Fuel During Long Runs for Marathon Training

Caroline O'Carroll

I just started Whole 30 yesterday.  Was eating Paleo for a year and needed to jump back on it.  The caveat is I'm running NYC marathon Nov 2nd.  I have to do an 18 & 20 mile run during the 30 days. I want to stick with the program but concerned about fuel.

What can I eat during my long runs?  I typically have been eating Organic energy chews and Organic energy gu’s, http://www.honeystinger.com/.

I'm fine with only drinking water, but it's harder in terms of the food part.

Any help would be great.  I'm going 16 miles this weekend.

Thanks,
Caroline

The Honey Stingers are definitely off limits. I would advice browsing through the topics in this section of the forum as you will find lots of good ideas. Be advised that depending on where you are at now you might have pretty stinky runs for the first couple of weeks. Don't let this get you down as it is normal and will subside. I personally don't fuel when I run but I also don't run full marathons, was doing half marathons during my transition to paleo and Whole30 last summer. Do ensure you don't pre-load on starchy carbs before your run and do post-load on them.

Hey Caroline,

I'm running the NYC marathon too and have been trying out different fueling options. I am eating dates, raisins, and sweet potato during my runs. Post workout/run last week I ate chicken and butternut squash. I am still testing things out myself. Hope that helps!

Erica

Once you are used to running fat adapted you will not need to fuel much, if at all, during your long runs. I do all my marathon training runs, including the 20 milers, with just water these days. I still keep 4 dates in my sports bra, I just never feel the need to eat them anymore.

I will use gels for the race though. Then it is all about the rocket fuel.   B)

As Jennor said, eventually you will not need to fuel during your training runs.  But, in the meantime, if you need something to get you through in the transition period, here are some options:

Dried fruit (pitted dates are awesome)

Squeezable (compliant) applesauce pouches

pureed sweet potatoes or apples in a squeezable pouch

larabars - most of them are compliant; a few are not

Best wishes with the rest of your training and with the marathon.

Today was my first "long" run (10 mile pretty technical trail run) since starting the Whole 30. Today is my day 10. I'm used to Shot Blox or Gu on longer runs over 12 miles or so. I was totally expecting to bonk, so I brought along raisins and dried apple, along with Elete citrolyte mixed into my water.

At 25 and 45 minutes I ate some raisins and a piece of dried apple more out of habit than anything else. My energy was pretty consistent throughout the length of the trail. I was surprised at not feeling the need to "get my energy back up" with chews, gu, etc. Perhaps you will be pleasantly surprised as I was. 

Good luck!

Archived