've never tried it with coconut oil because it sometimes gives me a stomach ache).

When you blend it together it comes out really frothy-very appealing. I usually nuke it for a few seconds because sometimes blending cools it down a bit more than I like it. 

The caffien kick definitley lasts the whole morning and the fat fills you up so you may not even be hungry for breakfast (big bonus!)

Give it a try. 

It's not half & half, but it's better than black coffeee and even though it sounds weird, it's really OK!

Good morning,

This group has been great - last night my husband asked me if something was "normal" and I said "yes - other people on the forum have had it to" - plus the idea and the support - so thank you everyone I don't know if I could have done it without you and my friend who is on it with me.

Today I actually had eggs - I had to stay home to clean an unspeakable mess up so my husband took the kids to school and I made myself eggs, bacon and zucchini.  Plus my coffee.

Last night I was about the make those damn cranberry turkey meatballs (I've been trying to make them for days - but first the store didn't have cream of tartar (wed), then when I got home last night the cream of tartar my husband went out and got at 11pm my kittens knocked off the counter and shattered so he had to go out again) - so this weekend.  But I did make a recipe I usually make and just modified it - a Mark Bittman curry chicken and cauliflower one (it usually has chick peas) - it was pretty good and it had veggies and fat and protein so I felt template satisfied (and with leftovers).

Today I have to go out for a birthday lunch - I looked at the menu online and I think I'll get a salad and be ok (but I brought leftovers just in case).

Jordanbrook - veggies for lunch - I like (and I don't always succeed) to have leftover veggies handy - so for roasted meat or chili half a sweet potato (although for chili I think a regular potato would work better) or leftover cauliflower rice and it heats up just fine.  Also make a tray of roasted veggies and just throw some in a lunch (that's what I try to do - again try is the key word here).  I have not tried reheated zucchini noodles yet.

This weekend is Well Fed's ketchup (for my brisket next week) and sunshine sauce (because damn if that doesn't look good) any other suggestions for a non-spicy fabulous dish?

OK-I have not suffered too many cravings until yesterday afternoon...

I was so overwhelmed with a sugar/chocolate craving! It was wicked. I opted for an RX bar. It felt like a treat partly because you get to unwrap it like a candy bar (sounds crazy, but for me it's true) and also it has enough sweetness in it too. So that did it this time, but I have to say the craving is still hanging on (I can feel it just below the surface). I can't say I'm surprised. I was a huge sugar-fiend before starting this diet, so I was expecting it to happen-I just thought it would be last week...thought I was over the worst of it...

OK-so any suggestions for other options when it hits again (because I'm sure that it will). It's weird because sometimes, I'm not even hungry when I start thinking that I just want something sweet to eat. I HATE that! If I wasn't at work, I could go for a hike or something. I guess if it happens today-I'll go for a walk to see if it passes. 

Any other suggestions would be appreciated...

laxmom - can you tell me how you make your chai?  That sounds really good!! 

ventre123 I haven't had too many or too severe cravings but when I am slightly tempted I just choose a fat and/or protein.  Sometimes cashew butter and an apple does the trick.   Avocado mashed with some veggies.  I think it's good we have a few bars like larabars or whatever you had that are compliant when it's really really close to straying - but otherwise I find the fat or protein helps the craving to go away more quickly and longer term. 

I add loads of peppers (bell papers) to my chocolate chilli, at least 8, so my chilli is full of veg already. I've also been known to add mushrooms to chilli if I have some old ones that need using...

I've spent the day helping my friend move house so I've been carrying boxes up and down stairs for more than 5 hours and people kept offering me cakes and sandwiches and tins of diet coke...I didn't have any so I feel virtuous but I may cook burgers for dinner as a treat as I'm shattered now!

Clairezip - I use either Tazo Chia tea bags or a blend of Tevana's chia teas that are loose.   I love tea, so if I am in the mood to brew from loose tea, I will make that effort.   I also have an electric tea kettle that allows you to adjust the temperature of the water so that it is just right for tea.  Temp should be in the 190-200 range not boiling. 

Once the tea is made, I just add in the coconut milk and stir.  I find that the full fat coconut milk does make a froth on the top, naturally.  I tend to only use about 1/4 cup of milk in a large cup of tea, but I am the one that also likes my tea plain. 

The natural sweetness of the chai and the sweetness of the coconut milk does wonders as a treat with my breakfast. 

Some days, I combine a tea bag of the Tazo Chai and their Tazo Awake tea in a very large mug (I have one that holds 24 oz) - this makes a very large strong cup of tea.  I still only use about 1/4 cup coconut milk in that as well.  Just enough to color it and take the bitterness from over brewing away...  LOL 

Archived