Urgently needing bathroom during long runs

LeahinTexas

Since eating this way, I cannot run much longer than 45 minutes without needing to go to the bathroom (poop)! This has caused a problem because my long runs are longer than this. I almost had an accident out on the last couple of long runs. It was extremely uncomfortable and stressful!

I followed this same program year before last and did not have this issue and I got up to 9 miles. I run very slowly. Back then it was 13+ minutes per mile. Now I am a little "faster."

Googled the problem and concensus seems to be the culprit is fiber. I did eat nuts the night before my long runs.

Anyone else deal with this?

This is a really common problem (not specifically on Whole30). And not just on long runs. I was never running more than 4 miles. The consensus I found was just to play around with your diet until you found something that worked.

I got to the point where I wouldn't go on runs until after, um, a number 2 at home, lol. I also found running on an empty stomach worked better, but I know this goes against the wisdom and guidelines of the Whole30.

For me, it actually got BETTER eating paleo.

I too am really surprised that this is just emerging as an issue now. I ALWAYS have to poop during a long run (we call them a "code brown"). I used to run with a run group and this was a big issue for everyone (not an issue that I needed to poop during a run, but that everyone did).

It makes total sense to me. When you move around a lot, it makes your intestines jostle too so they activate. I burp the entire time I play tennis, because the movement breaks up gas bubbles.

• Moderators

What day are you on? It is very common for your gut to go through a healing process in which things get a little "worse" before they get better. All that bad bacteria is dying and must exit the intestines. Once your gut is healed I bet you won't have problems.

Another good tip? Take Natural Calm magnesium (start with 1 tsp) before you go to bed at night. It helps things "move along" so you can be done with all that as soon as you get up in the morning.

• 1 month later...

I really appreciate all the answers. Yes, this much later!  Life has been busy, including dealing with the sickness and death of a good friend in September.

Still playing around with diet and still having the issue. How about this? I took two Imodium at 6:30 a.m. for a 7:30 a.m. 10k. No problem during the race! Yay! About 10 or 20 minutes after the run, I had to go.

Someone asked what day I was on. I did my first whole 30 in May, I think, and pretty much eat this way mostof the time.

I am watching the nuts. I can eat a lot of almonds, which is not really what I should be doing...

I am still working on this, but I have actually skipped my last two group runs because I wasn't sure how I would do. The problem is, there are no restrooms on our running route. Was supposed to run 8 miles this Saturday. We run through a residential area and then on trails that do not have restrooms. I have twice searched for nearby gas station or restrooms with my phone and found nothing.

So I am going to try my 8 mile run in a pack where there are restrooms and see how I do.

Going to try the magnesium and the water trick. Also, I need to pay more attention to how much water I am drinking. And, I need to do better with meals. I am not getting breakfast in so I am eating two meals and some snacks. Not good.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I use it on an almost daily basis. It's tough to get enough magnesium through our food because the use of chemical fertilizers has replaced more natural methods like manure and compost and therefore soils contain less nutrients for the plants to absorb.

I would try it a few times (like anything else) before using it the night before a race. For some people one teaspoon is more than enough, for some, a larger amount is needed.

I have this problem all the time and have not found a cure - sometimes the need arises so urgently it is a worry.  Thankfully has never happened in a "race/event" but constantly have this problem in training.  I have eaten pretty much Whole30 style since September and it is "worse" since being paleo??

Archived