350 Lbs. First Whole 30- 2nd attempt

Ninalia

First try I managed to stay on the program for 5 days. The 6th (yesterday) was a disaster. No need to reminisce about EVERYTHING that went down; however, it's worth mentioning my stream of thought while I took the first bite. It was something like this: "so I'll have just this one thing, the rest of the day I will eat healthy and later I will post what I ate and how I stopped, because if you have a flat tire you fix it, you don't go around and puncture the other three....etc etc", my thoughts were more of a fantasy, where I eat my poison and I stop after the first bite. Needless to say, not only did I not fix the tire, I totalled the car!!! So today I am back on it. One thing I'very learned from the short 5 days: my acid reflux was gone on the first day! ! And the weight (I stepped on the scale today since it's day one afain, ) 350.6, exactly the same as before!!!

Day 1

Breakfast - 3 scrambled eggs cooked in olive oil, one raw red pepper, black coffee 1/2 banana. Lunch- grilled lamb, green beans cooked in a little pork fat from the pork butt, whole raw tomato. Dinner- 3 chicken drumsticks boiled then fried in olive oil with frozen mushrooms and lettuce on the side. I also had some grapes and sunflower seeds inbetween lunch and dinner.

For next time you're tempted to eat something that's not compliant, just say to yourself, in a loud (internal) voice "NO" and  move away. Don't try to start justifying or bargaining, it's a quick road to nowhere good. Don't berate yourself or say anything derogatory (ie. "Just move away you big pig" - this may or may not have occurred in my head before...). If you need more than just no, maybe follow up with "I choose not to eat this at this time".

Well done starting right back in, and recognising the benefits you had from those 5 days.

Ninalia,

Hi.  Good job getting back on the wagon.  I feel your pain as I myself have a huge emotional component to eating.  Sometimes it's not as easy as just saying NO because, like I tell my hubby, I'm like a crack addict and can't stop thinking about it.  So, I thought I'd offer my tips for avoiding the pitfall that do come up and those are: 1) I bargain with myself for another time. For example on my first whole 30 I said, "after 30 days I'm going to gorge myself on X, but then X turned into a whole bunch of X's so I started a list of all the things I was going to eat on day 31--it was huge--every craving I wrote down satisfied that I was going to eat the whole thing in 30 days.  30 days later, AFTER some of the weight came off and AFTER I felt much better physically I no longer wanted it and it just ended up in the trash.  2) Start doing something else--a lot of times when my worst cravings start its because I'm unconsciously bored--so I try to take the dogs for walk, go through old papers and organize, clean up a room or whatever just get your mind occupied with something besides the food.  3) Worse case (because we trying to break the cycle with the whole 30) I would sub it for something I could eat-- for example: I will occasionally indulge a "sweet" treat on whole 30 like "peaches and cream"--just peaches with coconut milk, but very satisfying because of all the fat--if it's not sweet enough add a little date.  OR apple and almond butter.  It gets me over the hump, but I stress DO NOT DO IT EVERYDAY and I only do it after I've had a nice satisfying balanced meal so I don't over do it with the amount.  

Also in terms of weight loss.  You know your starting weight--don't get on a scale again until the end.  I know the temptation to weigh every second (I fight with it all the time) I've done many whole 30's and I've tried it many ways even weighing daily.  It really will frustrate you if you do, because mostly I've found I don't lose a pound for the first few weeks.  In fact, it's weird because can feel the weight shifting and my pants getting looser, but sometime the scale says I'm up, not down.  What I find is that most of the weight on the scale falls off at the very end and I have found an average of 20 lbs loss every time I've done the whole 30.  I'm a bigger gal too (weight 255) so I can appreciate how important any progress you can hold onto is, but STAY STRONG.  You can do this!!! 

Best of luck,

Nikol

Ninalia, Congratulations for brushing yourself off and coming back. That takes major strength.

Can I suggest maybe skipping grapes for a bit? They are a high sugar fruit, and given your context you may find it easier to stay on plan if you focus on veggies and meat and fat. Give yourself enough of those foods that you don't even think about wanting other things. If you want to include fruit, berries would give you more nutrition for less sugar, so that might be a better option.

Days 3 and 4

Uneventful, ate program foods every time I was hungry. Thanks Miss Mary for your suggestion; did not have grapes yesterday but I ate some today and I can feel hungrier. I also should cut back on pork, I keep on buying huge butts with lots of fat, I put them in the oven but if I cut them in 2 inch pieces and fry them I also get lots of fat. Amazing! I feel nausea while I write this!!

Ninalia, do you have a good support team? You need some kind of support. Whether it be family, friends, or a group here. You will have more success if you have support. Some one to talk too, vent too, get advice from, share recipes with or just chat with. If you need help finding a support group, just let me know. You can always join ours. We have a small group but very active and supportive. Just let me know.

keep up the good work !  I have made it to day 30 !   This is where you should come to - when you are feeling even the slightest bit bummed, stressing, fridge gazing... snack monster is lurking behind your back.  Just come on here and start typing.  There is so much support out here - lots of meal suggestions. 

Keep posting !  and be strong !

Archived