Trigger foods

I DEFINITELY had this problem during my first Whole30 (part of the reason I ended up doing a Whole90). Even carrots were a trigger for me! Only after about 2 1/2 months in did I start to lose my taste for sweet foods. I never, EVER believed people who said they didn't crave sweet foods, but I can honestly say I didn't! Apples taste almost too sweet to me now...crazy! Beware, however, that even when the sugar dragon is dormant, you still have to be mindful of waking it up - having finished my Whole90, I have been eating dates and a bit of stevia here and there just to test them out, and already I feel the dragon stirring again.

You're absolutely on the right track by identifying so early on that sweet foods are a trigger for you. Best advice I can give is what Dallas and Melissa always say (paraphrased): the best way to kill the sugar dragon is to starve it! When you crave something sweet, first assess if it's actual hunger you're experiencing, just a dip in energy, or an uncomfortable emotion. If it's hunger, eat something that's not sweet (a spoonful of sauerkraut will switch that sugar hankering right off!). If you're just tired/bored/cranky/etc., do something to distract yourself. Also, remember that it WILL get easier! :)

Ya sugar is a big one for me.  I think with this W30 ending right before Halloween, even if/when I introduce other stuff back in, I will keep away from added sugar stuff.  Figure the holidays will be a good time to fight the dragon.  Funny that we call it a sugar dragon ... isn't the slang for smoking opium "chasing the dragon"? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived