September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

Day 9:

Breakfast: two hard eggs, coffee with coconut milk. I intended on eating some monkey salad as we'll once I got to work but the hospital is too busy and my doctor was ready to start rounding before I could even review all of our patients' charts. Boo.

Lunch: we had a luncheon interview today where the department management ordered everyone a lunch from Panera Bread. I planned to eat what I brought but didn't have time to warm it up before I had to be at the meeting... So it was 2:30pm before I was able to eat my coven chicken fajitas and apple with almond butter.

Dinner was delayed by grocery shopping which I tend to do on nights that my 11 year old son is at his father's house for a few hours. I did have chicken apple sausages and sauerkraut and, honestly, I'm satisfied enough that I don't feel like I need to have anything more.

I feel quite good. No abnormal bloating noted here. I do need to catch up on my water because I didn't drink enough today and I think that does help with any sort of bloating as well.

Hang in there everybody! We can do this! We are strong and we are worth it!!

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are all so on target. What a great group this is! Remember, this is a TOUGH challenge. Society, culture, and the food industry make it incredibly difficult for us to eat right. Before giving up, remember WHY you decided to start this journey. We are all making huge sacrifices and it sucks to have our clothes feel tighter as a result. Hang in there. My first Whole 30, I was in the middle of the 3rd week before I notice my body really changing. But it sure ramped up and continued to change from that point.

I saw the movie Fed Up this weekend. Have any of you seen it? It was good timing for me to have another reminder about the evils of sugar and processed food. It kept me motivated.

Keep pushing through. You've got this!

Hi everyone,

I'm joining in late but started my whole30 on sept. 7th. I had a couple of crappy days at the beginning, and still have residual cravings but I'm making it through. What's interesting to me is that I have suffered from chronic migraines for years. I had one bad headache since going whole30, but that's it. I usually have headaches every day, and migraines at least twice a week. For the past week, whenever I've had a headache it's mild and gets knocked out with just two Excedrin in a short period of time. Contrast that to pre-whole30 when my headaches would require multiple doses of aspirin and quiet time to make them subside. It's been an amazing benefit to this program.

I've also noticed my energy levels increasing and a drastic reduction in the amount of heartburn I used to get. My mind feels clearer and crisper too. All in all, the benefits I am experiencing far outweigh the negatives. I do have some bloating right now, but it's better than my migraines!

Re breakfast. I'm going to have to remember the almond butter and apple idea. That sounds like a nice break from eggs.

Re getting in enough veggies. Tonight I made this: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/

Unbelievably good, easy to make and you can get a couple of veggie servings in. I added some curry and a splash of coconut milk to the recipe because I was craving curry, but it was delicious even before I made those additions.

Glad to meet you all and I'm looking forward to continuing our journey!

Jclayton what is monkey salad? 

daffodil I am fairly new to the forum as well and started sept 6!   thanks for the soup recipe!

I'm really feeling discouraged with how bloated I am.  I am glad that I am not alone in this, and I hope that it will go away by the end like you've said Rkrzywda  

I've got a chicken in the slow cooker for over night.  I just really need a break from eggs, so hoping to use chicken throughout the day tomorrow.  Someone mentioned a chicken apple salad in a lettuce wrap - can you share that recipe please?  

Kristinmarta-hang in there. I'm feeling discouraged but not hopeless, and wasn't sure about sharing & being a downer, so thank you for sharing your struggle. My issue is, I'm not 100% focused when shopping, tired etc. & over look some noncompliant ingredients in things. It's frustrating because I'm still learning what brands are compliant so I think I'm dilegently reading labels, but get home & eat something & see NC ingredient.....ugh! I'm feeling optimistic also though. I'm physically feeling better so I know my body is having a positive response to my diet change. That alone keeps me going & I'm plannning on continuing past 30 days, because I know this is a learning process & I'm not intentionally eating NC foods. Here's to our health Kristinmarta!!

Super cute Pandas booksandcoffee! Nice distraction. After reading all the migraine & bloating situations must say I feel blessed I don't have those symptoms & am sorry so many of you do. Well day 9 under our belts(pun intended!) thanks for all the sharing & support everyone!

I have choc. chili in crockpot & ingredients for Oven braised Mexican beef. nomnompaleo.com has great recipes & even whole30 meals for

each day.

Daffodil - beautiful name and my favorite flower! Thanks for that soup recipe. I love eating soup at lunchtime and I will give that a try. I have some zucchini in the fridge that I was going to make noodles out of, but that is more of a production than soup - especially considering the fall weather we have been having.

Keep it up folks. For those that have been struggling, the change over should be happening soon!

For me, I am looking the results that I am seeing and feeling!

Hi everyone - good to hear all of the different reports. It's interesting how we're all doing the same plan, but our bodies react so differently!  

Yesterday was a tough day for me. I was tired and had some serious cravings throughout the day. One was for anything deep fried, which is really strange since I hardly ever eat anything that's been deep fried in my "normal" life. The other craving, which I struggle with most days, is for something sweet after supper. Some days I do better than others. Yesterday was not so good. I stayed compliant, but had a pineapple smoothie (made with homemade almond milk, pineapple, mango, and ice) and then also had an apple. Totally gave in to the cravings. But I guess it is a small victory that at least I didn't grab a bowl of ice cream or dive into chocolate! I am thinking that I will need to go past the 30 days to really try and deal with that sweet monster. 

On a better note, it's Day 10 for me and I've started the day out strong! Two fried eggs, sauteed zucchini, kohlrabi, and tomatoes, and an apple/egg muffin from the cookbook "Practical Paleo". http://balancedbites.com/practicalpaleo.  I also use recipes from Nom Nom Paleo and Well Fed 2, but this is another great resource if you're looking for other options. Some of the recipes do have sweeteners in them (honey, maple syrup, etc.) so I just skip those or take out the sweetener for now. Check it out if you're looking for more ideas!  

Have a great day everyone! 

Good morning, all.

Thanks everyone for pitching in on the bloating discussion yesterday.  It was comforting to know that others are having the same issue and that I am not just somehow immune to the Whole30.

I feel a bit less bloated today, although I have a formal gala tonight and my dress isn't looking awesome.  It is what it is.  I just try to remind myself that this is a work event, not a fashion show.  No one else is looking at my tummy.

Because I will be in my office all day and then at an event all night, I packed a rather epic lunch.  I have an entire head of butter lettuce and my knock-off PF Changs chicken lettuce wrap filling.  Then, I also have some tuna and a bunch of spinach.  My plan is to eat lunch at the normal time and then dinner around 4:30 before going to my event.  I also have an emergency kits of macadamias, a lara bar and some toasted coconut.  That way, I am full before heading over to the gala and I will not be tempted to try seemingly compliant passed appetizers or the dinner entrée.  There's just no way to know what is in those foods (soy, sweetener, etc) and I really don't want to undo my progress.  I plan to vigorously push my food around my plate to convince others I am eating.  That and a club soda with lime should do it!

I'm still bloated today too...I wake up fine then bloat up after breakfast and it's really jncomfortable! I didn't have this with my first whole30 so I'm not sure what is going on but I'm not eating any differently from last week so it must just be the detox? I can hear my tummy gurgling too

Apart from that I'm doing great...no thoughts of stopping even though today is supposed to be the prime day for giving up.

So I fell asleep at 7:30 last night feeling quite awful.  I woke up at 10 and forced myself to stay true to the plan but it was actually ok once I did it (I had put a sweet potato in the oven before I passed out and I had leftover short rib meat and it was delicious - seriously try nom nom's short ribs - the left overs are so versatile).  Then I fell asleep again and stayed asleep the whole night - crazy!

I feel much better today but my pants are still tight (grrrr - this much depravation should lead to looser pants)!

I don't even want my breakfast this morning and haven't had it yet.  SO it sits there...

And here's an interesting challenge - I have to cook a holiday meal for 14 people for next week - no one is on the plan but me and 4 of them are kids.  Menu planning stats tonight!

You got this puffinsmuffins! Planning ahead as you are will decrease the stress of it all for sure. Let us know how it goes.

I'm looking forward making the Mexican beef today. I bought containers (they disappear like the socks in laundry around my place) and am planning out my meals for my return to work Thurs.& Fri. I work 12hr. shifts 3x's a week & managed to do well the last day I worked, so hope that continous.

Have a great day everyone & an awesome DAY 10!!

Kerbi - I made a roasted pumpkin that would be a great addition to a holiday meal.  You saute compliant chopped up bacon in a frying pan, meanwhile gut a small/medium pumkin (from the top as if you were doing a jack o lantern).  Then chop up 3 or 4 apples or whatever will fit inside, stir the apples with a few (3 or 4?) chopped dates, the chopped up bacon and it's fat plus a generous amount of salt, pepper and cinnamon.  Roast for 1 hour 15.  (put the pumkin in something like a roaster because the shell will become very soft.  It was amazing - everyone in our family loved it.  I used the leftover pumpkin for a pumpkin curry.   And I agree Kerbi - avoiding all the junkfood SHOULD be resulting in looser pants - hopefully soon for all of us.  Either way, it's making us healthier inside, right? 

Can anyone share with me the chicken/apple mix to go inside lettuce wraps and also the PF Chang chicken recipe too?  

I have had some bison ribs in my freezer since January that I didn't know what to do with, after our roast chicken is eaten up I'll try the nomnom recipe, thank you!! 

Britishgal I also always feel okay in the morning and throughout the day feel more and more bloated.  

Anyone having some rashes?  I had a rash on my arm again last night and a bit on my forehead.. . is this detox?  

Hi-I started on September 8th. So far, so good. I haven't cheated yet. I'm doing whole 30 with a friend of mine, which definitley helps. But would like to join this group too for more ideas and support. At day 10, I can say that I am definitley sleeping better, my energy is up and I've stopped takingmy alergy meds (10 mg. Zyrtec) every day-which is amazing, since I've taken that pill every day for years...Apparently I'm allergic to dairy, wheat, sugar, luges or maybe gluten? Time will tell when I reintroduce these into my diet I guess. This is my first whole 30. To make things easier, I started ordering fresh-made whole-30 compliant meals from http://www.customfitmeals.com/. I'm not oncommision with these folks. I just had my first meal yesterday and it was really good. WILL keep you posted as I try more. Not all of their meals are whole 30 compliant-but usually 3-5 per week are, so I use these for my lunch. That leave me w only breakfast & dinner to figure out each day - much more do-able when starting a new program like this that involves so much pleanning and prepping...I hope by the end of the 30 days, I will be better versed and have some favorite/easy/go-to meals and snacks so I can cut out the extra cost. I have not made that mayonaise yet-but I will one night this week. That will add tuna & egg salad to my repertoire, which should help! I have been weighing myself (I know-we aren't supposed to) and that's the only thing that I have found dissapointing so far. the weight does not seem to want to come off. I am pot menopause-so I am sure hormones have something to do with it...but I will carry on-as the benefits far outweigh the one concern for now. :D

so I think she says you can use another vinegar (but I went and bought the vinegar because I am dorky like that) - coconut aminos are great and are in a lot of recipes so a good thing to keep around (yes a replacement for soy) - both were at whole foods (or amazon or this site called vitacost which is cheaper than amazon but you need $49 for free shipping).  I have been using the meat in soups and over sweet potatoes and veggies.  After I served them for dinner with friends I removed the rest of the meat from the bones so I just have a container of shredded meat in my fridge.

I'm realizing how helpful roasted veggies are to have hanging around...

• Administrators

Happy Day TEN!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be honest and say that the last 9 days have been some of the crappiest I've had in a long time but I feel a little glimmer of light starting to peek in.  Even today when I have wicked cramps and my whole body is aching....I can still feel the change coming.  My mind is clearer, I can feel a bit of energy starting to creep in and I feel like once my menstrual bloat dies down my pants might even be a bit looser.

Entering into this I truly thought that my regular habits were "pretty close" to Whole30.....but based on the NINE DAY HELLISH TRANSITION, I can for sure say that what I perceived to be true and the actual truth were considerably further apart than I thought.  I'm taking that as an amazing lesson in the ways that we can talk ourselves into and out of things and how we justify poor behaviour.

Onwards and upwards.   (and so grateful for all of you guys who post regularly and are honest and straightforward about how you're feeling....it's nice not feeling completely alone (or crazy!).

My biggest challenge is finding the right balance of fat and protein in each meal to completely carry me over to the next meal. It is a little difficult as I naturally want to move towards going low fat and limiting the protein when I am focused to give a diet my full attention. Then I needed to include a high fiber carb with each meal to make it till the next meal.

This plan is so different in that I am to get that fullness from adding protein and fat and dramatically reduce the carbs. This is turning the way I have been eating for the past 40 years, completely on its head.

Today is a good example. I had onions, peppers and eggs this morning around 7. Added a little extra ghee in, but I know I was a bit light on the morning fat. Was very hungry when I got home from shopping at 12:30. Made 1 compliant sausage link with broccoli and sweet potato. Was satisfied, but by 3:30, needed a snack. Kept it compliant with avocado and carrots and a cup of tea, but wish I did not need the snack. Will be making moo shu pork (Paleo) in lettuce cups for dinner.

It is just hard not feeling guilty for eating more when I am hungry.

I know that this is working for me. I have been one of the few that has been seeing results from the beginning. I can see that this is the right plan for me. I finally feel that can be successful and develop a healthy body and reach my personal weight loss goals. For the first time in a very long time, I have hope that I can turn things around. I just have to undo most of what I have been conditioned to do with each plan for most of my life. Sigh!

Archived