Different ways to make eggs

ladyhoward

I love eggs and thankfully can tolerate them just fine, but I've always just made them scrambled or had them hard-boiled. Recently, I read that scrambling eggs will oxidize the cholesterol. Not sure how true this is, but I do have to be mindful of my cholesterol due to some high numbers. Can you please share some other ways that I can enjoy eggs so I'm not making them the same way all the time? Please be specific on the instructions - I'm a bit of a newbie to the kitchen :)

• Moderators

Eating eggs does not raise your cholesterol meaningfully. That is a myth many doctors repeat, but is nothing to worry about. I'm pretty sure that oxidizing cholesterol by scrambling is nonsense because I've never heard it before and it just doesn't make sense. I'm posting my egg recipes below. The list goes from my oldest to my newest, so you should look at them from the bottom up.

Boiled Eggs and Fruit

Fried Eggs and Bacon with Sliced Grape Tomatoes

Zucchini and Red Onion Frittata

Roasted Red Pepper Frittata

Tomato, Chili Pepper, and Sweet Onion Frittata

Sun Dried Tomato and Sweet Onion Frittata

Eggs Scrambled with Onion and Capers

Poached Eggs with Collard Greens in Beef Broth

Eggs Scrambled with Olives and Onion

Eggs Scrambled with Chicken and Apple Sausage

Pickled Beets, Eggs, and Onions

Baked Eggs with Spinach and Tomatoes

Arugula Salad with Tomatoes, Carrots, Olives, and Eggs

Red Leaf Lettuce Salad with Tomatoes, Carrots, Pickled Onions, Olives, and Eggs

Tomato and Basil Salad with Cucumbers, Pickled Onions, and Eggs

Spinach Salad with Tomatoes, Olives, Pickled Onions, Mushrooms, and Eggs

Scrambled Eggs with Tomatoes and Basil

Baked Eggs with Turnip Greens, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, and Onions

Fried Green Tomatoes with Scrambled Eggs

Baked Eggs with Roasted Red Peppers, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Onion, and Prosciutto

A Merry Christmas Scramble

Baked Eggs with Mushrooms, Grape Tomatoes, Beet Greens, and Onions

Baked Eggs with Onion, Lettuce, Tomato, Prosciutto and a Guacamole Topping

Baked Eggs with Tomato, Spinach, and Onion

I love love love to make original joes! I make this for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and I am contemplating a breakfast casserole. You can use left over ground beef or a hamburger broken up or you can use fresh (Legend has it that the first Original Joe was made by a customer asking the cook to throw in left over hamburger into his scrambled eggs). Along with the meat, I saute sliced mushrooms, a bit of onion and toss in a few good sized handfuls of spinach before I add in the eggs. I cook the mix just long enough for the spinach to start to wilt down and crack in my eggs. Cook until eggs are how you like and serve.

I often make a crustless quiche on the weekend with whatever leftover meat and roasted vegetables I have. In a lightly oiled pie pan, I put the meat and veg down first. In a bowl, I whisk 8 eggs with a bit of water and some salt and pepper. Sometimes I add herbs and spices to mimic the flavors of the meat/veg. For example, I had cumin/chili ground turkey and roasted tomatoes last week, so I added some cumin and paprika to the eggs, poured it over the meat/tomatoes, and baked for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Served with guacamole and lime wedge. Easy to eat, great at any temperature, and uses leftovers well. Hope that helps!

I make a version of what goodlifefarm described. Sometimes I add a little coconut milk to the beaten eggs to give more of a quiche texture to the eggs. Similar to adding a bit of heavy cream to a traditional quiche. I make mine in an omelette pan and cook on the stove at low heat a few minutes before finishing it off in the oven until the top is very lightly browned and the eggs are set. Not sure how long I cook it for, I just start checking it after 20 minutes and cook until it is done.

Eggs fried in ghee are yummy over just about all veggies, especially leftover stir fry. I love the runny yolks. Yum!

My version of Baked Eggs is a little different than Toms..I love a runny yolk. I take a ceramic smallish (6 or 8 oz) oven proof cup. I wipe a little ghee around the inside to help prevent a hard clean up later. I break two to three eggs in it. I usually use my NuWave oven to bake them for 8-10 minutes (8 for 2 eggs and 10 for 3 eggs), but I have also used my toaster oven at 350 for 10 minutes (you'll have to mess around with the time because I forget the exact timing). I usually scoop them out onto a bed of spinach that I've sauteed in ghee or coconut oil. I love hot and spicy, so I sprinkle some Trader Joes Jalapeno hot sauce on them. I never tire of this meal.

Archived